SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdepaoli62

Phlox frustration Zone 5b Albany NY

Hello, All!

Any thoughts about the yellowing of my David phlox leaves? I have it on 2 David plants that are about 5 feet apart and get approx 6 hours of sun from 9am to 4pm. The newer growth I took a picture of does not have the yellowing. The small Laura(?) that I also included does as well.

It shouldn't be a watering issue I don't think because we had plenty of rain this summer and I supplement my plants that are thirstier. I also included a picture of the more mature David...perhaps it doesn't get enough air because of the endless summer hydrangea so next to it? That plant did get stepped on by the roofers but it was yellow before that.

Perhaps it's chlorotic (sp?) I haven't tested that soil recently. It's pretty heavish clay which I amend a lot with organic material as I plant and I put leaves etc on each year. The soil up near the house is rather friable compared to the newer beds which I just created a few summers ago.

Sorry this post is so long. I've been meaning to ask you all for weeks. I see others with perfectly fine phlox in their gardens around here and it just burns me up. I don't want to hate phlox!! I love their color and old fashioned quality.

My City Garden

Comments (3)