SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
groundskeepersmalley

Ryobi mower let me down

This winter I bought my first house and after a previous 9 year career as a landscaper, I am have been thrilled to have a property of my own to plant, harvest, plan and maintain.

I was used to 60" zero turn riding mowers, but with my budget and .2 acre lot, calling a riding mower unnecessary is an understatement. I decided to get an electric mower for environmental reasons, and after seeing how much my parents liked their EGO electric mower. My wife and I forgot which mower they had, forgot to ask, saw lots of good reviews and landed on the Ryobi 20" 40v mower. For $300 it seemed like a good deal.

I don't know if I got a dud, but the mower frequently cut off while I was using it for turning too fast, grass too thick, going over a bump, going up a hill, or sometimes for seemingly no reason. It made the normally easy chore of cutting the lawn very frustrating. I should have returned it after the first week, but figured I would get used to it.

I bought the mower in March and this week the battery stopped working. I figure I cut about two times every three weeks on average, so I figure it has been used 15 times max. The charger said it was defective, so I called Ryobi support and they had me plug in the battery and confirmed that it was. They said they would send me a replacement, ETA mid October. I asked what I was supposed to do about my lawn until then and the rep said there was nothing Ryobi would do, but they were trying to get batteries out sooner. So I have a month and a half that I will have to figure out something else to cut my lawn, because my 5 month old mower is down, and the company that sold it won't or can't do anything to help me.

Comments (4)