SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nina_yang58

Is my mini orchid not getting enough sunlight?

NINA YANG
6 years ago

(My orchid when I first bought it)

Hey, I'm an orchid beginner, so umm,I bought a lavender pink-ish mini phalaenopsis orchid on July 20 in Home Depot,which is like 1 month ago. I researched about orchids and found out that dark color leaves symbolizes that the orchid is not getting enough sunlight, while light olive green colored leaves represents that the orchid is getting the right amount of sunlight. So I moved my orchid to my window sill for like 2 weeks. Yet its still the same color. After that I searched up online and compare my orchid's leaf color to the healthy orchid leaf pictured on google image. Thats when I made an inference that my orchid is not getting enough sunlight. So I decided to move it outside for like 3 hours The first 8-9 days went fine, but my phalaenopsis still has that dark leaf color. But on the end of the second week my orchid developed a yellow-ish spot on its leaves, I soon realized that my orchid has sunburn. I moved it back to my window sill. Yet still, even till now it still has that dark green-ish color.

facts:

1. My orchid have a dark spike, instead of the light green kind.

2. The orchid's leaf already has that dark green color when I first bought it.

3. All the lavender pink-ish mini orchids in Home Depot has a dark spike, and a dark green leaf. (Note: the other color orchids don't have it).

heres some pics of my orchid now:

ps. Moving it into a smaller pot for better drainage soon.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations