SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unconnect3d__

Struggling Potted Lime Zone 5

Matt McLagan
6 years ago

Is it time to get a grow light and set up an ICU for this Lime tree? Here in Upstate NY the temperatures are steadily dropping and I can only get it about 4 hours of direct sunlight a day.

I received it with a strong case of scale and spider mites, in old poorly draining soil and set out to revive it. I've learned a lot along the way about house plants in general, and subjected this to some stress.
This is it after a long session of wiping the whole thing down with some alcohol to get the scale and mites under control.

It unfortunately continued to deteriorate, all the leaves showing yellowing similar to those big 2 ones off the lower branch.

I bare rooted it and put it into some Miracle-gro Citrus & Cactus with not enough extra perlite, and watched as the soil continued to stay wet for days. I noticed one of my Sansevierias showing signs of root rot in the same batch of soil, and that made make some Gritty Mix to transplant everything into.

So I bare rooted the poor tree again, but it was quite easy since it hadn't taken hold of the new soil yet. Then potted it into the gritty mix.

Over the next few weeks, the few new growth sprouts fell off and all the leaves continued to yellow and fall off until it looked more or less like the first photo.

The new growth leaves are taking a long time to grow, they're about 2 months old at least.
I'm imagining putting a cut out bucket over it with a grow light over it, would this be the best way to help it?
I just want it to be healthy.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus