SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
h_agius59

Rubbing alcohol used as a spray?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi. Most, if not all my plants have bugs, I think 2 types or adult and young. Goodness knows if there's more.

A few of my larger plants are being cared for by a guy in my building, partly because he used to work looking after gardens, which thrived, but mainly because his balcony has full sun most of the day. They are looking fantastic!

He has found bugs too, including one being "totally infested". But he'd already dealt with them his way, which is using a spray bottle filled with water and a couple of drops of both cooking oil and dishwashing liquid. He says that way you can get up under all the leaves and between them. He also said that with the badly infested one he ended up drenching the plant (and soil too I think) a few times before he got rid of them all. With all of this none of them look unhealthy or sunburnt at all. I'll get another look at them when I get home, in about a week.

So I did the same with the one's I've got, including my baby's. None looked any worse but the bugs stayed, maybe less of them. So I did them again 2 days ago but really drenched them, just before I left.

I would really appreciate any comments at all. But particularly on the idea that if the bugs haven't gone and the plants haven't died, spraying them in (half / half?) rubbing alcohol and water.

I've done a few searches here on it but didn't see any about spraying, although I think I remember reading something like it.

Thank you to anyone who responds

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor