SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Recipe from DDD: Stuffed banana peppers

Lars
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I was watching DDD the other day and saw someone in upstate NY (near Buffalo) make stuffed banana peppers, and they described the ingredients and method, but not the quantities. The recipe sounded interesting, and so I wrote it down and then improvised myself with the proportions, and here's what I came up with:

Recipe:

8 Banana peppers, cored and seeded
Oil for baking (I used avocado oil)
1 tbsp Butter
3 cloves Garlic, minced
Minced chili (I used one fresh Habanero)
Hot sauce, if needed (I omitted this but should have added some)
8 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, cubed
3/4 cup Grated Romano cheese
2/3 cup Dry bread crumbs with
1 tbsp Italian dried herbs (I used half Italian herbs and half Cajun seasoning)

Cut off ends of banana peppers and remove seeds and insides, keeping peppers otherwise whole. Place on a baking sheet with oil and bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes, turning once.

Melt butter in a sauté pan and onion. Cook until translucent but not brown – add garlic and chili and cook about 2 minutes more. Add hot sauce, if you think you will need it, and then stir in cubed Jack cheese and grated Romano. Cook over low heat until combined, and then add the seasoned bread crumbs off heat.
Fold into a combined mass. You could taste it as this point to see if it needs hot sauce.

Stuff each pepper with 1/8 of the filling and return to baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes.

Serve with chopped fresh tomatoes, if you have them.

*Note: if using a toaster oven, use 360° instead of 350°.

For me, the peppers came out a bit crunchy, but I think that's how they are supposed to be. I liked the flavors, but I think I would have liked it better if I had added some hot sauce to it, or if I had used two Habanero chilies instead of just one.

Do you ever make recipes that you have only seen on TV and not tasted? Normally I like to taste a recipe before I make it, but especially if it is very different from anything I've had before. With this recipe, I knew I liked all the ingredients, which are similar to what you might use for a grilled cheese sandwich, except that here the bread is inside.

Comments (5)