NYT piece on teaching writing. Thoughts?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (61)
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks
Comments (11)well, I work w/ graphic designers, and it's very true--their tools have changed quite a bit. Classwork will really, really help. You know what also might help? Being able to sit at the elbow of someone doing a similar task w/ the software you're learning to use. Take the class first, but while you're taking it, start scouting out a publication, or advertising agency, or something--tap into those friends!--that uses the same publication you will. Contact a designer there, not necessarily the top cheese in the dept., and call. Explain yourself, and ask if you can come spend a little time watching them work. I've learned so much by seeing them do something quick, and then saying, "how'd you do that?" They then explain the tool to me, and bingo, I've got it. Seeing it happen in real life is such a big plus in terms of learning. Bcs I don't even know enough to realize the "tool" is in the program. I'd just figure out what the long way was, and do that. Then, once you're going, see if you can get them to come watch you design something. They may find efficiencies you could use. Also, one other thought: Efficiency is going to be really important. Maybe more so than creativity. So, try to spend some energy creating templates you can then simply tweak or use outright, without further fussing around. Another thing I've found: the PRINCIPLES are the same. We ship files electronically to our separator. We still send the "mechanical" (except now it's an electronic document, the QuarkXPress file)--it is the real, live, perfect thing that they will actually use. And, bcs an electronic file *can* be change and is therefore more vulnerable, the "mechanical" is now two parts--the one they use (the file) and the one they check it against. That second part used to be a printout. Now, it's a PDF. But the PRINCIPLE is the same as when it was paper. It just has another name. And often digital pictures are sent to the separator instead of actual artwork for them to photograph themselves (and sometimes actual film is sent by the advertiser, here), the principle is the same. Time consuming steps shaved off, that's all. So, as you learn the system for transmitting to the printer, or a program like Quark, with all the tools inside it (dragging, dropping, drawing, step-and-repeat, etc., try to compare with previous systems and methods--because the parallel is there. The same things are being accomplished. Also focus on the GOAL of each of these steps and not their names; it will help you understand them. And, you'll be able to mark them up even if you can't remember the term. (Remember the old days? You could write "KO type" on the tissue overlaying the mechanical; or you could have written "type should be white"--and the people reading it would know what you meant even if you didn't use the "KO" jargon) More random thoughts. Is it that you're intimidated by learning something new? Or is it that, because you are older and a better planner (and not idealistic and unrealistic, which we are when we're younger), that you have a clearer grasp of how complex this could be, and how inefficient you will be at first? That doesn't mean you should quit--just that you should STOP deciding this is an age-induced character defect, and start thinking of it as a "signal system" that's telling you something. It's telling you where the difficulties will lie which hopefully will help you tackle them. What software will you be using for your page design? I'm curious. (oh, and...if your printer can handle more than one software, you guys should use the one that your friends use, so you can use them as coaches)...See MoreClosed Kitchens Making a Comeback: NYT Article
Comments (38)We are about to build a new home in Lake Tahoe that we intend to be in for a long time. Right now we have teenage boys who are beginning to cook more and more but are very messy. My husband works from home and the mess irritates him. When we started designing the house, our architect went ahead and planned for an open kitchen because that's what all her other clients wanted. The house will sit on a narrow, lakefront lot and the way the kitchen was laid out was great if I wanted an open kitchen. But as somebody who really likes to cook and have everything organized and neat, I found it awkward and surprisingly not big enough. It seems like an open kitchen is geared more towards entertaining. I want my kitchen to be a more efficient, working kitchen. I insisted that I have a semi-closed off area because an open kitchen is not conducive to hiding away the mess, finding time/space to focus and concentrate when you need to cook, plan for dinner or a party (for some reason, my DH likes to have serious conversations with me while I am cooking dinner), delineate a boundary between the main cook and guests (which I know you can do with an island), try to keep stuff from the other rooms from always ending up in the kitchen, and also allow the person who is cooking/cleaning to watch the TV shows or listen to radio that they want to instead of being beholden to what the rest of the family wants to watch. Sometimes, too, you want to surprise somebody with a birthday or special meal/cake and that's hard to do in an open kitchen. Also, when my kids were little, I had to teach them about not leaving their toys in my cooking zone. I think an open plan makes this harder to instill and I was always worried about the kids getting burnt and me tripping over a toy. After reading some of the discussions in this forum, I think I am going to have another meeting with my architect and design in barn doors or pocket doors so I can choose to close off the kitchen at times....See MoreCollege admissions process, NYT article
Comments (46)Rita I truly admire how you write..and what you write..I was thinking hard about penny's question and knew that it'd be long messy post with a very strange ending that I wouldn't know myself until I'm there but at least it gives some assurance, penny, that no, not only you don't know the answers..I don't know my own answers myself for example:) (of course I loved university. I had very turbulent youth though. So I had some wonderful things going on-and some s-tty aspects lets call them so. Interestingly whatever happened-I continued to study..and continued to study..well 6 years was my limit though (and of course the best were actually studies after bachelor's degree..even though hard logistically already, the level was just so much deeper. Very challenging, in every way possible. Then I wanted to continue to study again-several times-and weighed some additional directions too...but something always happened. It's like you're swimming down a river..whenever you choose to swim to the left-you miss on right turn. Or it's chosen for you, and then you just swim further. It's kinda hard to cover the whole river.. so..now, it's the same in terms of quantative distribution:) just totally other aspects of life are wonderful. and totally others yet are s-tty. I guess I'm happier now. Strangely so. Even though I do remember all happy things of then. Success? I think we all hold kind of scales..of things most important to us. And maybe even vocabularies differ. Success is not exactly my word (even though Rita's definition is simply too good so i might reconsider), so it's not exactly part of my scale either. Some, their scale is "strength vs weakness". Some, "freedom vs dependency". Mine? I thought I know it. I thought it's more like "being close vs being far"... Great. Still wrote the post. Started with how I shouldn't write it. Another great job lol....See MoreMore thoughts on modern informal writing
Comments (6)Most interesting! Thank you, Rosefolly, for the link to Gretchen McCulloch's piece. Thought provoking, it is. I agree that there are times and places where only formal writing is appropriate -- such as in legal documents, in academic dissertations, and in most business correspondence -- but there are also situations where informal writing is sometimes better. Informal internet forums are some of those places, as are creative ways of telling stories in novels and even in nonfiction genres of books where relating to the readers is probably more important than dry exposition. The trick is being able to discern which is appropriate. Like you, Rosefolly, I am not always sure if some writers know which to use. From Ms McCulloch, I like this bit particularly: Writing, by contrast [to conversing], is something we learn primarily from an educational authority, rather than a layered social context. This authority teaches us a single way of spelling and punctuating and choosing words, a formal style that aims to remove the author as much as possible from the text. Just as news anchors are trained to report the news, not be the news, young essay writers are told not to begin their book reports with “I really liked (or hated) this book.” A formal, disembodied style does have a place in the pantheon of linguistic genres. But the problem with this tradition is that it’s a jealous god — rather than say, “Here is a style that’s useful sometimes,” it says, “Here is the only correct way to write, and any variation from it is Bad and Wrong.” I have ordered Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language because I want to read more of McCulloch's ideas -- since she's said to be "the internet's favorite linguist." I tend to think of internet language as a developing dialect. <smile>...See More- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years agoRita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real thanked Elmer J Fudd
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years agoRita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real thanked Elmer J Fudd
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years agoRita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real thanked sheilajoyce_gw
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years agoRita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real thanked Elmer J Fudd
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years agoRita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real thanked Elmer J Fudd
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years agoRita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real thanked Elmer J Fudd
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years agoRita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real thanked Elmer J Fudd
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years agoRita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real thanked wildchild2x2
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESThe Quotable Garden: Writings That Will Grab Your Heart
Maybe you’ll see yourself in these reflections. Or maybe you’ll find a whole new way of looking at gardening
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGEscape the Inheritance Trap: What to Do With Sentimental Pieces
Too meaningful to toss but too hideous, precious or unusual to display? These ideas can help
Full Story
LIFE6 Tips for Teaching Your Kids to Be Good Neighbors
Everyone wins when your children learn to respect boundaries, get help when they need it and show others they care
Full Story
PETSWhat Chihuahuas Can Teach Us About Interior Design
Who knew these tiny dogs could be such a huge fount of design tips? Houzzers did
Full Story
ARTBarn Quilts Piece Together a Community
One man with one beautiful idea transforms Wisconsin’s Shawano County
Full Story
CRAFTSMAN DESIGNHouzz Tour: Thoughtful Renovation Suits Home's Craftsman Neighborhood
A reconfigured floor plan opens up the downstairs in this Atlanta house, while a new second story adds a private oasis
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESTravel Takeaways: Design Inspiration From Japan
A designer recalls how she went to another country to teach, but the country ended up teaching her
Full Story
BOOKSLaura Ingalls Wilder’s Little House in the Ozarks
A new streaming series based on the author’s classic books premieres soon. See the farmhouse where she lived and wrote
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESInterview: Lessons From a Decor Mentor
Lisa Ferguson Teaches By Example On a Tour of Two Toronto Homes
Full Story
MORE ROOMSHomeschool Spaces Make the Honor Roll
These thoughtful and functional designs inspire creativity and learning within the comfort of home
Full Story
Annie Deighnaugh