SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heemavn

Aphid infestation in large mature linden tree

New Homeowner
6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm a relatively new homeowner and this is my first summer in my house. A few weeks ago, I noticed a sticky spray covering my entire car (I park beneath a 30+ft linden tree). Upon doing some further inspection and research, I can confirm that it is definitely honeydew, being caused by a massive aphid infestation in this very large tree. It's driving me crazy! I have to hose down my car every morning before I leave for work - the one time I didn't, I walked back to my car after work to find about 10-15 bees on it.

I've done some research on solutions to this problem, but I can't use a systemic insecticides or injections because they are illegal where I live, and I have read that they are not for use on lindens anyway due to harm they could cause to bees (I love bees and know how important they are - I just don't want them all over my car!). The other organic solutions I have read about (insecticidal soap, dormant oils, high-pressure sprays of water) aren't really feasible because of how tall and large the tree is - I'm not sure how I could get high enough to spray the entire tree.

Has anyone else found a relatively organic and feasible DIY solution to an aphid infestation in a really large tree? Is there another type of systemic method/drench that is not harmful to bees and other beneficial insects? I know that I won't have to worry about the honeydew over the winter, but I understand that the aphids remain on the tree as eggs during the winter and I don't want to dread the summer because of this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor