SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Need entry door sweep info and advice

Bunny
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

If there's a better forum for this, please let me know.

I've had my painted wood entry door for two years. For the past 12 months, the underside of the door sweep has been shredding into long black spaghetti. I have to trim it from time to time and now there's a bit of daylight underneath. Because I also have a wood screen door, drafts and heat loss are somewhat mitigated.

Obviously I need a new sweep. I can't find anything online that resembles mine and wonder if the one I have was modified from something else.

As you can see, it is L-shaped and has an exterior drip cap. It is attached by screws on the exterior and I rather like the black at the bottom of the door. The legs of the L are about 1-1/4 inches each and my door is 1-3/4 inches thick. I think the L is made of some rigid vinyl-type material.

I love the black, but if I had to I would settle for dark brown.

Finally, my question: Is this something I could do myself *without* having to remove the door? If the door has to come off, I'll just hire someone to do it. It doesn't feel like there are screws holding it on under the door.

Do door sweeps fail in less than two years, or is this possibly the wrong sweep for my door and/or was modified incorrectly?

Recommendations for good door sweeps?

My door is protected from rain although I kind of like the look of the drip cap from a functional standpoint.

On the left is a piece of the center part that has broken free and needs to be cut off. The horizontal leg of the L is shorter than the thickness of the door (which is not pink BTW).

Comments (2)