SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
casey4361

6th Grade Teacher Needs Luna Moth Cocoon Help

Casey4361
10 years ago

I'm a science teach (teach 6th grade) and this has defiantly been the year of the weird bugs. I got really luck and the inch worms the kids and I found on the side walk cocooned and hatched into a moth in about two weeks. So when I was at the park yesterday and saw a HUGE GREEN CATERPILLAR I couldn't resist trying it again, this time on such a larger scale! However, I've never raised a Luna Moth before. And I'm not sure how to do it.

I have it in a large plastic container with a lid, that I take off ever couple hours to check on it. The lid does not have holes in it but its not air tight by any means. At first I didn't know what to feed it so I took clippings off a bunch of trees in my neighborhood. Now some internet research showed me that none of these clippings are appropriate. But overnight it seems to have cocooned into some oak leaves. so here's my question:

Is this just normal over nigh behavior? Or have I gotten lucky again and its already cocooned? (I did find it at the base of a tree, and the internet told me it cocoons on the ground)

Also, how long can I expect it to stay in its cocoon once its been made? A youtube video said "over winter" so will it hatch in the spring??

Guidance is appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored