SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

When inches matter and "seat of the pants" building.

palimpsest
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The architect who designed my house designed six or seven different houses, five types of which were built. Four are 20 feet wide, 6 are sixteen wide, 6 are fourteen wide.

This architect was a brutalist-modernist in a city that likes traditional and he had a number of ideas that were difficult to execute cheaply and these houses were built cheaply. The ideas were there, the execution not so much.

This was hampered by the fact that I don't think there were detailed construction documents and the builders kind of changed things as they went along. Of my type, for example, mine is the only one that looks like the plans on the exterior, and every house I have been in (1-2 of each type) has variations from the plan and from each other.

And oddly, the plainest, ugliest front facade (my realtor said she didn't realize it was two houses, she thought it was the back of something)--has a beautiful back facade and a surprisingly well-lit and gracious interior.

I just saw the inside of the type that looks most charming from the outside. Hmph.

It's hampered by being one of the 14 foot ones. He appears to not have liked chases and soffits going every which way which is very common in row houses here. So in the designs he hides the chases and crams everything in them together. And apparently the builder also came along and added their own and made some changes as they went along:

These are Small houses. Here he buried all the verticals behind the bathroom and next to the chimney. It is more or less in the middle so it goes to either a front room or a back room. (This is how it was done in my house as well, behind the bathrooms and next to the chimney--and the builder added more in my house too, including partly in front of a window :-) )

What happened first is that the builder changed the stairs from semi winders to switch back. Then, the bathroom seemed to take a tiny bit more room than planned and in the house I saw the chaise is deeper but not the full width of the bathroom. And they rearranged the sink and toilet.

So, that's how you end up with a 25" wide hallway. Made even tighter when someone closes off the stairs to turn the "studio" in to a private bedroom. That's plastic lattice on the stairs. This has been a rental for a long time.

Comments (4)