SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_312697

Craftsman Kohler Command 25 Twin V Mower Sparks When Blade Is Engaged

Garrett Schwanke
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello -- I've seen contributors on this forum with useful information for same category questions as mine in past. I hope you can help!
I have an older Craftsman Kohler Command V Twin 25 riding lawnmower --
Model is 917. 273240
Serial is 033103D005365
The deck belt was worn so I replaced it today. I followed the diagram on the undercarriage to mount it properly. However when I tested it and tried to engage the blade the body of the mower shook and there was a sort of oscillating grinding noise. Sparks shot out from underneath the mower. I shut it off and reassessed.
Seemed to be immediate wear to outside surface of the deck belt. I could smell burnt rubber but otherwise there were no obvious indications of where it might be rubbing. I tested turning the belt and all the pulleys seem to be moving freely. I left the belt guards off and tested again. The sparks were definitely coming from the front of the deck belt -- possibly from the pulley under the engine. Same shaking/grinding noise upon engaging the blade.
Any help as to where I went wrong would be greatly appreciated! As the old belt was shredded in some places it wasn't attached so I couldn't recreate its mount pattern and went off the diagram but I don't think I mounted it wrong...
Thank you.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths