SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

OT: How to prune a mature sweet cherry

I posted a question on this over on the appropriate forum (Fruit Trees?) a while back but never got an answer. So I'm putting my faith in you guys. We have a big sweet cherry, excellent fruit, but it's heading for the skies and needs to be lowered if we're to reach the fruit even with a ladder. DH cut it back drastically about five years ago, and for four years we didn't get any fruit from it; this year we finally enjoyed a magnificent harvest, but the lower branches are getting shaded out and I need to do something.

I did some reading and gather that cherries are pruned in summer. Is August too late? Then, my idea is that, rather than cut out all the by now five year old water sprouts, and perhaps lose once again several years of fruit, to prune out perhaps a third of them (assuming I can do this at all), then do the same next year, and so on, until I have eliminated the water sprouts but at a pace that's less stressful to the tree. Suggestions?

The cherries of this tree are as good as cherries get. I want to keep it going. Thanks for all input.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES