SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gth842s

VM Powdery Mildew and JM Growth Patterns Questions

PacNorWreck
6 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone knowledgeable may be able to help me out on a couple of questions that I have:

1. I have three vine maples at my home in Seattle, WA. Two are 'pacific fire' vine maples in containers and one is the variety 'sunglow' in-ground. All of them, but especially the sunglow, have been prone to powdery mildew. I know the fungus won't kill the trees, but like most maple growers I grow them in large part because I appreciate their ornamental appearance as they change through the seasons.

a. Are vine maples especially prone to powdery mildew? I have two Japanese Maples and neither has ever shown a hint of mildew.

b. Are there any treatments I can apply that won't burn the foliage?

2. One of my Japanese Maples, an aconitifolium, has been a sluggish grower for me. It's in a fast-draining container soil with osmocote plus and occasional foliage pro and pro-tekt applications for fertilizer. It's in a spot that gets some wind but isn't particularly exposed, and it gets between 2 and 6 hours of direct sun depending on the time of year. The leaves have some wind burn, but no serious indicators of stress as far as I can tell. That said, it only ever flushes with growth once per year in the Spring for a total of maybe 2-4 inches of new height and width. I water it 1-2 times per week, depending on how hot and dry it's been. What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks very much!!

Comments (4)