SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewdclark

Heating Plan in a Barn/Home

6 years ago

I have a medium size barn in Michigan. I plan to convert this barn into a single unit family residence. The walls will be CC foamed to an approx R21. The attic floor (that doesn't exist yet) will be approx R49. Main floor square footage is 2300 sq ft and ceiling height is 12 feet. Upstairs will have 4 bedrooms, 2 baths and a kids open space and be approx 1600 sq ft. with ceiling height of 9 feet. House is on propane. Plan at this point is for a 400 AMP service.

The barn currently has a slab concrete floor. Current plan is to add hydronic floor heat on top and then pour self leveling concrete before LVT'ing the floor to finish.

Question for you all is this: With an assumingly well designed pex tubing plan, will hydronic floor heat and the use of several ductless split system heat pump units suffice to keep the house cool in the summer and warm in the winter? Thats a big question--I know. Just looking for some opinions from across the fruited plane.

I want to avoid ducts if possible inside the home. But I also want to ensure efficiency and cost. I have a few HVAC firms working on this too, but you all usually provide excellent information. Thank you kindly!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz