SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Winter Storage Preparations For Those In Cold Climates.

Hello Everyone! I was asked ( by a friend ) to share how I prepare my trees for their winter storage. Living on the East Coast of Virginia, I will experience temperatures that will drop below freezing for months. Sometimes we see deep freezes as well as snow and ice storms. This preparation is for colder climates that have or can see freezing temperatures and that cannot just simply cover our trees with frost cloth. My trees need more protection and cannot possibly survive being outdoors and protected with tarps/ lights etc. they have to be brought inside for the winter dormant period.

I will watch the nighttime forecast and once I see the temperatures start to reach around 45 degrees for a nighttime low, they will be brought inside for the winter. They will stay inside until mid April and then again, only until the nighttime temps reach above 48-50 degrees.

Victor has experimented with several methods since he lives in Southern California and some of you need to follow what is best for your growing conditions. I am not advocating for you all to cut your leaves like I do to prepare your trees. This method is because I have so many trees to bring inside that I have to do this for space reasons as well as to keep the insects at bay. I will leave some new growth at the top of each tree as well. The majority of the mature leaves will be cut. If I could, I would let the leaves drop off naturally because this is what is best for the trees. Sometimes we have to help Mother Nature prepare and that is what I do to ensure that I don't have any trees that will have issues over this long period inside my house.

The middle of September is when I will stop giving my trees any additional fertilizers. I don't want to encourage any new growth and I want them to start settling down for the season. Once the temperatures start to cool off ( it will be the nighttime temps) you will see the bottom leaves yellowing and shedding from the trees. This is a sign that fall is right around the corner and I start to think of my annual "March Of The Plumeria" for my trees.

At the beginning of October give or take a week or so, I will start the process of cutting leaves from my trees. I will cut the leaves and leave about two inches on the leaf stem where it attaches to the main tree. These stems will naturally fall off in about ten days. I do not advise taking the leaves and ripping them off. This could harm your trees and cause rot to set in at the leaf node. Use cutting shears or sissors and please wear gloves due to the huge amount of latex that you will see. I will add some Bayer systemic on top of my soil containers . Once the stems fall off I will wait a few days before I spray them with Bayer 3 in 1 Insect spray. I will also slow down on the watering process to allow them to be ready for the move inside ( usually around the end of October) I want my containers to be on the dry side but if it rains or they are slightly moist, I don 't worry. I'll wait a few more days to let them dry out. I will spray a second time with the Bayer to catch any insects that might have laid eggs.

Some of you will not have to go to this extreme of forcing your trees into dormancy. Some of you can bring in your trees and allow them to go dormant on their own time. People that live in colder climates have to bring in their trees and some can allow the leaves to drop naturally. But I don't have a choice when I have so many trees to bring inside. I have read about many losing trees last winter because of heavy wet containers that are placed in garages and are seeing temperatures that are to cold for our trees. Just remember that cold and wet roots are not good for these trees and letting them dry out a little will benefit the ones that are inside. If you intend to keep them growing and are using lights.. I still water them using the wet dry method. My seedlings and first year rooted cuttings will stay under my T-5 lights all winter ( 12-14 hours) on a timer and on seedling heat mats.

If you have to place your trees In A garage you can place them on a wooden pallet or something equivalent to raise them off of the floor. If the ground freezes then you can keep the rootball from those temps and allow the air to circulate under your containers. Keeping them on the bare floor is allowing them to be as cold as the cold elements. You can always buy a small electric heater and use a thermostat to come on when it drops to 40 to keep the room warm enough. You can find these at Lowes.

The other trees that I prepare will be placed in an area upstairs in my house and some will go inside my greenhouse. A few will stay downstairs because they are to large to move elsewhere. ( see picture) I will keep the temperature set ( the ones in the greenhouse) on a timer to allow them only to stay quiet during the winter and not encourage growth. ( my heating bill will be sky high) if I let the heater try and let them stay active plus my hubby will have his eyes rolling again.. lol!

Some say to not water at all during the winter. Again, everyone has their own methods and you all use what works for you. I will admit that I will water my trees every couple of months while they are quiet. When I say water, I mean I give them a taste of water. Maybe a cup to each tree every two months. Once spring arrives they are already pushing leaves when inside my house. They all are used to my routine and they all come through without any problems. If I do have a loss, it's usualły the newly rooted cutting. I don't have any losses on my large trees and they sail through winter every year for me.

I hope this will help some who don't have the luxury of leaving your trees outside year round. You all my think we who live in colder climates are crazy for doing this every year, and you might be right. . But when I see the blooms in my yard it is always worth the extra work each year. I do love my trees.. ❤️

Laura

Comments (23)