SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
straitlover

Painting window screen frames before or after replaicng the screen?

6 years ago

Might be a dumb question, but I am a beginner DIY'er. :)

I have several screens at the beach condo that need fixing up. Windows and screens (installed 1988) are bronze framed and have to stay that way (HOA rules). Replacement screens would have to be custom because of size and color and are not cheap, so I plan on having the screening replaced at Ace Hardware and spray painting the frames myself. Someone told me Ace could do the screening for about $10-15 per frame (don't ahve an actual estimate yet). A replacement screen would be at least $50 per window per a guy at a window place that has since closed up shop (big screens - two about 60X35, one is about 40X30, one is about 35X30; original plan was to replace the windows completely which was waaaay out of my budget).

Which would be better - removing the old screen, painting the frames and then having Ace put in the new screen or vice versa? First way, I'm worried about Ace scratching the paint, second way, I'm worried about getting paint on the screen.

I thought about doing the screen myself, but by the time I buy the screen, spline & tools, I;m thinking it won't be much less than just letting Ace do it. Besides I'm worried about them looking saggy,

Comments (2)