SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolfblade

Big Time Problems, 25 hp Kohler on Craftsman / Husqvarna/AYP

WolfBlade
18 years ago

My '04 Husqvarna GTH2548 with 60 hours on it started blowing bluish smoke and ran thru a quart of oil in 10 mins. Called Warranty Repairs, as soon as the Tech came out he went right for the right side of the engine (right side looking from driver's seat)and pulled the plug out. Badly fouled. Head gasket blown. He replaced it and the 4 bolts. He told me this is a KNOWN issue with these particular engines. Told me Kohler used the wrong bolts and after heating and cooling the bolts on the right-hand side "stretch" and cause the gasket to fail. Also said Kohler had redesigned the head and eliminated 2 bolts, making the head almost impossible to torque down evenly onto the gasket.

I am livid. I know this engine had to reach unacceptable temperatures when it blew a quart of oil out, yet the Tech tried to reassure me by telling me there wouldn't be any other damage to the engine from the failed gasket and low/overheated oil.

Needless to say, I am now on the warpath and Kohler, Lowes and Husqvarna WILL make this right, even if I have to resort to "extreme measures" to get their attention. When I went to Lowe's and gave them $2400.00, AFTER they talked me out of buying a competitor's tractor, I TRUSTED them, and believed them when they told me if I had ANY problems with the tractor they would "stand behind it all the way."

And, for those of you still reading, this issue is in addition to the ongoing problem I have had since day one with the tractor lurching foreward or backward and taking off when the shift lever is in neutral. They have been out 3 times to fix THAT problem and haven't FIXED it yet.

If you have an '03-'04 25hp Kohler... you might want to get ready for a bumpy ride.

Comments (145)

• averageguy
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Add another Kohler to the list. Mowing the other day and a bunch of white smoke came out. I immediately shut down the engine and checked everything. I was shocked how much oil had disappeared! After following the postings above (WOW!) - I examined the air filter and plugs. I see no oil in the carb. nor do the plugs look fouled. I did purchase new plugs to replaced the existing ones. I have fired it up a few times for a short period to see if it will reproduce the smoke. It has only done it once since. Now when I start it I get a rhytmic up and down of the engine as if someone was messing with the throttle. Definitly a loss of power is noticable. Still - no signs of oil or oil loss!? Could it still be a head gasket?

• fisher40037
    17 years ago

The throttle going up and down, sounds like crap in the carb, which needs cleaning. The smoke and oil loss is
    likely from a head gasket starting to fail.

Fish

• Related Discussions

Kohler 25 hp problem????

Q

Comments (16)
    i got a big oil use issue with a Kohler twin SP27 using a lot of oil and fowled plug on the the oil cap side of the engine. FYI, i read somewhere on the net to check the reed valve- whatever that is- a busted or defective one leads to excessive oil use apparently. Anyway, my low oil pressure light was not working from the start, and i ran mine with low or no oil - real smart i am. Now, i am looking for a short block to get me going again. the thing runs but uses an unsustainable amount of oil because the oil rings on the piston and bore are probably damaged - i think. As i have to add oil again after a couple of hours hard running, and even one cylinder stopped firing because of the oil on the plug. I think the compression and oil rings are gone, and it would have been due to running it on a hot day/week with low oil, from what i am recollecting about the machine usage and engine noises. the machine was showing 20% pressure loss on one side, after only 200 hours. Another veteran mechanic said that all air cooled engines all use some oil as a part of normal running, and that it is important to keep an eye on your oil levels at all times, or you will get what i got. The mower repair guys said i 'dusted' the engine by not maintaining clean air filters, but i am pretty certain i damaged the engine rings and bore because of low or no oil. i am going to order a new engine from the USA , and have the old one rebuilt in a engineering shop that specializes in cylinder sleeves and pistons. Its an expensive pain in the rear but, having a spare good engine block ready to go is the only way i can think of to control the engine reliability situation long term .
    ...See More

Considering a Husqvarna @ Lowes - Am I Crazy?

Q

Comments (32)
    how funny that i just stumbled into this thread while searching my model # on yahoo for something unrelated. i'll give a quick update since i am here. i've now had my 2754GLS for two seasons and am VERY satisfied with it. it's a great tractor and i have no regrets. i think i did notice the next year at the dealer that the equivalent model had foot fwd/reverse control instead of fender mount - oh well for me but it doesn't bother me anymore. the tractor is treating me very well. i love the 54" cut - it clearly saves me time doing my 2 acres and is great. no obvious wear/damage to the deck or wheels,etc to date - i'm glad to have the extra reinforcement which may be helping. engine has plenty of power to support the deck size. the deck belt tension release lever (which i really like) does occasionally get released if i get too cute mowing into bushes which can hit and release it causing the mower to shut down. it probably left me puzzled the first two times of the 3 or so times it has happened. now i just know better if it were to happen again and its the first thing i would look at if not fuel level. if it were a real problem i could always reinforce it with a simple mechanism holding it in place better. one of my smartest investments on year two was to buy the bagging system (triple bag) which is great. the lack of turbo (ala Simplicity) has never been noticed. it actually clogs MUCH less. while the spinning red air flow indicator does an ok job of telling you when the bags are full once you figure it out, i've found the easiest way to tell is just occasionally poke the top of the far right bag (fills last) to feel if it is getting full. forget the plastic window which clouds quickly with time. if you overfill the bags you risk clogging the tube down near the deck but it's little trouble to clear it out due to the design. i did have the lower shoot begin to fail on mine in year one where a plastic seam began to come apart. it was replaced under warranty and i now have a bungee cord wrapping around the middle of the shoot and the right side handle next to the seat to give it move support just in case. have never had a problem since. bottom line - great purchase and no regrets. beautiful tractor and although i haven't owned a lowes model to compare, i recommend upgrading to a dealer only line with any quality improvements to protect your investment over time.
    ...See More

Husqvarna poor cut quality

Q

Comments (26)
    Yes I actually did take the baffles off. Like I said I tried everything. The machine come with the Husq mulch blades. The gators work better. Have them on now. When the machine was delivered the deck pitch was so extreme. It mulched but didn’t cut nice. ( I’m figuring the delivered machine with the steep pitch was deliberate. Maybe the factory told them that helps??????? )They put the mulch kit on. Can’t see a reputable service center not checking Blade height and all. Anyways. It’s when I adjusted the pitch to recommend setting that the cut was nice but it would leave a strip of cut grass but not mulched down the middle of the path. Even when it was short or dry or thin. Funny thing is last night the grass was high and wet and it seems to mulch better when it’s wet with that extreme pitch. It did leave some clumps but it’s what you would expect to see with it that high. But the clumps where mulched up. Only had to go over a couple little spots twice instead of the whole yard. As far as adjusting the front up. Just for the hell of it I took a path going backward Last night. Left more clumps of grass. Once went backwards with a level deck and it leaves a thin strip of grass to the right of the mower like my old Honda self propelled mower does. So for now that’s my fix. I’ll sharpen those blade up again. That will help with the cut. I’ll pay attention to anything posted. Maybe someone figured out a better fix for this. Thanks with your feed back.
    ...See More

URGENT! Simplicity Reagent/Broadmoor vrs. Husqvarna

Q

Comments (16)
    Gary, I just bought a leftover Broadmoor 2006 18 HP Kohler single cyl. engine 44 inch deck 1.4 hrs on the meter, about 6 weeks ago. I paid $2950.00 for it. I think it is a great machine. The broadmoor has a super nice cut. I traded in a 13 year old Simplicity Regent, 38 inch deck and never had any major problems with it, The dealer gave me $200.00 wich made the price of the Broadmoor $2750.00. You will notice a big difference between the ride and comfort factor between the Regent and the Broadmoor after you are on them for any lengthy period of time. I am 6'1" and 220 lbs and the broadmoor is a way nicer ride. You can get closer with the Brodmoors wider deck since it sticks out past the wheels, but it does not turn as tight as my old Regent. Don't worry about the three blades on the deck, once you see what a great cut you get you will be very happy. My lawn is over an acre, and has many mature pines and shade trees and many roots, and not real smooth. This machine just does not scalp anywhere, perfect cut!! I can not tell you about the other machines but can tell you I like the Broadmoor. I hope whatever you buy works good and you have good luck with it. Steve
    ...See More
  • cigar
    17 years ago

Hello All! I've been reading all the head gasket and smoking problems. From what I've been able to figure out, the smoking is from burning oil? I have a Sears with the Kohler CV730S from early 2004 and it has 159 hours. It's been maintained properly and winterized in the off season. Cleaned up and Stabil added. My wife was cutting grass and noticed it was smoking. She shut it down and lifted the hood just to be met with FLAMES. A few inches closer and she may have been burnt. Luckily just a few shinged hairs and frazeled nerves. I witnessed the whole thing. By the time I got there with an extinguisher, it was out. Upon closer inspection we noticed the muffler was soaked in oil. After it cooled I cleaned it all up and started it up to find the leak. Oil just poured out from under the right cylinder. Engine doesn't smoke and ran fine. It probably dumped a cup of oil in the 10 to 15 seconds before I shut it down. Is this the same problem? Of course the warranty ended this spring on both the tractor and the engine. Did buy the extended warranty because the other Sears/Kohler we owned was a workhorse. This is a little past concerns about a defect. This is a safety issue! As dry as it has been in our area it could have easily caught our yard on fire and the 10 acre field next to us. We dodged 2 bullets, personal injury and property damage. The tractor itself amazingly made it through, little scorced plastic was all. Can't get Kohler to respond and Sears washed their hands of it. I don't want to keep fixing something I know is going to break in a year or two. Any suggestions other than the usual get rid of it and buy brand X?

• todd-machinist
    16 years ago

Well it looks like I have the same problems everone is talking about. After 3 years and a little smoke last season my sears GT5000 just started smoking like a chimney. I unscrewed the dip stick with the engine running and almost couldn't get it screwed back in, with so much compression coming out. Can someone give me info for new Sears or Kohler part numbers for the New Improved studs and head gaskets. The other option I guess is to go to a larger more heat resistant bolt and hope it dosn't stretch.

• nine7xbam
    16 years ago

I've become used to seeing old threads come back , but from almost two years ago ? Lupus , is it lupus ?

• opralph
    16 years ago

2 Years ago I bought a used Craftsman DGT 4000 because it had a 23 HP Kohler Aegis LV675 Liquid-Cooled engine in it. Guess what had a cooling leak because of a blown head gasket. Was literealy blowing coolant out through the coolant reservoir. The local dealer replaced both head gaskets. But I still ocasionally find the Coolant Reservoir cap blown off. However, when I remove the radiator cap I find the cooling system full, which wasn't the case previously.

Now I'm experiencing a new problem. If I run the engine at any thing over 1/2 throttle it will eventually just stop running and not restart until it has cooled down. The dealer says it is probably the coils and I should check for spark when it stops. What bothers me about the scenario is that it has seperate coils for each cylinder and I would not expect them to both fail at exactly the same time. Any insight would be appreciated. Engine details are:

Model: LV675S
    Serial# 3029914281
    Family: XKHXS.6742GV
    Spec# 851509
    Disp: 674 cc

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

Must be lupus and it is contagious and spreading.

• bobmcc
    16 years ago

old thread - same problem. My 2003 GT5000 had (note past tense) a CV730S with less than 150 hrs on it. Lightly smoking for a while at start-up but I kept it oiled. I was ignorant of the head gasket problems until it threw a rod last night. I'm SOL no doubt.

• CHICNMAN42_CAROLINA_RR_COM
    16 years ago

I KNOW OLD THREAD, but i have '04 gt5000 w/ the kohler 25"pro", sounds like something came loose inside engine, rep said not a head gasket problem? probally a rod has come loose from low oil, i say bs, i'm the only one who has used it and always serviced properly and not low on oil. my question is do i try calling sears or just tear it down and put a rod in it and hope for the best? or is the so-called rep feeding me a line? any help will be nice and thanks in advance.

• steve2ski
    16 years ago

The Kohler rep is your best friend on this one - Curious how did you get to the Kohler rep without going through a Kohler dealer first? Unless you have a extended warranty Sears warranty ended in '06 (2 yrs). If you have gone thru Sears or another authorized Kohler dealer on the problem the rep is the last resource. The rep should at minimum have the engine torn down before making any diagnosis of the problem and give you a report in writing.

• chicnman
    16 years ago

i say rep, it was actually the local dealer, who said you can bring it by for me to listen, but a head gasket is a hissing sound and not what i described. he kinda gave the " your on your own" speech. thanks for the quick reply. just kinda would like to know what to do next? how do i contact the rep? do i take it to the local dealer? thanks again fo any info.

• steve2ski
    16 years ago

Well, the dealer is right as "you're on your own" since your are out of the warranty period, but the dealer sounds as though they will be helpful in diagnosising the problem at minimum $$ to you. If you feel the equipment has not been operated outside it's limitations and the dealer thinks it has (low on oil) then thats when the factory rep can help you, probably by having that or another authorized dealer send the damaged parts along with a sample of the oil to the factory for analysis. If it proves that the dealer is right you may be liable for the costs incurred in the analysis. If you are right the rep can have the factory stand the repair or replacement costs. If there has been a known problem in that engine and you may be right the rep can recommend the factory repair or replace the engine without any additional anaylsis............. but all of this takes time.

• chicnman
    16 years ago

thanks alot, i"ll start there, and let the board knows how this never ending saga plays out, thanks again

chicn

• soneill5
    16 years ago

My '04 GTH2548 purchased at Lowes started smoking as well just out of warranty. Ironically, their $80 charge to just drive in my driveway turned me off, and most Husqvarna dealers in the area will NOT service what they don't sell. My first large yard, and my first tractor of any kind. I finally got a local Cub Cadet dealer to fix it, so I thought. Within 3 months the engine seized completely. After parking it dropped what appears to the be rest of the oil on my garage floor.

The lack of service, or at least quality service after the fact has me quite turned off of a Home Depot, Lowes type tractor. The premium you pay for a Deere (or the like) may be well worth the after the fact service.

My question for anyone would be, after things blew, I have went without and the tractor has been parked for going on 2 seasons. Do I have any course of action whatsoever or should I just haul it to the road and start again?

• tomplum
    16 years ago

Let water run over the dam, donate it to charity and buy that Deere you always wanted...

• gypsy1969
    16 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have the Kohler manufacturing dates in 2002-2004 or the engine serial number ranges that should be avoided in order to stay away from this head gasket problem?

I am thinking of buying a very low usage lawn tractor that was built with this Kohler two cylinder engine in Feb 2002, but I don't want to purchase one with a the problematical head bolts or or head gasket design. Thanks for any inputs or links to this information.

• dynamike59
    16 years ago

WOW...talk about grave robbing.....this post is almost 3 years old.

For a minute I thought that LB 59 was back

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

Ditto!

• chevys
    16 years ago

Well, one of my friends bought a JD mower with a 25 Kohler and it blew up with about 50 hours on it. This was a few years ago so they must have had some issues with this engine. Luckily for him the JD dealer replaced the engine at no charge and no hassle.

• r.decker52
    15 years ago

Mine threw a rod for the second time and the cam broke in half also. Has anybody pinpointed what causes this or should I buy a different engine. What engine will be the same specs as the piece of crap that is currently on my bench in 100 pieces. Thanks for your help..Rich

• bigbrother44
    15 years ago

" * Posted by gypsy1969 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 1, 08 at 14:33

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have the Kohler manufacturing dates in 2002-2004 or the engine serial number ranges that should be avoided in order to stay away from this head gasket problem?

... Thanks for any inputs or links to this information."

This may be an old thread, but some of us would still appreciate this information if anyone has it...Thanks!

• satch_n
    14 years ago

Just found this thread. I bought one of these Husq. GTH 2548 Garden Tractors. Started heavy smoke at about 30 hours. Warranty person came to my house. Looked at tractor, said it was because my lawn is half on a hill, and that the slope is why it smoked. I didn't like the answer, but what could I do. I continued to use it. I have changed plugs occasionally, and kept oil level up to full. The tractor now has 157 hours and still smokes. It's been out of warranty for a good while, though I did make an effort to have it fixed under warranty.

My question is... is there any information on how to change out the bolts to studs and the gasket myself?

Same machine could use a rebuild on the hydro trans. Reverse is weak, and if on a hill, will not move tractor. Dealer also looked at this, and said everything was normal. I have also have the tripple bagger, the plow blade, the 3-point hitch style lift, wheel weights, and tire chains. I'd like to fix the engine and trans problems myself, if possible.

I've downloaded the parts manual and service manuals for the tractor, but it does not address how to change the head gasket and bolts, or the trans.

Any place to find info and help on this?

• etoh100
    14 years ago

Ok, I got a 25hp Kohler w/same problems. Built date of 6/11/04 blowing white/blue smoke for a few months now. So, where do I find the correct size, length, etc. of studs and gaskets to make the fix to be sure I'm getting the right hardware and not just a replacement of the original faulty bolts/gaskets? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• rcbe
    14 years ago

satch_n and etch100 -

If nothing else, might try giving Kohler's service dept a call and see if they can give you needed info and repl parts details...

• madurodave
    14 years ago

I have 85 hours on mine now. It used to blow a little smoke at start-up and shut-down. Now it is starting to blow more smoke all the time, especially when the load gets heavier (engaging blades, changing direction). I will pop off the spark plugs soon and check for oil. Looks like the right side may be the issue based on this thread.

• backman01
    14 years ago

I posted same problem with my gt5000 25hp kohler 2 months ago i fixed mine myself kohler would not help me with the smoking it was a faulty breather with mine heag gasket was ok, it cost me $70.00 parts but sears,kohler would not help since tractor was new now has 300hrs but no more smoking,sears never documented the calls i made for help with smoking,kohler was no help, Rick in ncpa

• moonglade
    14 years ago

I will never have anything to do with Kohler engines again. I found this site eight years ago; and complained about my Kohler engine. A brief synopsis:

Bought a "used" Cub Cadet with ten hours on it; because the seller didn't like all the safety features. I mowed my lawn for one summer. The following summer it started burning oil; then leaking oil; from the front of the engine. I had a friend that was certified in small engine repair; tore the front of the engine off, gave me the gasket; and told me to get one just like it. (It was torn up!).

Brought the gasket home; engine reassembled, and oil flew all over the place. He tore that damn thing apart three times; and told me I had to get the "Exact" part. I assured him I did. He got pissed at me; I got pissed at him; and I finally took it to a Cub Cadet dealer.

The dealer had my tractor for 2.5 months; told me I could pick it up, and they mowed a half acre of grass with it; and everything was "fine" Final bill: $890.00.

Got it home; and my step son jumped on it; and five minutes later he (he's a big boy); and the tractor, disappeared in a cloud of blue smoke. I never got a chance to ride it.

I called the dealer the next day; and they literally told me to "F***" myself. It was my fault; any idiot should know to check the oil, and dilebrate abuse is not warranted"...

In the meantime; I push mowed the front lawn; and my brother-in-law came over and used a brush hog on my back lawn after it literally turned into a field. It was a horriable summer. This old place really looked like crap.

I reported the "Cub" dealership to the B.B.B.; wrote both Cub and Kohler; neither gave me any sympathy. Bought a Craftsman with a 22 h.p. B & S six years ago. Had a warranty for three years; and the rest of the time; the kind and knowledgable people of this forum help me out.

Ended up selling the tractor for $100.00; for a net loss of around $3,000.00. (Price of tractor; plus repair bill).

Sometimes while I am mowing on my Craftsman; I still get teary-eyed. I don't know if it is because I miss my dad (who passed years ago and loved Sears); or because I miss the reflective American Flag decal on the back of the seat of the Cub Cadet that proclaimed "Proudly Made In America". But it could be reminants of that blue smoke emmiting from that old Kohler engine.

• daciii
    14 years ago

Hi all,
    Just found this thread...Mine is a sears 26hp tractor. Sears seems to claim 26hp, but everything I read and find says its a 25HP..How's that possible. It's a cv730S..

Also having the smoke issue... Started this year.. Just about the 3yr from purchase date mark. Mower started smoking after oil change. I figured it was alittle spilled etc.. Let it go, but still smokes.. After reading here and others, I believe I have the issue of the head gasket. My motor was built in 12/04 and haven't confirmed type of head mounting yet. However I'm going to sears and kohler..actually doubt any help, I'm sure I will get out of warranty speach...but never had a mower only last 2 seasons. Had bought a sears 10hp rider over 25 yrs ago..ran great and lasted...now this one has not performed well or seems to last...WTF..
    If anyone has suggestions (other than above) please post..Looking for help...

thanks

• mownie
    14 years ago

No, no, no! You did not hijack this four year old thread. Please start a new thread of your own to outline your problem. Old threads are for researching to find an answer. If you find an answer in an old thread, good! If you don't find the answer you need, begin a new thread devoted to your machine problem. Welcome to the forum. Please create your first thread now.

• backman01
    14 years ago

Same problem with my gt5000 kohler would not help me as sears never documented my calls,.i have 300hrs on it,i fixed it myself but it was not a headgasket it was the breather that made it somke since day one,i bought a breather,head gasket,head bolts, vcgasket,new plugs, it cost $80.00 but no smoking now really pisses me off about sears,kohler Rick nc pa

• madurodave
    14 years ago

Well, I am now going through 1/2 qt in less than 1 hour. Right spark plug is wet, blue smoke billows. I believe I have a little black smoke at start up when cold also. Breather is falling apart, which could add to smoke, but I do not think it would increase consumption so much. Anyway, I will call a local dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I really don't want to bring it in for repair. I saw a post above about paying almost $900 for nothing. I believe I need new head gaskets and breather.

Question for those that have done it - is the head gasket change difficult? I would assume not, being an air cooled V-twin, but let me know how bad it is. Also, am I on the right path for repair?

Compression measured 170 rt, 175 left and motor feel strong. It is just hard to see through the clouds of smoke!

• mownie
    14 years ago

madurodave, would you please create a separate thread to serve for the project you are about to undertake? This old thread has served its original intent (long ago).
    It is better that you have your own thread for Q&A regarding this different issue. You'll be glad you did.

• madurodave
    14 years ago

I don't think there is any need for a separate thread. I did the repair myself. Right hand side was using oil (plug wet, high oil consumption as noted). Left side looked fine.

I ordered a new head gasket kit (head gasket, exhaust gasket, intake o-ring and 4 bolts), new valve cover o-ring, and a new separator and tube going to carb. About $80 for the parts. 3 hours later - it runs like a champ. Better than when new (new it blew smoke at start-up). It looks like Kohler damaged the gasket at assembly (the old gasket had nicks and tears in it). So at 88 hours, it runs like new!

Thanks to the forum for great information on issues/suggestions!

• dbasberg_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I have the Husqvarna. I have replaced the head gaskets twice in the past. It always works great for 20-40 hours and then goes bad again. This time I would like to fix whatever the problem is that blows the head gaskets. I read in the thread that engaging the blade at low rpm can harm the engine. That sounds unbelievable for a 25 hp engine on a lawn mower. My head gasket looked pretty good last time but I changed it anyways because I had the parts already. The thing I suspect is that reed valve/breather back to the crankcase. I also replaced that and it did look bent. So it worked great for about 25 hours and went bad again. In my case, if you remove the dip stick while engine is running, oil spits out with some white smoke implying a lot of pressure in the crank case. I checked the compression and got 175 left and 168 right. The rings and valves are good. I am really tired of all these overhauls on a machinw with 133 hrs ($2400 down the drain!).
    The reed valve looks like something to meet California emmissions, well I am in Michigan. Can I shut off that passage with a plug and forget the reed. I have throttled down and shut off the engine and got a loud backfire and my wife does it all the time. I am told that blows head gaskets. This damn Kohler sure is fussy about operating procedures! That is very poor design to require the customer to be sooo careful! Anybody know if I can eliminate the reed valve from the cylinder to the crankcase? Thanks, Doug

• tomplum
    13 years ago

"Anybody know if I can eliminate the reed valve from the cylinder to the crankcase?" No. The breather under the front cover has been updated a few times over the years. Also, new head gaskets will have a "fire ring" embedded in them soon. Be extra diligent in your clean up and check the surfaces for distortion. There is also a bulletin that applies to some for a change in flywheel key - which changes the timing slightly to alleviate the problem.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

I seem to remember in this years update that the new fire ring gaskets will be available in June? Could be wrong on that. If there is any ? on that with the distributor let me know. I just don�t have the notes nearby. I�ll send you a bulletin.(SB 289) If you put your engine in parts look up, you will note that the part # for the front breather gasket has changed. The front breather cover is central in the block (4 bolts) behind the carb. Earlier ones used RTV, then they went to a gasket, now to a printed gasket. The only bulletin that I recall was advising dealers to update engines in stock way back when w/ the newer gasket at that time. Bolts or studs- I�ve no opinion. I�ve not had one come back after following the guidance given with the kit/ manual. Scuff those surfaces nice w/ scotch brite.

Subject: Your advise on Kohler engine - THANK YOU

Thank you Tom;

Your helpful post on Gardenweb.com is appreciated.

I hope I can find the details and source for the modified flywheel key. There is a large Kohler distributor in Ohio that I got my head gaskets and reed valves last time. I hope they know enough to send the updated head gasket with "fire ring". I will talk to them on the phone and see what they know about updated parts. I also heard that the head bolts can be replaced with studs and nuts that hold better. I see the service manual specifies higher torque for the studs and nuts over the head bolts. Do you have an opinion on this?

I do not know exactly what you mean about "updated" breather under the front cover. Does that mean an improved reed valve or that oil separator between the right valve cover and air cleaner? Could you explain further on this item?

Your help in making this a lasting engine repair for this engine is greatly appreciated!

• sorterguru
    12 years ago

I too have had massive problems with a sears gt5000 tractor with a 25HP kohler cv730-0044 engine. Had somewhat minor problems for a couple of years and last summer I was cutting and it suddenly bogged down and seemed to run at 1/2 the power. The dealer said, no compression on the right side, you need a new motor for over $2000. I said no thank you. had trouble finding someone who would tear it apart so it sat that winter. This spring I found a local guy and he took it apart and the roker arm fell off as he took the valve cover off. Put it back together and ran great. Got it home and that weekend I started to cut the grass and 10 min. in it died. No compression on the left side this time. Called the guy back and he took it apart again and said I have big time problems.The left side connecting rod broke in half and tore up the bottom end. Blew a hole on the block, broke the cam and chewed up the crank. Got no help from sears or kohler, so I'm guessing I had the same oil problem. I found another motor that will fit. a 24.0 HP Kohler COURAGE SV725S 1 1/8" dia x 4 5/16" length. So my question is has anyone hav problems with this engine? Thank in advance for any info,

• gwen_gwen
    12 years ago

I too have one of these lemons and the low usage engine has about had it. Craftsman and Kohler can both go to HE!!. I'll never have another.

• jlbrownjr_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

I need to change out the electic clutch on the bottom, its only one bolt, but I need to know the bolt, is it left thread or right thread bolt, should I use a impact gun or a breaker bar, how do you keep the motor from rotating while changes out the pulley?

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Lefty loosy. STD rh thread. With your impact, there won't be a need to hold the shaft. If you don't have an impact, some clutches have a "double d" nut directly above the head of the clutch bolt.

• cprinc
    11 years ago

Purchased one of these engines on a Cub Cadet late last year and now have 47 hours on it and it is blowing blue smoke when making a left turn on a slight down hill incline. Sounds like I'm in for big problems from what I have read here. Guess I will have to start the process of getting it resolved. It is still under warranty so maybe I won't have a hard battle. got my fingers crossed...

• grass1950
    11 years ago

I cannot believe this thread is still alive.

• mama_deere
    10 years ago

Just wanted some info on 25hp. Kohler engine...thought women were all about the drama...guess not!!!!

• mownie
    10 years ago

All threads are visible to the same audience.
    No need to make multiple postings to garner attention.
    The same members see them all.
    If you have something specific to discuss you can just add it to the other thread that you created.

• mama_deere
    10 years ago

So tell me how much is an 25 hp. Husqvarna 04 tractor worth. Has snow blade.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

10 yr old machine.. best to chk ebay, craigslist, the like...

• mownie
    10 years ago

8 year old thread too.

• Cris Green
    6 years ago

Searching the web for a problem with the 02-04 (?) Hus. 25 hsp. Husband has to hold the clutch in or it will go dead. Put new carb in ($) . Anyone know anything about the clutch and why it will work but only when it's slightly held in?

Wow- what an old thread ....

• andrelaplume2
    6 years ago

since its still alive; RE: t he dude with the tiller...

"I called up, gave them he!! over the phone, they told me I could 'bring it back for a refund'... What about it being EXACTLY like having bought new? The POS doesn't work at all... I want to exchange it... if I took a new one home and it did that, I'd bring it back and exchange it.. Well, no.. They didn't have one anyhow... Another Lowes in town B had 4 of them new. I could go there and try my luck."

If I understood the posts.....he bought a used tiller. The store said it was 'like new'. It, in reality it was a POS. They offer his money back. He wanted a brand new one! Is this reasonable? If so I'll go over to HD and start buying up all their used equipment, as it fails demand a new one and sell them on the side! I mean maybe he could have argued it should be repaired under warranty. But would you even want that? Hell, they could have refused the return and sent it out for repair. ...probably would not have been too happy with that either.

Glad to hear Lowes eventually stood by there customer.

• mynutsrturning
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Old thread, let us fast forward to update it:

Briggs now intentionally makes plastic carb throwaway small engines called Briggs EXi or "Just check and add oil" engines... No small Briggs for push/self propelled mowers have an iron sleeve now, not even Pro model engines have it anymore..

According to Briggs site there is none being built today, what iron sleeved engines left on the shelves is all there is left!! Pro 850 was the last to have it.

All Kohler engines are made China. Briggs Vanguards are made in China.

Kohler's head gaskets still fail (fixing my sons 3 yr old cub now) & also suffer oil seal leaks from poor machining today, all are made from cheap grade materials in China and won't last long anymore! Very soft aluminum & plastic abounds them.
    Regardless where anything is built it's made by people who never even knew nor do they care about our American pride or our history of quality or about the products longevity!

Anyone 30yrs old and under today simply grew up replacing products not repairing them unless they were dirt poor like I was and always tried repairing first but hey it was the 60's and everything had nuts/bolts/screws then and was steel.

So why would today's engines have so many problems only after a few yrs running when they once ran for many decades without majors? Well' it's called "Planned Obsolescence" and its a fact most corps have now adopted this. Google it to really understand it well if you never heard of it, you'll be so thrilled.

So everytime I read about engines online I'm really glad I'm a pack rat and keep everything. Well' I keep stuff until problems show up so I still have my 76 B-100 8 speed Wheel Horse tractor with the cast iron Kohler K series engine. It's engine/trans has never been apart once and not reached its
    first ring job yet & if it ever does I'll never worry about it again in another 30+
    yrs or in my lifetime at least. It still burns no oil and cuts just as good as anything today without any of the mechanical problems.
    Why people keep buying these junk newer mowers again & again instead of
    buying the old brutes for a fraction of the cost that have outlasted them all by
    several decades idk? Restoring these if needed, is a lot cheaper than new mowers now days and
    it's an all new cast iron brute again ready for decades of service! I see some very nice cast iron garden tractors on craigslist all the time.

Real garden tractors because GT used to actually stand for Garden Tractor but now it's just a sticker slapped on them and they can't even run anything, example: My Wheel Horse runs 23 different implements including Generator, side sickle, snowblower, tiller etc...

Visiting websites about old Wheel Horses, old JD's & old Cubs (non MTD) tractors etc..and everyone is bragging & very proud of their mowers longevity and still use them regularly, sold or scrapped their newer ones they bought just after a few yrs usage. Been there done
    that with a Husqvarna myself!

Visit any site like this one about newer mowers and what you'll always find is its
    junk, its in the shop, motors bad after 3 yrs, hydro rear ends out second time around. I'll sue
    them all! Lemon Laws anyone??..ect.....lol

Even the expensive Zero turns have very costly engine/hydro repairs I read about them and have friends who own them too. In fact I'm good friends with people who care for football fields and cemeteries here so I hear first hand but they are very fast cutters while they are problem free, rarely make a complete season without a shop visit though. Expensive upkeep no doubt.

Sorry but its just ignorant to me to pizz away
    money for landfill delight. Simply amazing and very sad for the old crying
    indian too. Now that really shows my age huh?

*Peace

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions