SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaeljgonzalez

Best course of action for my fiddle fig?

michaeljgonzalez
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hey all, stumbled upon this forum while trying to find advice online for my poor little fig. I purchased it last November from a local nursery here in Los Angeles. It lives in the corner of my living room between 2 north and east facing windows. For the first four months or so it was placed too far from the window and lost many leaves. Once I corrected that it's seem to stabilize a bit however no real new growth has happened apart from a few branches that were sprouting from the bottom but got a bunch of red spots on the leaves and seemingly died off. I was on a once a week watering schedule until one week I missed the day and after that it seemed I had overwatering or under watering issues as more leaves began to fall and the ones that were remaining began to get spotting or yellow. I put the watering on hold after that until it dried out and then began watering again every two weeks. This is also my first house plant so I wasn't sure about feeding it while it wasn't seemingly in a stable condition. I began fertilizing just this last month but haven't noticed any growth yet. I've been reading a lot of different topics on this forum and sort of confuse myself on the best course of action from this point as I'm not sure if it needs to be pruned or reported at this point or if it's too late in the season to try anything that risky. I've attached photos of the root ball, pot and tree position. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

the way it used to be :(
this is planty today
the north and east windows planty lives near
the rootball
the stalk
do the roots look too crowded or is this normal?
the seemingly dormant new growth areas
the pot
planty in the pot

Comments (63)