SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Wedding update

jojoco
6 years ago

Hello to my virtual bridesmaids!

Thought I would give you an update of my wedding plans and a new development.

Towards the end of July, while my fiancé and I were at my summer house in Connecticut, we finally got the invitations mailed. Three days later, my future in-laws met us for lunch and told us they would like to host a welcome cocktail party for all out of town guests the night before. We thought it was a wonderful idea and accepted their offer. We scrambled to find a place, and arranged for my future MIL to speak with the catering crew. (My future MIL is a very social, New York City gal. She is fabulous at party planning and loves to do it.) But what started as a casual cocktail party at a country club, quickly morphed into a sit down affair with assigned seating and a fancy plated dinner. It was absolutely the last thing we wanted. We wanted something fun and informal. We gently floated a different idea, an Oktoberfest theme, (our wedding is mid October) and she immediately abandoned her plans in favor of ours. Did I mention that she is absolutely wonderful and incredibly gracious?

So now we are planning a Oktoberfest dinner, complete with a pretzel dipping bar, great beers, schnitzel and other dishes, and apple strudel and chocolate cake for dessert. There will be lidded ceramic beer steins with flowers in them for the centerpieces.

The location is a beautiful country club overlooking the water.

The only glitch is that we will have to send out the Oktoberfest invitation to all of our out-of-town guests who have indicated that they will be coming to the wedding. (We have no idea if anyone's plans include the night before, just that they are coming. Too many hotels and other lodging options to get an exact number) We will ask them to respond asap via email. It's a bit of a roll of the dice, but we don't have many other choices. We would love some sort of wording to be printed on the envelope to ensure prompt action. Just can't think how to say it.

Sorry this is so long, but if you're still reading it, I would love to hear any thoughts and suggestions about this newest plan.

Jo

Comments (19)