SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_cross73

Need help on transplanting dahlias that have been in pot too long!

I bought a lot of tubers & some I decided to " sprout" in pots - very very small pots !! Well I ran into some probs & trouble & was unable to plant them right away - they've been in these pots for far too long! I thought I was able to drop them in no matter how long they've been in the pots but after doing a little searching I'm not so sure I'm able to do so! I tried to keep watering to a minimum so they wouldn't out grow their pots until I could plant them - instead of having tall healthy dahlias to transplant - I have short stocky older plants to transplant ! I'm scared I completely ruined these dahlias & could kick myself for doing so!! Is there anything I can do to plant these to grow still ?? Some of them are hollowed already & most of them were only planted in little pint or quart pots to sprout them so they don't rot. Bc the pots r so small they weren't planted seed at all & the soil barely coveres the tubers!!!! Please please help me !???!!! Can I cut them back & still plant them? Even if they're hollow can I cut them down to a few inches & plant them deep so the soil covers the stem or is this a huge prob ?? Could I cut the leaves off & plant them 4" deep even tho they're planted very shallow?? I feel like a moron!!! Apparently, I wasn't thinking this through!!!

Comments (14)