SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahiastate

best flooring for open plan if husband says no wood in kitchen

ahiastate
6 years ago

We are planning a fairly major remodeling project which will include a completely remodeled kitchen that opens to dining room and then living room, with some hallways in the mix as well. I'm pretty sure I want the same flooring everywhere, for a sleek look that "flows". Engineer husband says "no" to real wood floor in kitchen: "water and wood don't mix". (So don't bother telling me how you've had wood in the kitchen for years, it's not an option, haha). I am thinking of the wood-look porcelain tiles throughout. We live in a temperate Southern California climate - the "coolness" of the tile under our feet will not be a problem, although the unforgiving "hard" feel might. I don't quite know how to design a good transition if we used one type of floor in kitchen and then hardwood everywhere else, but if anyone has some great pictures of this strategy I would love to see them as well. I also have to admit that we as a family are not careful people, and I think we would do well with somewhat indestructible flooring. Another factor in decision making is that our house is on a concrete slab. Any ideas from anyone who has had to make this same decision and what you liked, didn't like, what worked, what didn't, regrets after the fact? Budget is mid-range, we aren't millionaires but don't want to go with the cheapest stuff either- want to get it right the first time- too old to do it again!

Comments (33)