SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicabaskerville

New Home - "Design Center" selections conundrum

We are having a new home built by a local builder, and just received our quote on "upgrades" from the "design center" - another local company. We were shocked at pricing. After asking a lot of pointed questions, the rep advised that the builder charges around a 50% mark-up on top of the design center's prices, which of course includes their profit margin as well. For a $12/sqft retail price mosaic band in the shower, they are charging $50-$60/sqft depending on the size of the mosaic: $500 for each 12" vertical mosaic or $310 for each 6" (we have 10 ft ceilings in the bathrooms). These prices seem crazy to me for 5 or 10 sqft of tile! I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. In our master shower, the mosaic band would be on a wall that is 6 ft wide, and I'm thinking that a 6" band may look silly. Thoughts and or reassurance welcome! We also want to "upgrade" the granite that is in our kitchen and bathrooms to "viscont white"...and they are charging $4500 for the change of color. The tough part is that we don't know how many sqft of granite are in our home, but our kitchen and bathroom vanities are not that large. Is this actually a reasonable price? We are so beat down from this process, and the thought of having a lot of projects after moving in is daunting....especially not knowing the difficulty level of completing them...but the price tag is quickly increasing.

Comments (9)