SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dishevel

Therma-Tru Fiberglass Entry Door Advice Needed

Nicole
5 years ago
Hi! We are slowly fixing up our little house. It took me a long time to figure out windows (we’re going with Marvin Integrity Wood-Ultrex double hung windows in stone white with 2W1H SDLs), and now I’m struggling to decide on the entry doors. We have a quote from our local lumber store for Therma-Tru Fiber-Classic Oak and Plastpro Textured Oak doors (sorry, Therma-Tru Classic-Craft is probably way out of our price range based on the quotes we have). We currently have inexpensive, dented steel doors and have been told we should replace them with fiberglass for better insulation and weathering. Our doors are on the south and west sides of our house, so they get plenty of sun (like burst into flames hot on the west side).

Style-wise, we thought wood-stained doors would look nice. The roof is brown, and the new siding will be a nearly white, warm gray (Snow by Certainteed). I’m afraid of the house being washed-out, but I’m also afraid of a wood-stained or dark painted door needing a lot of maintenance with our exposure. The front door will be 3/4 glass and the side door will be full glass. There won’t be storm doors, but I’m hoping for a wood screen door for the side door that’s removable for winter.

Knowing our conservative budget and extreme sun exposure, would you recommend a fiberglass, steel, or wood door? Our modest upright and wing farmhouse has been butchered over the years by previous owners, so we’d like to do right by our house and give it a story of redemption. Also, I can’t look at those cheap plastic grids on the doors anymore. Any recommendations for door material, stain/paint, or style would be really appreciated! Thanks!!

Comments (29)