SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timgwork

New build kitchen design

mit
6 years ago

My wife and I are building a new house. We somewhat neglected to put immense thought into our kitchen layout during the design phase and we are now at lockup for our build and trying to sort out our kitchen design on Ikea. We like the overall design of the kitchen presented in our house plans but are concerned with storage and space at this point. There is a stand alone pantry shown on the blue prints however we are beginning to wonder if it is necessary and would rather have the additional counter space. My wife is partial to the open shelf look on the back wall which is vaulted. We both enjoy cooking when time permits although I tend to bbq more during the summer. The design layout shows walls however from the house plans you can see that it is an open area with the stairs coming up to it. The reason for the wall at the back is to give an idea of how far back we can go with the peninsula before it begins encroaching on the upper stairwell landing and the passage into the living/great room. If necessary there is about another 5 inches of play there but anything more and we risk not having enough room to move through the area comfortably. The only placements that are set in stone are the fridge and the sink as the rough in plumbing is done. Ideally there would be at least 24 inches between the fridge and stove to allow for the vent from the hood fan to sneak through or alternatively that could be moved to about 12 inches where there is another spot we could sneak it through. We will have a dishwasher and microwave (preferably under counter and out of sight) as well. The fridge is 36" wide and the range will be 30". Realistically we are looking for any suggestions or help you can offer. Let us know if you need any more info. Thanks guys.

Comments (37)