SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8788188

Help with rugs/curtains and furniture layout

User
6 years ago

Hello!

I would love some suggestions for two large rooms in our house. I would like to add area rugs and curtains in both rooms. My taste is on the traditional side. I have found options online, but am nervous about mixing colors and patterns.

The dining room is in the center of our house. We have access to our backyard and kitchen through this room so it sees a lot of foot traffic. Our table is 8ft. I would assume a 9x12 rug is recommended? Low pile and indoor/outdoor compatible? We have a heavy duty mat on the patio for dirty paws and shoes. Should we do a 9x12 rug and an additional runner from patio door to kitchen entry? What kind of window treatment would be best for our single window and backdoor/window combo? Should the rod extend way beyond the door so the curtain slides all the way?

Our bedroom is quite large and we have recently purchased a bed set, but I'm not sure if the layout works. A 9x12 rug would fit under the bed and both night stands would fit inside. If we placed a rug under the bed, would it look bare for the other half of the room to have nothing? What about a runner from the bedroom entry along the bathroom and closet door? I am open to moving the dressers around. The tall dresser could go on the wall to the right of the double window, I have a standing mirror in that corner now. The wide dresser is opposite the double window, and I plan on hanging the matching mirror above it. The giant dog bed in the corner can be moved too ;)

I am struggling with the idea of patterns or bold colors in the curtains or area rug. If the rug has a pattern, would it clash with our duvet styles that we change frequently or if we had curtains with a color other than ivory? I have found some toile and soft floral patterns that are beautiful. Would it be safe to choose an ivory or linen type curtain so it is an easier match?

Your suggestions are welcome!

Comments (26)