SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nevermore44

Soil improvement findings

Nevermore44 - 6a
6 years ago

Just a random observation note in the garden in regards to soil improvement for clay fill soil.

So my yard is pure fill dirt... the lot used to be a gentle decent slope from the front to rear, but was built up with fill to level it out with the surrounding properties. So by the time you are the back section, there is at least 10+ feet of fill They then just tossed sod on top when the house was complete. So, the main point being is once you get under the sod, it pure subsoil clay. When it’s dry, you need a spud bar or pick axe to break it up.

Every year for the past 13 years, I cut out more garden beds out from the lawn. For the first 4 years I used wood mulch and then after that I found a source of free leaf mulch which I apply 3-4inches 1 to 2 times a year. Originally on a new bed, I would just flip the sod over, add mulch, and plant. Since watering became a pain, for the past three years or so I have been double digging new beds. I end up removing a shovels depth of the worst clay, breaking up the bottom of the bed, and adding/mixing in amendments. It makes the soil really nice, and watering isn’t so much of an issue.

This past weekend I went back to double dug a bed that has been around since the beginning since the plants where just drying out too fast. The bed has only been getting mulch from the top… letting the worms “mix” the soil for me… i.e. Lasagna method. To my surprise, only the top 5 inches or so was dark and decent soil, but immediately below that was the horrible subsoil clay that most roots never penetrate. I know that gardening is a lifetime of learning, but I never would have though that 13 years of doing a lasagna method would only get you 5 inches of good soil. Maybe I have lazy worms that just stay under the leaf mulch going to town.

My lesson of the day is that an initial double dug bed is so worth the initial effort if you have really cruddy soil…. Also that I am impatient (I don't have time to talk about that issue though)

Comments (39)