SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jisgren

New House in Southeast Texas

John Isgren
6 years ago

We purchased 100 acres a couple of years ago and initially put a 800 sqft 1bdrm house that we are currently living in. Now we are looking at building the main house. Right now it is just my wife and I livings here full time with both kids away at college. Goals for the main house are: lots of outdoor living space, minimum 2 bedroom for guests, large kitchen. The other issue is there is a good chance that one or both of the kids could be living with us in the future.

We have done the typical scrounging of the internet for ideas and are currently working with a designer to customize what we want.

Here is the overall view of the upper part of our property where we will be building:

The lighter area will be pasture. The red lines are electric and end at the current house. The yellow is the proposed house location.

The idea is the garage acts as a barrier to the existing house and the main living areas of the new house look out creek and pasture. (North is up on this diagram so the main living areas face SE.

This is what we have come up with so far:

Upstairs we will have a pocket office in the open area. initially we will not build out either bonus space until we se if we need to.
This is inspiration for the exterior:

I know the laundry is a long way from the master, but this is a working ranch and we like to be able to come in from garage, change and shower in the guest bath and not have to carry the dirty clothes through the house.

We will likely eliminate the double vanity in the guest bathroom due to interference with the shower door. The powder room looks small and may be redundant with the guest bath accessible (Original layout had the guest bath as a Jack-and-Jill that just didn't work for us.

I know there are a lot of bump-outs, but we like the interest they add.

I did post the kitchen on that forum and this is where I am at there:

Comments (24)