SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kencupid

Hire a designer or DIY?

Levi Liu
6 years ago
First time home owner, excited but also stressed about home furnishings. The unit is closing soon, right now I'm torn between hiring an interior designer or just buying furnitures myself. It's a small 1-bedroom condo apartment in a high rise, only 650 sqf plus a balcony. I prefer a sleek minimalist style so there is really not much to buy in addition to major pieces such as bed sofa table etc. I do have my own visions and like to make decisions, but meanwhile concerned about overall style consistency and areas I'm not familiar such as window treatment, closet organizing, etc. can I pull it off? What will you do?
Attached is the floor plan of my apartment. I haven't seen it yet but should be closing soon. Thanks!

Comments (68)

• Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Haha I will do it myself lol
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No actually you won't!! The reason is every tension rod stinks out loud these days ! and will not stay up! You can buy one . But it needs to be drilled into the tile ( a simple small hole and a single screw ) or it WILL fall down. Don't do it yourself. You have no room next to the tile. Please get a little help and don't ruin the tile

• Related Discussions

Hire a structural eng. before hiring a KD/ID or design/build firm?

Q

Comments (25)
    Sophie Wheeler: You're assuming way too much. What makes you say that I don't seem to take into account the associated costs of removing bearing walls, when I clearly stated above: "I hate surprises, especially big ones. That's the reason we would like to know BEFORE we commit to this project just how many dollars we'll be spending on putting in beams, RELOCATING PLUMBING, ELECTRIC, DUCTS, etc." All the affected rooms will need new flooring that's not a news item for us. We also know we will need to spend money on floor matching if we enlarge the narrow opening between the kitchen and dining room. How much we will spend on this kitchen reno will not be limited so much by our finances but by the value increase that a large family kitchen will add to our 3000sqft , 4 bedroom house that has one big problem: A tiny, 60's kitchen more befitting a small cottage. We just simply don't want to overspend. The estimated size of the value increase will mostly inform our decisions.
    ...See More

Has anyone hired a professional designer to design an Ikea kitchen?

Q

Comments (1)
    Our IKEA store has a $99 design service where a local designer will sit with you and do the design - it was well worth it for us - even though we're continuing to tweak the plans and layout - but it's a good solid start!
    ...See More

ISO someone to hire who put my design into CAD

Q

Comments (2)
    I’d highly recommend the designer that our company uses. She is an independent designer, and makes all of our projects run smoother because she is so knowledgeable. Her design packages start at $650 and up, depending on what you need.
    ...See More

Hiring local designer or working remotely?

Q

Comments (8)
    Either way there has to be some traveling done by someone during the process. If you hire someone at your old location are you willing to pay for them to travel and meet you at the new location? If you choose/buy things at the old location, who is going to accept delivery and make sure the correct materials have been delivered? Is your builder going to take on that job? Does you builder expect you to order from local sources or is he ok with a designer ordering from her favorite tile/plumbing/appliance shop in the old location? Things you pick out in a showroom 6 hours away, might not look good in your house and location. You really should look at samples laid out in your new house. Current material and product backlogs complicate all of this process too. I just got some Brizo bathroom accessories in their Lux Gold color 6 months after I placed the order. Things go from being available 4-6 weeks out to not being available for 6 months, from one day to the next and the showrooms get little to no notice. I could never build a house long distance, specially not my "last" one! We moved to the new area and rented for 16 months. I was the designer and stopped by the site every single day. Moved in about 6 weeks ago and still have workers in the house, installing stuff as soon the back ordered stuff arrives. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

Levi....I've been in this home for 12 years and I have a tension rod in the master bathroom, and yes it has fallen maybe 4 times. I've put it back on and moved on to bigger things.....Get the rod and move on!

YouTube has plenty of demonstrations for drilling if you need to go this route...Best Wishes.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Twelve years ago the rods wee decent!!! Give me a break! Bought any recently? New and not improved!

For the price of a handy man, why risk ruining the tile?!!!

• jillybean103
    6 years ago

Great opportunity to gain confidence in your own skills. Search online for inspiration pictures, colors etc. Shop furniture stores and speak to designers in the stores. Have your layouts and measurements. If you're in a hurry, you could get a consult ....designers post reasonable intro packages for consultations at Groupon or Angies. Really can help pull your color palette together, but there are so many resources online. Don't be timid!

• PRO
    Linda
    6 years ago

A small sleeper sofa section may physically fit into the room but won't look right without enough space around it. if you have to squeeze in furniture the room will look cramped and feel claustrophobic. If you want seating for more people, consider buying a couple of higher end folding chairs. Those could be stashed under or behind the sofa or underneath the bed when not being used.

• mnmamax3
    6 years ago

I know you'll probably want to have your furniture before you move in but getting in the space and using large boxes to map out not only the size but the bulk of the furniture helps you visualize how much is too much.

• Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks guys. So I finally got to see my own apartment today. The closing is in 2.5 weeks and I plan to move in before November. I'll get the bed and sofa first, then work on adding other pieces.

For closet I decide to use Elfa. But I want to seek some opinions on window treatment. I originally was planning on nice drapery on both the living room and bedroom, then I realize the AC unit below the windows are really chunky so it might look weird with closed drapery. Should I go with contemporary looking shades or blinds? I want a brighter living room and a darker bedroom. Or should I do blinds or shades in living room, and blackout drapery in bedroom? What about the door to the balcony which is also in window's style?

Thoughts? Thanks.
  • Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    And here are some pics.
  • thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    No drapery at all w those window units as it will block air flow. You should look at Roman or solar shades mounted up high at the ceiling line. That way when open they can stack on the drywall and not block any light. Black out lining in bedroom, just sun control in LR.
  • thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    With your contemporary space you should look at an approach like this for the main space. It could streamline a lot of function onto one wall. A company like California Closets could do this:
    Contemporary Condo · More Info

Take your finish cues from the kitchen and carry over for a clean airy look.
  • Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thinkdesignlive, that's an awesome hand-drawn plan. Pro! To be honest I've always been thinking sleeper sofa on the left side of the living room and TV on the right side. Interesting you switched sides. I'll give this some good thoughts! Thanks again ~
  • DH
    6 years ago

Consider getting a glass shower enclosure. I detest shower curtains. They are hard to keep clean and they make a small bathroom feel claustrophobic.

Good luck. Small spaces can be more challenging to design than large ones. Do a lot of research first before you make any major purchases. Read all of the "101" articles here on Houzz, like Decorating 101, window treatments 101, what to look for when buying a couch, etc. And keep reading everything you can find about how to design a small space, discover your personal style, etc.

Jan is right that a good designer will design for you, and you will be in charge of every selection, especially if you state that upfront. And they can actually save you money through being able to access through the trade only lines, which are quite often higher quality with good prices compared to retail, but I understand your reluctance since you've had 2 friends with bad designers.

Use family hand me downs or thrift finds as temporary furnishings if you need something immediately. You do not want to rush things as a first-time DIYer or you could easily waste thousands of dollars on stuff that doesn't go well together or function as well as you hoped. There are a ton of very expensive retail stores that are selling poor quality Chinese imports. Many people list RH as one of the worst culprits for that.

• tatd
    6 years ago
    Levi TDL's layout drawing is awesome. Follow that plan and you'll have an amazing livable space.

Definitely don't put your TV on the right. You will see the messy TV and electrical cords when you walk in from the front door. Plus it's nicer to see a beautiful sofa and end table.

Just my 2 cents! Good luck. This is an exciting time for you. Congratulations!
  • thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago

Yes you want the 'heavy' wall on the left and the 'open' wall on the right. Just try it the other way with a plan (starting point for all good design) and you will see it won't work as well (this is all assuming you like the idea of the wall mounted multi function wall which IMO is the only way to go in a small NYC apartment that wants to go contemporary).

• Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    For the 'heavy' wall idea, I don't have many stuffs to put on all those floating shelves though. I plan to just have a smaller tv stand or console and put the tv on it (or hang it on the wall). Minimalist lol
  • Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Guys I'm really torn between the sleeper sofa options. I went to many furniture stores in NYC (like 12-15 of them, west elm, CB2, ethan allen, blu dot, DWR, pottery barn, C&B, R&F, IKEA, boutique ones......) but an ideal modern style sleeper sofas within $2k is really difficult to find, it's either uncomfortable or ugly or too big or outrageously priced. I'm a lil frustrated and think I might have to go with a more standard and 'boring' look, like the two attached ones here (one from Macy's and one from Bob's, both are actually pretty firm and comfy). What do you think? Any other suggestions? Or should I just order something online with guts based on pics and reviews?
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

Hello....Those do not look bad. Remind me again - why you need a sleeper sofa, when you have a bedroom that you can put a bed in. Do you have lots of company?

• Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yeah being in NYC, couch surfers like family, friends, old classmates/colleagues, visitors, NYE party-ers... quite often lol
  • Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hehe Magic!
  • DH
    6 years ago

Tons of inflatable beds on Amazon too. That's what we use for guests. Everyone has been comfortable on it including my boyfriend's 86 year old mom.

A regular sofa instead of a sleeper sofa will be much much more comfortable. Buy the best sofa you can afford: Kiln-dried hardwood, double doweled, 8-way hand tied and spring downy cushions. Consider getting a Lee Industries sofa from Crate and Barrel. It will be on the upper end of your $2000 budget (although I think they'll be having a sale right now), but Lee Industries makes a good quality sofa. Way better than couches from West Elm and many other places that sell subpar Chinese junk.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

If you buy the inflatable bed, you do not have to buy the essentials kit - as you can get sheets and pillow cases cheaper. When you do not have guests you can put it near your laundry area or right inside your bedroom entry door.

A sofa without the sleeper will be cheaper and you should be able to find something really nice.

Levi Liu thanked shirlpp
  • PRO
    Steel Roots Home Decor
    6 years ago

A good designer should save you money. It is worth the investment.

• PRO
    Linda
    6 years ago

Sleeper sofas aren't good sofas or good beds. The inflatable bed is a much better option. I really suggest not buying the sofa until you have closed on the apartment and spent a few days there. A couple cheap folding camping chairs will provide seating while you get to know the space and have a better feel for the amount of space you will (won't!) have

• Denise Marchand
    6 years ago

Congrats on your new home! It looks amazing and I love the afternoon light. I think you can do it yourself. It's compact enough so you can't load it up even if you tried!

Levi, thinkdesignlive did a wonderful plan. Follow that one and you will be very happy and comfortable. It looks like a banquette is suggested near the dining table which is perfect for extra seating across from the sofa. Nice job, TDL!

Another solution that I have recommended for clients in NYC is a company called Clei Wall Bed Systems. They have a rep (Resource Furniture-call for an appointment) in NYC. Take a look at the video on how this brilliant system works like a puzzle. It will sound expensive at first, but it is all you need and just mount the tv on the opposite wall. If you get something like this, install it on the long wall (left wall). It will open up the access to the room also. (TDLs plan will work very well also) The sofa from Macys is too clunky, IMHO.

You can incorporate a table, desk, sofa, storage and the bed flips out over the sofa when needed. There are all kinds of configurations and colors and can look very sleek and modern. If the sofa section is moved down near the window you will be able to get a chaise under the window. There is even storage under the sofa.

http://www.clei.co.uk/clei/double_wallbeds.htm

• Denise Marchand
    6 years ago

For the Clei System, you only need 9'-0" to 10'-0" wide depending on the sofa configuration, and will have room for a dining area if you have the table positioned under the breakfast bar using two chairs at the table, one chair at the desk and one chair floating (in bedroom or living room). Love the idea of the Ghost chairs (DWR). What I like about this system for you is that you can have a sectional/chaise, a real bed for guests, and open shelves at the end near the window so not to obstruct the view and light.

Here's a simplified view:

• Denise Marchand
    6 years ago

Here is the link pic from thinkdesignlive on houzz. I flipped it so you would get a good idea exactly how it would look. I always like curtains especially in NYC. A simple floor to ceiling, solid color or open weave frames that wonderful view. Blackouts are a must in the bedroom. Use the same fabric in both rooms for continuity.

Levi Liu thanked Denise Marchand
  • User
    6 years ago

If ur a fussy person (like me) n it will drive u crazy until u feel you’ve got it right AND u can afford it, hire a professional - it will save u lots of sleepless nights. Good luck. :).

• Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Denise and everyone - thanks for all your detailed suggestions. I've still got a little time so all options are open. I'll have to juggle between functionality, aesthetics, cost, and timing (my current temporary rental is expiring soon so no matter what we will have to move in before then). Good to have options so that I can have an informed and unregretful decision!
  • thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago

Did you go to the Room and Board store in NY? They have nice sleeper sofas....

Levi Liu thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    tdl - yes I went to the R&B store in Chelsea. It's a very nice 3-floor showroom, and one or two sleeper sofas are pretty nice but they don't have my color, custom order will take 7-8 weeks which will be too long, plus they don't have any sale, even on Columbus Day.

So my strategy will be either getting a regular sofa plus an inflatable bed, or getting that grey Bob's sleeper sectional for now. It's not the best looking one but it's comfy with right size. I can always replace it later if I have to..

Bed is ordered and on the way! Working on closet organizations and window treatment plans at the same time. All happening! Anxious but excited!!
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

That Bob's sofa is not that bad. It is pretty much neutral so you can always chic out the space with some funky chairs.

Levi Liu thanked shirlpp
  • Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Opened up to non-sleeper sofa options, decide to worry about guest sleeping situation later. Went back to Room & Board and tried more than 20 sofas, having my eyes on two of their sofas -- Reese and Jasper. Both US made with kiln-dried solid wood, pretty much same size. Reese is beautiful and well made, cushion is fiber and form, I prefer a firmer sofa but it's really on the firm side, the seat could be a little deeper, and Reese is pretty pricy. Jasper is sleek with straight lines and very comfortable, cushion is fiber feather down blend, firmness is perfect now but might sink in with time, more wrinkle prone and fluffing needed, $200 cheaper than Reese.
    Any thoughts? Comments? Experience using them? Thx.
  • Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The tufted one is Reese, the flat one is Jasper.
    Also anyone familiar with R&B fabric families? Plain-weave, jacquard, boucle... not sure which ones are better!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Reese is better piece if size is right for your space. Have you done a scale drawing recognizing you need 3' of walking space around furnishings?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I looked up the Reese and I would suggest the 75" sofa and if you need before Nov 26 2017 you have to get Flint Sky (gray/blue) weave fabric. I would do the more colorful choice of Flint Blue and wait the few more weeks for delivery. These sofas are only 34"deep so if you are taller person, this will feel shallow to you. I am posting a rough scale drawing for you. This is very tight space. Not sure where they plan on having a cable outlet but assumed on the interior wall. You can put one or possibly two small scale chairs. No back stools if there is a breakfast bar at kitchen window. No room for a coffee table unless you eliminate one chair. Two "C" type tables is probably best. A 60" console for TV 16" deep leaves only 2' walking space through the room to the door to balcony. Hope this helps you. Condo scale furniture is a must. I will post rough scale sketch and photos next.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here is scale drawing. This is very small space so i have noted sizes. Don't waste money on uncomfortable sleeper. Get an Aero bed. More comfortable and easy to stow in closet or storage unit.
  • Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Flo. Reese in-stock colors also include Tatum Grey and Pixel Linen. If I choose Reese I'll go with grey since I need a monochromatic LR. If I do Jasper I'll go with Dawson Cement. I'll need a 85'' or 86'' one on the right side wall. I'll need a TV stand and small dining table on the left side wall. It'll be compact but I'll make it work. Yea condo is too small lol
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I cleaned up this sketch and did a scale drawing of your "actual" space as shown on the layout. It will be slightly smaller in real life, due to the way they have noted the measurements and the additional space of what appears to be a utility box under the window and then a AC/heating unit as well. But here is the layout using the sofa you mentioned, (the one you are thinking about would be 1" long than this template) and I put a custom table 48" x 24" wide with 4 very small scale chairs where you indicate. These chairs need to be 12-14" wide. Then I put two small cube tables for coffee tables at 18" sq. A small scale guest chair with a 18" round garden stool for a cup of coffee, etc. I put a 54" long x 16" deep console for a TV that is probably a 42" flat screen. Might get a larger one on it, but smaller might be better, if you are putting a tv in this room. A rug will be hard to put in here due to push back needed for chairs and walk through needs. There is only about 2' of space through the room and into the seating area and going to the door to the balcony. We like 3' but with that size sofa, not happening. Might not like these facts, but that is the facts. Hope you can use this information to your advantage. Oh that chair is only 24x24.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

This is a "C" table. It can slide under the edge of furniture and is very space friendly. They come in many styles, sizes and shapes. Pier 1 has them on sale for 50% off every so often. When they have that sale you can get a couple for around $50 ea.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

The tip on fabrics is the tighter the weave the better the fabric. Looser fabrics like Boucle tend to "pull" and don't hold up as well. That is why I selected the first fabric rather than the other two from Room and Board. But your choice.

Another option for a "coffee table" is a bench with storage and a sliding firm top for use as a coffee table. This might be a good option for you. Every item in a small space should offer more than one function and this is a 3-fer!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

A way to introduce some color would be to do a tripod floor lamp behind that guest chair for color and additional ambient light in your space. You could also use a "arc" lamp on one end of the sofa. They don't take up much floor space but provide nice ambient lighting as well without being on a table. All space savers.
    Something like this one might slide under the edge of the sofa and be a space saver and good light source.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Little cubes like this help add additional seating without taking up a lot of room as well. We call them "poufs".

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Small "garden stools" can serve as end tables for your guest chair and they come in many types and styles and price ranges. Once you select your main furniture pieces, then you can decide what additional pieces you might want.

Hope the scale floor plan, furniture size suggestions and furniture items help you in your search. Enjoy!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

• User
    6 years ago

I've heard good things about some IKEA (gasp) and West Elm sleeper sectionals. Easier on the budget than some places, modern, and available. If you haven't owned a sleeper before, be warned- they are heavy.

• Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks a lot Flo. I learn a lot every day doing this apartment. It's endless, exhausting but exciting at the same time, but I don't regret DIY~ People are very nice here to share their expertise and suggestions, I can't wait to put everything together (piece by piece slowly...)
  • Levi Liu
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Kinda lock down to some final sofa options. I'll make my final decision, but thoughts?
    Closing next week, already mentally exhausted~~