SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebell66

Payment at Nail Salons - Cash vs Credit

Bluebell66
6 years ago

A woman on our neighborhood FB site is complaining that her nail salon has put in an ATM machine and is now asking customers to pay cash for their services. The salon doesn't want their customers to use credit or debit cards. She thinks they're avoiding taxes.

This is how she explained it:

"If they are paid with a credit/debit card then there is a record of the sale. If they are paid in cash then they can choose to report the sale or not. They have always encouraged customers to pay in cash and now more or less require it. I'd like to think it is to save fees for credit transactions but they do not charge an ATM fee, which means they must be paying for it out of pocket, which they can claim as a business expense on taxes. If they claim the ATM and don't report all of sales then they would owe less in taxes."

Is this scenario plausible? Personally, I think the salon is just trying to avoid credit/debit card processing fees, but I figured someone here might have some insight into the matter. I know people don't use cash for much these days, but just because the merchant prefers cash doesn't mean they're shady. Thanks.

Comments (37)