SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisajrough

looking for luna moth help...

Lisa Rough
6 years ago

Hi there... i'm looking for someone who knows about luna moths... A little over four weeks ago, we found a luna moth caterpillar on our patio, and presumed a bird had been planning to eat it, but dropped it after hearing us coming. We placed the caterpillar in a jar with some hickory leaves, and only a day or two later, it built itself a cocoon, on one of the little branches we put in there, wrapped in leaves. We kept the jar inside for a couple of weeks, until I became worried that she wasn't getting enough light and temperature cues from outside, so we moved it out into our mudroom close to a window, and have since built a larger screened box for her. It's been four weeks today since she built her cocoon. She's still active when I move the cocoon, so I know she's still alive. Since she hasn't eclosed yet, does this mean she's diapausing? Or could the first couple of weeks in our house thrown her rhythms off and she's simply a late bloomer? Should her cocoon be laying flat on the bottom of her box, or is it okay to have it propped up on some sticks?

Comments (4)