SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

It's Solar Eclipse Day!

gsciencechick
6 years ago

Any special plans? I have to be at work for freshman convocation, so they are having a viewing party on campus. We are just outside the path of totality at 98%. Weather will be good/clear but hot. Glasses have been distributed. Wish I could be at home. Just doesn't seem as fun to be with co-workers. DH is "Grumpy Cat" and is not impressed. He will be at work.

My niece and her DH drove to Charleston to camp for it.

Bonnie Tyler will perform "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on a cruise ship, and Ozzy Osbourne is performing "Bark at the Moon" at the Moonstock festival in Carbondale, IL.

Here's my drink coaster for today, made from a 45 rpm.

Comments (56)

• LynnNM
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here in New Mexico, we'll only get a partial . . . if these darn clouds ever clear up! It's our Monsoon Season, and it rained yesterday, overnight, and they're predicting clouds and rain on and off all day today. This is what I'm looking at now :~(

gsciencechick thanked LynnNM
  • gsciencechick
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There was lots of traffic on the interstate on the way in to work. They have on the overhead signs that people are not to stop on the highway, which I am sure after 2:30 p.m. will be totally ignored for people to pull off the road. Oh well, at least I am here until well after it is done.

• Related Discussions

Solar Eclipse available anywhere online?

Q

Comments (29)
    Good to hear! I have mine in pots still. They'll probably stay there for a while yet until I can find a place for them. The heucherella has a small root system so it'll probably remain in the pot until the end of summer when it can have the chance to grow more roots and I can keep a better eye on it. Once plants are in the ground they are mostly on their own. Here are my new heuchies. The back five and the one in the front left came from In The Country, they are (left to right): Heucherella Honey Rose, heucheras Sugar Berry, Sweet Tart, Glitter, Blondie, and Peppermint. The dark one, Blackout, came from Santa Rosa Gardens. The last one is my poor little Southern Comfort I nearly lost that I've been rooting. All there was left of it this spring were two small pieces of crown and no roots. Both were doing okay but then suddenly the tinier crown got eaten or something and I think it's a goner, but the bigger piece is slowly growing. Karen
    ...See More

solar eclipse today-ish

Q

Comments (3)
    I deleted that link. Here is the same site, but page before it I think. LINK I think these eclipses aren't visible from the US or at least parts of the US. The next visible one would be July for us.
    ...See More

Annular solar eclipse this morning....

Q

Comments (11)
    I rarely get up at 4:30, and it was kind of fun walking around while the city was mostly asleep. We live near the East River and went there to watch. There were about a dozen other people. It was friendly and kind of like an impromptu party. One guy had a huge telescope that he hauled on a wheeled cart over a mile to get there. He let us all look through it, an we could see a little bit, but the clouds blocked most of it. Another woman drew little chalk pictures of it and gave one to us. So not much eclipse to see, but it was beautiful watching the sun rise and reflect off the glass buildings across the river, and seeing all of the colors in the clouds.
    ...See More

Is anyone traveling to or going to watch the total solar eclipse

Q

Comments (37)
    I don't remember the year, but the only eclipse I ever saw was in the spring, more than 25 years ago. Neither DH nor I were thinking about it, but an eclipse was already underway when we walked out of the shop in a garden center. It wasn't only dark, it got quite chilly, too. There was a hush -- birds and insects reacting, I suppose. It took my breath away, something I only realized when I began to breathe again as the sun was revealed. I was truly awed -- the more so for not having expected it.
    ...See More
  • maddielee
    6 years ago

My Eclipse Day sunrise, we hope to be able to see our 81% from kayaks.

gsciencechick thanked maddielee
  • maddielee
    6 years ago

My viewing box. It's the only box I could find.

• Gooster
    6 years ago

Our parent office is near the path of totality and coworkers report it's like the day after Thanksgiving with so many people out. We'll have good coverage here -- however, I experienced the last one more directly. I hope to be around for the next two...

• bpath
    6 years ago

Maddie lee, you'll enjoy the eclipse one way or the other lol.

The other end of my state is 100%, my end is 85 or 88%. DH made viewing tubes (try shining different flashlights through it, it's kinda cool to see the differences). I have to run around to my dad in physical rehab facility and my mom at home and to the stores for both of them, but it hope to be home in between.

ETA, 20 minutes away from the start and now it's overcast :(

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago

Partial here and supposed to be cloudy so business as usual though a few people took time off and went somewhere in the path of totality. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say when they get back.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

I'm live streaming it on NASA's site online. From the looks of it, this is all I'm going to see of it today (Sigh!). You all enjoy it where you can!

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

I was at the dentist's office at noon when the receptionist got a call from someone cancelling her appointment this afternoon because she couldn't find any eclipse glasses, so she couldn't drive.......

Can't make this up....

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Yeah, sushipup. One of my neighbors mentioned the other day that she would be in the house with the blinds drawn this afternoon. I asked why and she said, "Why, don't you know that you'll go blind if you look outside during an eclipse without special glasses?"

Sigh.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Only a partial here too in NYC suburb. I actually had glasses from Amazon which I returned. The ISO logo was missing. I contacted Lunt Solar directly and they assured me they were fine.

Luckily our library was giving them out last week. My DD was up visiting so I sent her over early. She laughed about getting their 30 minutes ahead, but as they were leaving, people were lining up.

Today, the library is giving out more and I saw a crowd lined up, and this was two hours after opening.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

I live in a 99% totality location. It's now about 40 minutes away, and the rain clouds are breaking up . . .

• mayflowers
    6 years ago

We didn't have glasses to look at the eclipse but it just passed through here near Portland and it's still dark. It was weird because the inside of the house got very dark for about a half hour--it's just lightening now and we're about 15 minutes past the peak. Even though it was dark inside, we could still see the sun shining outside. We went outside and it was an unusual dull light. We felt like we had sunglasses on. There were shadows cast on everything that normally would be in bright sunlight. We didn't go into full night-time darkness outside.

• deegw
    6 years ago

High tech eclipse viewing in Denver :)

Many moons through the branches.

Eclipse sofa

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Just came back inside from viewing. Only a partial here - 92% - and not exactly what I expected. The eclipse part was great - a gathering of folks in the vacant lot across the street with lots of camaraderie and sharing of the elusive eclipse glasses - but I expected the darkening of daylight to be more pronounced than it was. I guess that 8% makes a big difference!! What I found really striking was the way that small sliver of sun that remained worked its way in a clockwise fashion around the moon. That was really cool!

btw, if you didn't have glasses or a viewing box, there would be very little indication that an eclipse was happening at all. Glad I saw it regardless :-))

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

We had a 0% chance of rain in Huntsville, AL. Guess what, it is raining!

• maddielee
    6 years ago

Eclipse craziness...

• cooper8828
    6 years ago

We had about 70% here. You really couldn't tell without looking through the glasses.

• cawaps
    6 years ago

It was only partial here, so I wasn't expecting to see much. Didn't want to bother with the pinhole camera. BUT... we had a fire alarm in the middle of it so everyone filed outside, and it was just overcast enough that we could clearly see the eclipse with the naked eye. It was only as bright as a crescent moon, so no danger there. It was actually pretty cool. If it hadn't been for the fire drill, I would have missed it.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

• aok27502
    6 years ago

We traveled to Charleston, SC, for 100% totality. We stayed with relatives. It was pretty cloudy, but in the last few minutes a ,hole opened up and we got a spectacular view. Uncle H got some fantastic pictures. Too cool!!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

We had 83% coverage here. Cloudy and rainy, but I have to say that during the passing sunny moments I would never have known there was an eclipse if I hadn't heard about it before. I would just have thought they must be burning the cane fields out towards Lake Okeechobee. Just a change in the quality of light as much as the amount.

gsciencechick thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • neetsiepie
    6 years ago

Front row seat! At about 9am (PST) I went out on our deck to check our view. It was BRIGHT and hot and sunny-not a cloud in the sky. I positioned a chair and put on my glasses, yep, they worked great.

About 15 minutes prior to totality the light started to get a strange quality to it-like you were under a shade cloth-it felt filtered and it was getting windy. When the eclipse was at 90% DH came out and it felt like it was early morning, like just after before dawn. Suddenly it was 100% and it got very dim-exactly like twilight. It doesn't get fully dark here in the peak of summer until almost 10pm so it was like that type of dark. The temperature really dropped-at least 10 degrees. The sun was just a ring and you could see the plasma stuff-I don't recall what it's called. I tried to take photos but they didn't come out. The birds were silent, and two flew overhead toward their roosting spot.

We could hear all our neighbors cheering-DH and I were just awestruck, I was literally covered in goosebumps-from the chill and the excitement. It happened so quickly. It never got totally dark, there was an eerie light at the horizon, but the sky was definitely dark and we saw stars. Before we knew it the 'diamond ring' started to form and it was time to put the glasses back on. The light came back very quickly but it took quite a bit of time to warm up again.

It was a surreal experience. I'm so thrilled I was in the path of totality. And for the record, our animals acted just as we expected-utterly blase. The dogs were just happy we were on the deck and laid at our feet until the fireworks started going off in the neighborhood. I took this photo during totality with my crummy cell phone. It was much darker in reality. Even though the sun was totally blocked, the light escaping was bright enough to look like a full sun! I recommend checking NASA's website, they were live streaming from the fairgrounds in my hometown.

gsciencechick thanked neetsiepie
  • neetsiepie
    6 years ago

Just a comparison-this photo was taken moments after the sun came back out-

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Thanks for sharing. A non-event here in NYC. We did use our glasses to see the different stages, and I had to go in the front of my house to get a clear view.

But nothing happened other than a bit overcast, but you wouldn't have noticed it either.

Sue and d_gw , that is hysterical!

• nini804
    6 years ago

I can't remember if we were 98 or 99% here but it was so cool!! My children were in school, and dh was at work...so the neighbors & I enjoyed it. We are normally quite an easy drive to many of the SC totality cities, and you NEVER have to twist my arm to go to Charleston, lol, but wow...the traffic seemed bad! But it would've been amazing to witness totality on the rooftop bar at the Vendue Inn!!

it got quite dim at the max, and it was dark enough to need lights indoors. We felt quite blessed that the sky was amazingly clear...where we are, August is usually so muggy, with at least partly cloudy skies, if not outright thunderstorms. Oh...and my glasses were great & worked perfectly! :)

gsciencechick thanked nini804
  • gsciencechick
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It was such a weird lighting at max. Not like dusk, and not like a thunderstorm either.

Now I must go brave the traffic home, but I will take the back roads.

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

• rosesstink
    6 years ago

I was at work. We had welders masks that we passed around (some owned by work, some that employees brought in). Very cool. We were at about 65% but you could definitely see that the lighting was different.

gsciencechick thanked rosesstink
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Greenville, SC was our location for the eclipse and it was wonderful. We had a mini-family reunion this weekend and stayed over. It was great. The hotel let us use a sheet and we observed the shadow snakes just before the totality started, then the beads then both 'diamond rings'. It was awesome to see a few stars come out and see a 'sunrise'. So beautiful. The whole experience with people cheering and excited was really cool. Our hotel had a cookout and free beer and drinks for the kids so it was real party. Most of the guests were on the patio or pool and some people had pulled up lawn chairs near the property.

gsciencechick thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

99 percent here. It was pretty cool!

gsciencechick thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • bossyvossy
    6 years ago

I enjoyed myself in se TX w/ sixty-something eclipse.

@crl, how did you do that?

onevif my neighbors tried this but pic didn't come out

maybe she needed a Miller Lite box...

gsciencechick thanked bossyvossy
  • maddielee
    6 years ago

My Miller Lite box pic...Then it got cloudy and we watched most of the rest on the NASA feed.

• ladypat1
    6 years ago

I live in path of totality, and it was partly cloudy, but we got little peeks at all the right times, so it worked out well. I turned down a substitute teaching position today. ( I am a retired science teacher). Didn't want THAT responsibility! LOL

gsciencechick thanked ladypat1
  • Indigo Rose
    6 years ago

66-67% here, but it was still an interesting experience at work with cereal-box viewers shared outside by some of us. No one had glasses.

Nova on PBS tonight is having a special about the event which they tracked across the country. I'll be looking to watch it to see what I missed.

gsciencechick thanked Indigo Rose
  • gsciencechick
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ladypat, the local schools that were in session had early dismissal today, which probably did not help the traffic either.

• rubyclaire
    6 years ago

Not sure what we saw in Florida - didn't have glasses so these are selfie-style

I-phone photos. Most interesting was the prism cloud effect!

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

I nearly forgot about the eclipse and didn't really notice the sky darkening. However the overhead lights came on in Wegman's parking light. It was cloudy all day and you could only get a brief glimpse of the sun through the clouds.

This is what I captured on my phone. It's there in the center of the photo but it's very small.

• Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

Bossyvossy, it was just the shadows made by a tree. I had read ahead of time that the shadows would be weird. I was so excited when I saw them. I just snapped a picture with my phone.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Very cool. I saw nothing like that in my area.

• trickyputt
    6 years ago

An eclipse allows watering in the middle of the day.
    Eclipse shadows under a golden raintree..

Shadows in Birmingham had the eclipse arc. This is under a dogwood.

gsciencechick thanked trickyputt
  • Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

Bossyvossy, we were at 99 percent. I don't know if you needed to be at a certain percent to get the effect.

• roarah
    6 years ago

My best photo, with 12 welder's glass and a great zoom. Ct had about 70 percent I think...

I had more fun with my paper plate projectors though!

gsciencechick thanked roarah
  • rosesstink
    6 years ago

We saw the tree shadow effect here at 65% too. I'm not totally convinced and will have to look up the science behind it.

gsciencechick thanked rosesstink
  • rosesstink
    6 years ago

Speaking of science. Three of us were outside at work looking at the eclipse and some doubt came up about whether we were seeing 65% like they said we would. Mechanical technician, lapsed engineer, mechanical designer. No. maybe, yes. I was right.

• Iowacommute
    6 years ago

Bad mood here because of heavy clouds and bad storms in the path of totality. I was streaming NASA's coverage while waiting for the clouds to open.

Then I saw this. He had glasses but couldn't resist?

the others · More Info

• pattyxlynn
    6 years ago

My Mom and I are on the cruise ship Oasis of the Seas that The Weather Channel and CNN broadcast from. The show put on by DNCE and Bonnie Tyler was fantastic! I had to shoot through the lens of the solar glasses but I did get some okay shots. What a fun day it was!

gsciencechick thanked pattyxlynn
  • Oakley
    6 years ago

We had 80-82%, and I expected it to get darker than it did. But I could definitely see a big difference.

What I liked the most was watching my surroundings and when I stood in a non-shaded area, there was no hot sun hitting my back. It was 90 outside, but I could have actually worked in the sun during that time.

Also, it was a bit breezy before the eclipse, but during totality, the wind stopped.

gsciencechick thanked Oakley
  • gsciencechick
    Original Author
    6 years ago

pattyxlynn, WOW, what an experience! I would have loved to see Bonnie Tyler. Amazing photos of the eclipse!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

100% in little Sparta, TN, a pretty two hour drive from Huntsville, AL. We kept to the back roads the whole time, saw very little eclipse traffic.

We enjoyed a spectacular experience with a small contingent of like-minded stranger/friends on a private little knoll; I'll never forget it. It was my second total eclipse and I felt so rewarded to know that my 47 year old memory was vividly accurate!

It was a fabulous, memorable experience.

gsciencechick thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7