SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_592970630

Paint color advice on kitchen reno that will create open floor plan??

Lynn Precourt
4 years ago

Redoing kitchen and taking down a couple walls..creating an open floor plan in our 1988 split level/raised ranchish house. We moved here 4 yrs ago and inherited existing colors. But, since all open we need new paint (one thing leads to another..to another..to another :)

We chose kraftmaid cabinets in "canvas" = off white. The walls (green one) will be removed and island will go where 2 24" cabs are now. Small wall by slider is going and cabs going almost to sliding door. Doing laminate counter in Star Dune by formica (pretty basic cream w/ beige/brown design) "Grandfather Oak" LVP on floors. We have wood trim (1980s) and I do not want to paint it..previous homeowners painted kitchen window and half moon window in foyer white.

We have cathedral ceiling in kitchen, living room & foyer. Installing new ceiling fan in foyer (2 paddles) and installing 2 wall sconces for lighting in foyer. (We're getting older and don't want to deal with cleaning the light & changing bulbs up high!)

Kitchen will have recessed lighting installed and 2 pendants over island.

I am slowly getting "things" for over cabinets in kitchen and in foyer - we just stuck up stuff we had when we moved in..not the greatest by far, but, I am ready to settle in and make it ours! So forgive the "stuff" there now..haha!

I would like to paint foyer & kitchen a bolder color to accentuate the cabinets (which in kitchen part between windows & slider and cabs will not show much except up high near ceiling) and a neutral beige?? (husband not crazy about grey) in living room and down hallway.

The "downstairs"..three steps down with regular windows was painted by a pro - it's sand paint beige with grey accenting and maroon with dark grey accents under wood shelf that runs around walls on all sides and all walls

have a little glitter in them - have to catch it in the right light to even see it - with a brick fireplace - same carpet.

I have a terrible time picking out paint colors and do not trust myself...I thought about a blue..navyish or grey blue for foyer/kitchen and a creamy/beige for rest?

I attached pics of wall sconces/pendants and flooring sample. And pics of house as is (1st born had b-day party today and not all bowls of candy got eaten!) 1st kitchen pic - those cabs & walls are going, gonna be an island there. Then looking up and down to front door. Living room from the sliding door. And looking into the kitchen..but walls to left will be gone.

Any ideas??? Suggestions?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida