SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

Late Summer Rose Collages

Ann9BNCalif
6 years ago

It's staring to feel like fall already with much cooler temps than we had at the beginning of the month. My roses are enjoying the cooler the weather so I was able to get some new pics to add to my collages.

Tahitian Sunset - I posted this collage before but added the two blooms in the bottom row, middle and right. TS was planted last fall, and has steadily grown and had the best flush last week with about 8 -10 blooms at one time. The colors and form are beginning to be more consistently like the two newest photos. Fragrance is strong, a bit spicy, maybe like myrrh?

Crocus Rose (DA) - I got this rose a couple of months ago from Roses Unlimited. It likes growing in the shade and has a really nice fragrance. I've given it a spot where it can get really big if it wants to, which I hope it does!

I bought Motley Clown from the Contra Costa Rose Society at a fund raising event. MC was hybridized by Tom Liggett who was a founder of the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden. The photo shows the color progression where the stripes gradually fade. There isn't much fragrance but it's a fun rose; the tag says it can be grown as a 10ft climber or as a shrub. He's still in a pot and may stay there so no 10ft climber for me.

I sometimes get advice from the Friends of Vintage Gardens on Facebook. They told me that hybrid perpetuals want the "best of everything" so if I moved my Reine des Violettes to a shadier spot, she wouldn't be as happy. They were right but she's still doing well with lots of water and food. She seems to be darker than other examples I've seen in public rose gardens. RdV stays fragrant in even hot weather.

After our historic rainfall last winter, we experienced a horrible problem with aphids which attacked my David Austin rose, Sister Elizabeth, planted in February. SE started out very well, growing rapidly but after the attack, she shriveled and nearly died. She eventually rebounded and is now about 18 inches tall and wide, very fragrant and seems to like blooming. Love the color!

I first saw Charles Darwin at Regan Nursery in 2011 and loved the color and fragrance. I remembered a very yellow rose, but mine, which I got from DA and just planted this past spring, presents quite a range of colors but still has a great fragrance.

I'm enjoying the collages and will post more as I have time.

Ann

Comments (14)