SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_hewitt80

Kitchen Reveal

Cheryl Hewitt
6 years ago

I've been holding off on my reveal until a cabinet panel was corrected and we got something hung on the art wall, but months have gone by. We are still waiting for the cabinet maker to correctly make the panel - maybe the fifth time will be the charm! And we seem to be lacking momentum with getting art selected, so what the heck! I had the day off (just returned from welcoming a new granddaughter into the world), so I snapped some pictures with my cell phone. Please forgive the lack of picture quality. I'm kind of bad at it! The wood coloring/grain looks blotchy in my pics, but does not in person.

We gutted our kitchen and dinette October 29th/30th, 2016 with the help of friends who like to smash things! :) Work started the second week of November. We were back in the kitchen mid-February, with several outstanding items uncompleted.

Here goes! So much (all) credit goes to GW for this kitchen. I can't thank you enough!

The materials list:

Granite:

Perimeter: American Black, suede finish, aka leathered

Islands: Blue Ray, stained granite, polished

Cabinetry: Woodland, Caramel Stained Cherry

Range hood: Vent-a-hood JDH142/C2 SS 42", Lip treatment Finish: Anitque copper, 300 CFM

Hardware: basic modern bar pulls

Clean-up sink:

Elkay 33" x 18-3/4" x 9 1/2", E-granite, LKS35BK, Black

Insinkerator food waste diposal with Air switch STS-SOSN

Faucet: Delta Essa Collection (9113T-DST) 16" high

Drinking faucet: Brizo cold water tap, 9-1/3" high

Soap dispenser: Brizo, 2-3/4" high

Prep sink:

Elkay 16-5/8" x 16-5/8" x 8", E-granite, ELG1515, Black

Soap dispenser: Brizo, 2-3/4" high

Faucet: Delta Essa Collection (9913-DST) 14-1/2" high

Appliances:

Sub Zero 36" Built-in Over-and-Under Refrigerator/Freezer, Panel Ready

Sub Zero 36" Integrated Double Refrigerator Drawers, Model: ID-36R

Wolf 36" Induction Cooktop, Flush Installation

Wolf 30" M Series Transitional Convection Steam Oven, flush mount

Wolf 30" M Series Transitional Single Oven, flush mount

Bosch Benchmark 800+ Series (SHV7PT53UC) Built-in Dishwasher, Panel ready

Sharp Microwave Drawer: SMD3070AS

Misc:

Island light fixture: Parallax-Eleven Light Island

Light switches: Maestro C-L dimmers

Backsplash: FireClay Glazed Thin Brick, 2-1/2" x 8-1/8", Snow, Gloss finish

Flooring: Mannington - Meridian Stucco 6" x 48"

Windows: Pella 8'W x 4'H, and Pella sidelight by patio door

It's a long room, so first two pictures that show the basic layout.

Eating island with MW drawer and double refrigerator drawers. Ovens to the left.

The cooktop wall. Appliance garage houses our coffee maker and KA mixer.

Our induction cooktop is mounted flush with the granite. It's incredibly easy to clean.

We love this drawer under the cooktop. Our kitchen company wasn't going to do it until we inquired about the possibility. The Wolf induction cooktop has a very low profile, so it was easy to do. We needed to have the cabinet installers scoop out the back corner for electrical. They also lowered the sides of the drawer by 1/2"-3/4".

Spice drawer to the right of the cooktop.

The kids call this the Sandwich Drawer. We keep butter knives in the drawer for convenience, especially handy when making school lunches. (This drawer is directly below the spice drawer.)

Chef's drawer to the left of the cooktop. I love this drawer!
We put in an 8' wide window to brighten up the space. Our house has deep soffits, so it's rare that any room feels bright and cheery. We put in a LOT of canned LED lights, too.

I love having a single basin sink. I used magnets to hold the sink organizer in place, because suction cups won't work with E-granite.

I love the feel of the suede/leathered granite!

(Continuing below.)

Comments (166)

• skmom
    6 years ago
    Oh! I forgot to mention, I'm totally taking your idea of the little trash can under the sink for dirty rags... genius! I mentioned it to my hubby and he thought it was a good idea too. I'll use it for my dirty dish towels because I don't like washing them together with my other cleaning rags and that's where my kids keep dumping the dish towels in with and I keep pulling them out to separate, but I didn't have a good spot for them. It'll go under my island prep sink, I don't have a bunch of stuff under there so it's perfect!

And yes, I do love using my new kitchen, the layout is SO much more functional now! :)
    Cheryl Hewitt thanked skmom
  • C Pen
    6 years ago

Thanks for the full reveal with all the pics and all the details! I saw a few pics of your kitchen quite awhile back on another thread and looked desperately for a full reveal.So happy you put this together. Your kitchen is true perfection! Unique, gorgeous, and meticulously planned. If you weren't so dang helpful and humble, I'd be envious!

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Reveal - Traditional Quiet White Kitchen

Q

Comments (64)
    @erinf8 - The crown molding detail in our house is very odd. It is actually 1-3/4" picture molding mounted approximately 1/2" from the ceiling. Since the house is so old and the ceilings far from plumb, the 1/2" space can vary in dimension in any given room. The kitchen ceiling was terribly out of level as well. We feathered down the plaster as best as we could so the variances wouldn't be obvious. The final crown detail was actually a big disappointment of mine in this room. I could not get the cabinets guys or my carpenter to come up with a solution where we could get that 1/2" reveal at the top of the cabinets. We would have had to create extremely long scribes and had we not been running out of time, they might have figured it out. So at the cabinets the shadow line you see at the top is because the molding doesn't touch the ceiling there. It is a big compromise but when I look at the whole room, I try not to dwell on it. Sometimes working in an old house can be really challenging. I am glad I stuck to my guns and kept that little molding when I got a lot of unsolicted advice to use something larger. It just would have looked SO out of place next to the other rooms in our house. The space between counters and uppers is 18". The light colors make it all appear more airy, I think. Don't you love that salt box? I just got it two weeks ago at Crate and Barrel (Homestead Salt Cellar $9.95). It is the perfect size and it has a lid.
    ...See More

Kitchen Reveal - Brown Painted Kitchen

Q

Comments (14)
    We replaced both our lazy susans. On one side we did a stack of drawers. The paint color is the same on both sides, there must a shadow on the photo causing the different paint color impression. The other side we turned into a recycling center. With the dead space between the pullouts, we store extra bags, stepstool, and the sharps container (our older dog now has diabetes). Open: One side of the pantry has pull out shelves:
    ...See More

Kitchen Reveal 2! Dark Green, Black, and White

Q

Comments (50)
    Go for the green! Not difficult to find white marble with dark veining but very difficult at my price range and to find the exact veining I wanted. Calcutta black was too expensive and I wanted very dark and not too close together. I found this one and was so happy and then they cut the backsplash on the wrong part of the slab by accident!! The left 1.5 feet of it was not supposed to be used, and that’s the one type of mistake that cannot be fixed. Oh well, I’m still happy with it but at the time boy was I upset (see slab and approved template below. Just shows every project has its problems. I also used enhancing sealer which made the veins darker. Sorry probably way more info than you asked for haha.
    ...See More

Kitchen Reveal - Before & After

Q

Comments (32)
    @anna_682 you bet. Here you are: Vanity Vanity Mirror Vanity Light Wish we had the room for a ~30" vanity, but it just would have been too tight. There are so many more options in a 30, but we're happy with it. Looks good and is built well. The mirror for the price is extremely well built and we love the light.
    ...See More
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    6 years ago

C Pen, thanks so much! We are loving our kitchen. Thanksgiving was relatively easy even with 25 guests. I'm still walking on air over the wonder of it all.

• C Pen
    6 years ago

Hi again, Cheryl, wondering if you could give some insight/feedback on your drawer handles. Looks like possibly a brushed finish? Do you get your clothes caught on the ends? I'm looking at chrome handles, but the tester I bought on Amazon shows fingerprints.

Thanks!

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'll have to check, but I believe you are right that they have a brushed finish. They do not show fingerprints. (Talk to me about fingerprints and smudges on polished granite! Sigh.) The only time I get caught on the handle ends is when I'm wearing a sweatshirt with a front pocket. Then I am constantly getting hooked and stopped in my tracks. Thankfully I rarely wear them.

• chicagoans
    6 years ago

SO pretty! I can tell that you put a ton of thought into all the details. Enjoy!

Cheryl Hewitt thanked chicagoans
  • athleticannie
    6 years ago

Beautiful! We have a similarly sized kitchen that we are planning now. Could you tell me the distances between your islands and the between your islands and each cabinet run?

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Prep island

Seating island, aka Roger

There is approximately 40" between the two islands.

We skimped a bit on aisles out of necessity. Living with it we've found it's rarely an issue, but in the back of my mind I'm worried that someday, like 30 years from now, one of us will be in a wheelchair and we won't be able to easily navigate the kitchen as is. I could be mistaken, though, because in my mind's eye I'm thinking of my niece's wheelchair which is fully motorized and rather large, but not all wheelchairs are so large, right? But this is all what-if worry, not something that we are actually facing. I guess if and when that day comes we'll be facing another remodel. The rest of the house is barrier-free and we plan on aging in place in this home. Other than in my hypothetical doomsday mind, these aisle widths work for us. More space would be sweet, but this kitchen is too narrow to accommodate, so it is what it is.

Floor plan w/dimensions

• floey
    5 years ago

I'm so glad I found these pictures of your kitchen. I was looking for pictures of the Adura Max Meridian Stucco flooring. Even the flooring store had no "real" pictures. You sold me on this floor. Everyone said to get LVT in a wood look but I thought it was too much wood with the cabinets and hardwood floors throughout the house. I was going back and forth on the Porcelain color and the Stucco. Stucco is warmer and matches better. I love love the pictures of your flooring and you have made me decide this is what I will pick. Everyone said everything I would have said about your kitchen. Very thought out. I also love the picture window and the drawer below the cooktop. Love everything. Is there anything I need to know about this floor? How is it holding up? You have no idea how happy I am that I found these pictures. Thank you for all your hard work and answering everyones questions.

Cheryl Hewitt thanked floey
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, floey.

We still love our LVT flooring. It's holding up really well. One negative is that it shows dirt, but inversely that's also a positive as you know when the floor needs to be swept or mopped.

• floey
    5 years ago

Yes, you can keep on top of it. Did you buy your flooring locally or online if you don't mind me asking?

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We bought it locally. There were several flooring places that carried it in our area.

• K R
    5 years ago
    Beautiful! Love the sandwich drawer!
    Cheryl Hewitt thanked K R
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Sara Sitardites. It's a handy drawer for sure. :)

• vicbayside
    5 years ago

Great family kitchen, so well thought out, congratulations and enjoy! I love your flooring choice, I may be using a LV in an adjoining den to kitchen, kitchen has existing wood.

I used a double Wolf gas range in my last kitchen and switching to induction this time around...why was Wolf your choice? I haven't really shopped yet, just checking on what others have chosen and why. Thank you!

Cheryl Hewitt thanked vicbayside
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Vicbayside, we chose Wolf and Sub-zero appliances for several reasons; reputation and features were leading factors, plus it's a local company, so service is readily available.

The Wolf induction had five hobs, four bridges, and three boosts. It is low profile and we were able to have it flush mounted and use the drawer underneath due to its low profile. We absolutely love that it's flush. Not only is it sleek, but it's really easy to clean.

I also wanted a combi-steam oven and they have a nice one.

• Marci
    5 years ago

Cheryl, could you tell me how deep your broom closet is, and is it sufficient? Thanks for the detailed pictures. It is so helpful seeing real "stuff" in the cabinets.

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

It's wonderful to revisit this kitchen. Still - Love!

(Re island names I've always been an advocate for 2 or more names and when they grow up to choose their own name as well. (That's what we did in my family.) Lovely to meet Oahu Roger and Jessica Kauai. ;) (Just kidding: or not if you like to name inanimate objects like cars etc.))

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Marci, the cabinet is 9" deep. Yes, it's sufficient for our needs. I have been trying to figure out if that's because we have a lot of other storage space and maybe I have put things in other locations which makes this seem adequate, but after some contemplation, I don't think that's the case. It doesn't hold the vacuum cleaner, but it has a broom and mop, and such.

yeonassky, Oahu Roger and Jessica Kauai, nice! We had to have multiple names for our kitten. We settled on Maximilian Augustus I, aka, Max. Our cars have names (Skittle and Storm), but that is due to Ford forcing us to name them in the mobile app, rather than our desire to name inanimate objects - not that we're opposed. :)

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

Love your kitchen! Love how you took an awkward space and turned it into a functional beauty! Love how it doesn’t follow all the rules because the space doesn’t allow it to but it works wonderfully! Love the melding of beauty and function in a space where you wouldn’t expect it.

I have a favor to ask. You posted pics of a party buffet spread on another post a few months ago but they disappeared. I’d love to see them again. Eye candy!!

Cheryl Hewitt thanked bbtrix
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bbtrix, thank you so much. We really love it and appreciate it every day. It wouldn't be as functional or pretty without the influence of this message board. I bow down to the kitchen gurus on this board.

This pic?

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

Yes! Great use of an island!! It’s a great space to entertain!

• waverly6
    5 years ago

Resurrecting this beautiful reveal of an amazing kitchen. It came up in my search for Wolf 36 inch induction. Well done, I could spend hours repeating every well deserved compliment already mentioned above. Just going to keep it brief,Love your attention to detail, your beautiful finishes, your well thought out organization and storage needs and for keeping it true to your own needs and what works for your own family. I have taken some great ideas from here. Thank you and well done.

Cheryl Hewitt thanked waverly6
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, waverly6. I'm glad you found ideas you can apply to your situation. This forum helped me create this kitchen, so it makes me very happy that in turn my design can help you.

Happy designing!

Cheryl

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Thanks for pushing this reveal up Waverly! I visit Cheryls's kitchen reveal often as well. Also one of my top favorite kitchens, from style to layout to organization! I'm also borrowing several of your ideas. Thank you for being to generous with photos and ideas : )

Cheryl, might I ask, in the last pic above (and in the Happy Thanksgiving pic), did you happen to make your own charcuterie board (and if so, what type of wood did you use?) or purchase it somewhere? Great size for a big spread and I agree, total eye candy on display! Seems I remember the technique for making the designs in the wood, but can't recall what it's called.

Cheryl Hewitt thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, 2Many! We did make the board. I bought a sanded 18" x48" panel from Menard's. I believe it was birch, but that's a guess. We did a lichtenberg design on it and treated it with food grade cutting board mineral oil. We reapply the oil as needed. It's berry stained, but we still love it and use it often when we entertain.

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

Cheryl, yours is one of my favs too!! I used your charcuterie pic as a styling base when I did one on my island during the holidays. It was a big hit. Love seeing your reveal come up again!

• floey
    5 years ago

Cheryl, I wanted to let you know I put in the floor you have in your kitchen and I couldn’t be happier with it. I’m so glad I found your posts. I went from a dark floor to a very light floor. It’s so easy to clean and yes, you can see the dirt the dog brings in but you can keep on top of it and therefore it’s much cleaner. (Don’t judge the rest of the kitchen as I didn’t get new cabinets as they’re 40 years old) But just wanted to show you the floor.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bbtrix, thank you! Pinterest has started sending me ideas about "Grazing Tables" as a hot new idea, which is basically a new label for an old idea. We're so on top of this. Look at us being all hip and trendy. ;) lol

floey, oh my goodness! That flooring looks fantastic in your kitchen! Love it! Don't apologize for your cabinetry - your kitchen is beautiful! :)

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bringing this thread up caused me to read through everything again and I thought there were things you might like an update on now that time has passed. (BTW, rereading this thread filled me with gratitude for you all, all over again. Such kindness.)

1. This past winter my partner painted the top bricks that turn the corner in the bump out window so that they have a finished look to match the other bricks. It took approximately 30 seconds + two years of procrastination. LOL
    2. We had film applied to the 8' window by the clean-up sink and added a deep blue top-down blind installed. The film is reflective on the side facing the street and offers a lot of privacy until evening and then we drop the blind and it's like having a wall there. No more fishbowl.
    3. In the end, we decided against adding dividers in the drawers for utensils and flatware. Dividers take space, but more than that, we don't need them to keep things organized. We simply put things back in their place. Easy peasy.
    4. In February of this year we FINALLY installed a Stas picture hanging system on the art wall. Surprisingly, at least to me, it's really economical to buy such a thing and easy to install. The impetus that moved us forward was that I started painting last fall and we finally had art to display. Using this kind of system allows me to change out the paintings without putting hardware into the wall. Woot!

• floey
    5 years ago

Love the art work especially the top right picture. I’m saying it’s the ocean but maybe it isn’t. Looks like that to me. An angry ocean. Ha ha. Very nice

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, floey . To me it looks like molten lava, but I can see an angry ocean, too. :)

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Thank you Cheryl... yes, that's the term I had forgotten - Fractal Lichtenberg! Always nice to meet/know others who love to try new things and are creative - I didn't know you painted - love them and the way you have them displayed... and the middle one is my favorite : )

I did not need to read it took your partner 2 years to paint the thin bricks! LOL! We are putting in brick veneer on a few walls, and later I'll antique them just a wee bit. That project has been put on hold and my fear is... not for another 2 years!

"No more living in a fishbowl" did you say? Ha! 12+ months now since we took all window coverings from our windows (the bedroom being the single exception), and I've gone well past "I just don't care who sees me in my jammies" phase! Loving the natural light, ready for privacy though! Your solution sounds perfect and very attractive.

Cheryl Hewitt thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

2ManyDiversions, don't follow our timeline! LOL. I cannot push that man.

I understand your "I just don't care who sees me" frame of mind. That's how I was, too. I kind of felt bad for the poor souls who accidentally made eye contact. Uncomfortableness all around!

• Kelli Culpepper
    4 years ago

Wow!!! Great design. I bet you love having windows on each side of the kitchen. I found this by researching for the induction/drawer under it. We are putting a 24" in the bar and I'm going to do drawers under it. Enjoy your beautiful, so functional space!

Cheryl Hewitt thanked Kelli Culpepper
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kelli,

I do love having those windows. Enjoy your induction - it totally rocks!

• Kelli Culpepper
    4 years ago

Cheryl, I do have a question. The lower cabinets in front of the appliance garage, are they standard 24" or more narrow? Thanks!

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry for the delay; just saw this now. The cabinets on each side of the cooktop are 24" wide.

• J9
    3 years ago

Hello! I am relatively new to this platform, trying to figure out how to navigate and meaning of abbreviations. I have read multiple people reference “GW”. Can you help me out? Is that another site?

• eam44
    3 years ago

@J9 GW refers to GardenWeb. This forum originated on the GW site and was then purchased by Houzz.

• J9
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for the clarification!

• piscesgirl
    3 years ago

Can you share with me the measurements of your kitchen (width and length)? I think ours may be a similar width and am hoping to incorporate some of your design as inspiration. Such wonderful ideas. GW was of great help to me when we did a minor kitchen face-lift 10 years ago but now are starting to plan a full gut job. So excited. Can't wait!

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

piscesgirl, the room is 13' 3" wide at the prep end, and 12' wide on the other half where the seating island and ovens are. The room is 27.5' long.

I hope you have a blast designing your new kitchen! That's so exciting. I loved the whole process and I hope you have as much fun as I did.

This is the link to the floor plans if you want more detail.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7nmh6E810TcZmtManA2azJFRFk/view?usp=sharing

• J9
    3 years ago

Cheryl, I noticed that you put in an induction cooktop when you remodeled. Now that you’ve had it for awhile, how do you like it? Did you find induction easy to get used to?

• piscesgirl
    3 years ago

Thank you so much Cheryl. The floor plans are very helpful. Our kitchen is 13’3” wide as well, but only 14’5.5” long so we are hoping to put full depth cabinets on 3 sides with a 30”x 72” island. That would give us 39.5” wide isles. Do you think that will be fine? I am so used to living with an L kitchen without an island so this is new for us, but we want to better utilize the space we have. We have been testing out the layout with a banquet table that size and it seems like we have plenty of room, but I worry once we have all the cabinets installed it will feel/look more crowded.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HU-196853181, I absolutely love it. There hasn't been a single day that I've regretted it. It was an easy adjustment, although we do mise en place more now, as the cooking can move along more swiftly than with other cooktops. It's highly responsive, up and down. I also love how easy it is to keep an induction cooktop clean. Nothing gets burned onto the surface. Another bonus is there is no residual heat being added into room like there would be from gas. It's been a win-win.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

piscesgirl, when calculating your aisle widths, did you take into account your pulls and countertop overhang? If you have a true 39.5", I believe it'll work; that the trade off will be worth it. If you can sacrifice the extra 3-6" on your island width, maybe drop it down to 24" depth cabinets + countertop and hardware. What is your cabinet plan for your island?

• J9
    3 years ago

Thanks for your response Cheryl...it is reassuring to hear such positive feedback.

• piscesgirl
    3 years ago

Cheryl, thanks so much for your input. So my measurements are true 39.5” aisles (accounting for overhang/pulls). Really would hate to loose island width. 24” seems so narrow for an island. Since our room smaller and closed (4 walls) the plan was to do white cabinetry and white marble counters with 7’ wall of windows and freestanding (open) island with 3 stools tucked underneath. Thinking that would make the space appear/feel the brightest and most “open”. We are very early in the planning stages, so just trying to get layout nailed down. Thanks again!

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Can you post a floor plan? I can't picture how you'll have enough space for stools. This may be worth making a separate post.