SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommabearof5

Would appreciate elevation suggestions

E K
6 years ago

We have appreciated all the wonderful help from this group as we hammered away at coming up with our interior layout - we have implemented so many of your helpful suggestions. Next week, we meet with the builder to work on the elevations. The below pics are just sort of a bare bones idea of what we have to work with, so I thought I would come back to see if anyone has thoughts they'd be willing to share. (You can see not much time went into these elevations yet - there shouldn't be roof cutting into the middle of the great room windows, for example.) Honestly, we aren't really set on anything in particular. We did think we might prefer to go with brick instead of stone, as I think brick is more classic, and this is planned to be our "forever" home. On the other hand, I like gray siding, and that wouldn't work with brick I don't think. Anyway, house is on top of a big hill in a large field as shown in the attached pic - the road goes up the hill on the right of the picture. We are planning on a drive off the road that splits and part goes back to the garage for our use, and the guest driveway is a circle drive in front of the house. Thoughts greatly appreciated!

Comments (111)

• E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

palimpsest - would you be able to show the segmented arch window you referenced for the dormer on the front? My husband gets home from a business trip this evening and I am going to mob him with all these suggestions and ideas! LOL Also, would shutters look out of place on this type of elevation? Or do I need to go back and re-read the article about simplicity again? Suggestions for colors? I like grays and browns both, so not really locked into one or the other. One of my favorite combinations has always been gray house with white shutters. Would that look right here? House is on a farm in the country, so maybe browns would be more appropriate? Am I overthinking it?

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

This one is a segmented arch window, in your original plan

• Related Discussions

Suggestions would be appreciated

Q

Comments (2)
    Lauri, I would put it outside. I live in Houston, we had a rather mild winter and mine stayed out all winter. They are sitting on a table (under the eaves) on a south facing patio. It should start to perk up with the warmer temps we are having. Let it dry out, water when dry, have a good fast draining soil. Grow them much like plumeria. Hope this helps. Karen
    ...See More

Would appreciate suggestions on my laundry room layout

Q

Comments (8)
    It's not one of your questions, but the first thing I see is the sink not next to the washer. It doesn't matter in the drawing, but it does when they start planning the hookups. Unless you actually prefer it that way. I also would want more natural light where I was looking for stains and all that. The closet as depicted is cheap to build and should work if you're careful. You could also change it out for cabinets for your various purposes. You could put in laundry sorter bins (by load type or person whose laundry it is), a paper cabinet, a broom closet, some drawers, etc. That will cost a lot more, though it will give you a more organized feeling. Consider doing a narrow pegboard pullout, like the IKEA hack, for hard to store skinnies like mops and brooms. It's much more efficient than hooks on the wall and gives you the space in the actual cupboard for buckets, etc., without blocking access to the skinnies. Other than something like that, however, try not to be too specialized so that in time to come it'll work just as well for you. For instance, if you have removable dividers for the wrapping paper, rather than built-in, it'll be easy to change to storage for lacrosse gear. Make sure there are outlets in the storage for things like dustbusters or electric brooms. The entry really cuts into the usability of that side wall. That's another place you could put paper storage, but only one roll thick. You can also make it as one or two drop down surfaces that have storage for flat papers, bags, etc., with elastics to hold them in place, and surface that opens when the box is down from the wall (use locking angle hardware, or well anchored chains). Then you can use the surface with all that lovely light from the window for spotting, sorting, folding, etc., and swing it up out of your way when you don't need it. You can have a similar surface on the wall behind where the door opens as well for when you need just more surface space and you're willing to close off the doorway to get it. On the side wall by the washer, you could have tilt out drying racks, and some sweater drying solutions.
    ...See More

Gm! I WOULD APPRECIATE suggestions on redesigning my kitchen. i like

Q

Comments (17)
    Agree that the lighting is of prime importance to change out. Accessories can add all the Tuscan influence you want. I would pull out the peninsula and replace it with a Tuscan work table. Your cabinets could stay, but I would add matching crown to all of them and remove that top on the one over the range. Evidently it may cover a vent system, but it looks like you're using a micro with recirculating vent. A warm Tuscan wall paint would be a major change. Work table with storage Accessories Beams that don't cover the entire ceiling might work, plus a Tuscan pendant or two More of a Tuscan farmhouse, white appliances and cabinets; more Tuscan accessories Unified crown molding helps This one is defined as "modern Tuscan" but might be a bit plain for you.
    ...See More

Would appreciate any suggestion/idea on interior design/paint color

Q

Comments (5)
    I think you need to find that perfect balance of minimal and cozy they are not as a rule easy to do. I hate sectionals always so think sofa 2 chairs or even sofa one chair This looks like a nice home but for us to helo you we need to scale floor plans done on graph paper and posted here in comments in jpeg. Then we need info as to how many seats for sure .
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

Or was it something like this you wanted to see with an actual eyebrow dormer.

I think if you are going to do any segmented arch windows, you will need to repeat them with some sort of intention.

E K thanked palimpsest
  • E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't know...just wondered what you were suggesting in the below quote.

"I don't think this house is quite right for any radius but the segmented arch windows (eyebrow) are probably better for this house if you want to use some."

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I think it's interesting that the details of the elevation are being worked out separately from the interior. CPArtist I think asked why they were not planned together.

I am of two minds about this and to some extent I think it actually says something positive about your plan.

The good thing that is says to me is that your house is a series of a couple rectangles and that it is Simple enough that the facades and elevations can be worked out separately, to some extent.

I do think they need to be worked on together. However it is so common to string a bunch of rooms together now and end up with a house that has a dozen and a half corners and jigs and jogs and a dozen gables all topped by a very complex roof. The elevation is Completely driven in those houses by the complexities going on in the plan.

The pure classicists wanted to end up with a formal facade and often the facades too precedence over the interior, and the plan was designed to fit within that. And since I live in an urban house, the same with mine. It's a rectangle and it can't really be anything but, since it shares walls with two houses and a front facade aligned with the entire block.

So I think it's good that your house is at least simple enough in the perimeter plan to allow some flexibility as to what it looks like.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

You have a combination of

and

And I think you should pick one or the other, not use both.

I think fully arched windows like the first one are problematic in modern interiors and also most suitable to particular forms of architecture (mostly classical). The segmented arch window or eyebrow window is maybe a little more forgiving on the interior with regards of what to do with it.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

I assumed the vault would run front to back.

Is this correct?

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I should add that you don't have to do any windows except rectangular shaped except I would follow the peaked roof in back with angled windows following the peak.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Yes if the vault is continuous from back to front it's limited as to what you can do with the front gable. It may need to stay exactly how it is unless you change the roof and ceiling a bit once it crosses the side gable peak

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

I'll also suggest you select an exterior style and use it as a guide, rather than randomly placing shapes and materials.

Not your exact house, but similar. Cross gables on main house mirrored on garage.

• E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

vault is only in great room - ceiling inside door is 9 feet

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Here I changed the gable and dropped the garage 21" -- don't know how your lot slopes on the right side, but this makes that mass visibly smaller, and you need fewer steps up to the bonus room.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

vault is only in great room - ceiling inside door is 9 feet

Why is the front dormer so big if all it does is provide light to the stairs?

And why isn't it centered over the stairs?

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Looking in from the back. Not suggesting these big outside windows, just using them to see into the room.

i don't understand how the front dormer will be seen from the entry/stair, but it seems odd not to have it somehow connected with the rear dormer.

One idea is to have internal windows to allow light from the dormer into the great room.

There would be a glass panel over the stairwell to admit light there, but no big opening up to the gable.

I also think the space needs some definition, shown here by beams and columns, and maybe a short wall like shown above.

• E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ugh...I will have to ask my husband about that window. It made sense when we talked about it originally, but as I look at it now, I don't see how it could work where the ceiling is only 9 feet tall above the steps that would be to the left of the door in the above picture. There wouldn't be anyplace to put a high window there. The space above is more defined than shown. Steps under the window and then a wall to the left of them for the back side of the powder room.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

You might consider a large skylight in the porch roof above the 2 windows.

Or a smaller one above the stairs.

E K thanked PPF.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Since the gable does not extend front to back, I think you have some things to think about.

If you decide to center something over the stairs, it will not line up with the predominant gable in the back and there could be an odd transition between the two unless it is well thought out.

If you line up with the predominant gable in the back, it will not be centered over the stairs so you have to decide what it is centered over.

It would probably be best to try and design something that was centered over the stairs but did not conflict with the gable at the back. In other words I would probably not have two peaked ceilings that intersect near each other without their peaks aligned.

There is an awful lot of attention paid to what happens at the Floor on a plan, but there is very little attention (and sometimes no attention) paid to what happens to the Ceiling on a plan. This isn't too much of a problem with a flat ceiling, but all sorts of weird things can happen if the ceilings aren't flat.

I picked this up once on a house I was consulting on, and it was clear that no one, even the architect had considered what was going to be happening at one of the ceiling junctions and there were three major possibilities, if left up to the framers, and two of them were pretty awkward. And if it hadn't been figured out specifically ahead of time one of the awkward ones was the most likely to be built.

So you need to sort out how you want the peaked ceiling in the back to resolve with the flat ceiling in the front and what happens around the stairs and entry.

E K thanked palimpsest
  • E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmmmm - so assuming like I said that the ceiling over the steps and entryway drops down to 9 foot, what options are there for the transition from cathedral to that. I guess that looking at your picture immediately above, which doesn't show the lowered ceiling, I just picture a wall that drops straight down from peak to the 9 foot level and then goes straight back. I appreciate you mentioning this, but I am trying to think what other options there even would be other than that....?

And I am still confused about how my dormer was supposed to shed light into the steps area. LOL I will ask my husband tonight, because it made sense at the time, but I can't figure out how it was to work with 9 foot ceilings. Glad that was pointed out here!

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

We would need the second floor floorplan and what the hallway around the stairs looks like to even guess.

• E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is the second floor, which just goes over the garage mainly

• cpartist
    6 years ago

So where do the switchback stairs go?

• palimpsest
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Do those stairs go down to the lower level? Is there just some sort of hallway or catwalk type thing over to the garage or is the second set of stairs the only way to get to the 2nd floor over the garage? It looks like the stairs only go Down in the front hall.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

There is a 1st floor plan posted way above, and reviewing the renderings will explain where the stairs lead to.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I am just clarifying, because then the front gable/dormer does not make a lot of sense, to me. And there appears to be a windowless storage room adjacent to the great room and that front gable but not connected.

• E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The switchback steps go down to a walkout basement. The steps near the garage go up to the "bonus room"/bedroom. Here is the main level again.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

So if I understand correctly:

The first floor ceiling height is 9 feet. I am assuming the top of the peak is 8 feet above that because there are probably 8 foot ceilings above the garage and the back peak, the side gables, and the garage gables all seem to line up.

I am assuming 8 foot ceilings on the lower level, so the landing on stairs is going to be about 4-1/2 feet down from that or so

So 4-1/2 feet down from the first floor is the floor level right under that gable and window.

4-1/2 feet + 9 feet (first floor) plus floor thickness (call it one one foot) plus 8 feet to top of gable. So the top of that gable/dormer as drawn is 22-1/2 feet from the stair landing. So the top of that window might be 21 feet from the landing and the sill of that window might be 17-1/2 feet from the landing.

Do you really want to have to maneuver a 20 foot ladder onto that landing to clean the window or change a light bulb?

I won't be as bad in the great room because there is a lot of floor space, it's 4+ feet shorter, and you aren't trying to put a ladder on stairs or a small landing.

• E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay, so my husband is back in town and we discussed the area over the steps. His understanding was that when you walk in the door, it is all cathedral ceiling in that area over the steps and foyer and across the great room, with a wood ceiling and decorative trusses (?) above. I have read that it is not "comfortable" to enter a house directly into a high ceiling like that - that it is best to have a lower ceiling and then walk forward into the high ceiling area. Thoughts?

• cpartist
    6 years ago

When you walk into a high cathedral ceiling and then forward into the great room with a cathedral ceiling there is no definition to make one space more "special". Frank Lloyd Wright was a master of using different ceiling heights to denote which rooms were more important. It also gives the feeling of the room being grander.

E K thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Stairs that descend from the main level are generally not very attractive. You see steps going down, and a railing of some sort.

I'd consider moving them elsewhere.

Combining them with the stairs going above the garage (they would need to move too) might work.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

If you walked into a perfectly rectangular vaulted space that was like the child's drawing of a house with a peaked roof, or the vaulted rooms created by Hugh Newell Jacobsen I would say ok.

And I think this is what your husband is anticipating.

But if I understand the drawings your space isnt quite that way. I does explain why the front peak isnt centered over the stairs though, because it's lined up with the back.

But as drawn on the front it appears that the front peak may not be perfectly flush with the first floor front wall of the house? It appears slightly set back even taking the porch roof into account? If so what happens underneath that inside the house?

Second, there is a powder room in the corner of the vaulted space and that takes an asymmetrical bite out of the room in a way that I think will play out awkwardly with how it relates to the vaulted ceiling.

• User
    6 years ago

Everyone is tiptoeing around telling you to just start over with someone with a clue. As painful as that sounds, a lanced boil is a much better option that attempting to deal with the systemic infection it introduces if left to fester.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Honestly, I have to agree with Sophie. Even looking at your plans I see so many things that could be better. I know it's hard to hear and believe me when I posted my first plans, I hated hearing all the negative comments, even though I knew they were correct.

However, listening to them and working them through with the help of the architects on this forum, led me to the beautiful home I'm now building.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

The powder room, I think, is going to have an effect like on the right.

• E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, palimpsest - you are right, and we talked to the drafter today about that very thing.

What do you think about this.......?

My husband had an unusual idea to deal with this that we are tossing around. What if you walk in the door and there is a 9 ft ceiling across from the bathroom, that goes across the foyer and steps and the area above the ceiling is a little loft that looks down onto the great room? There would still be the window above like you show (the front dormer), which would light the lofted area, and the cathedral ceiling and scissor trusses would still be across the whole area (from very front of house to the back). The loft area would be mostly for looks and as a unique feature, and I am not sure that it would be accessible except if a ladder replaced the area where we have a coat closet. He likes the idea; I am having a hard time picturing it and justifying the extra expense. I am leaning toward just a 9 foot ceiling inside the door, with the cathedral being in just the great room itself. My SIL and BIL have a top floor in their beautiful 4 story beach house that is only accessible by a straight up and down ladder and that is where he got that idea I think.

Anyway, thoughts appreciated on this idea.

Sophie - Thanks for chiming in. Are you suggesting starting over with the entire plan or just the elevations? When I posted the floorplan asking for thoughts a while back, the feedback was generally good. I guess I am not getting the same vibe as you are from the responses if you are saying the whole plan is a nasty "boil."

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Can you post to the thread about the layout?

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Could you reposition the stairs opposite the powder room to get the door centered under the peak and the stairs balancing the powder room in some sort of way that made a balanced if not symmetrical elevation? This is messy and distorted but something like this?

• E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So in this example, are you imagining a 9 foot ceiling right inside the door, and then the cathedral ceiling begins at the end of the powder room wall and edge of steps? That is how it looks, and I am trying to picture it.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Yes, and no upper window.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

If you will look back to to image withe the internal windows, that may help with visualizing the loft Idea.

That image also shows -- or attempts to show the vault starting at the great room boundary, not the powder room wall.

• E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

PPF - yes, I have looked at that several times to imagine what it would look like. (Thanks again for posting it - I am a visual person, so seeing pictures like that helps me a lot). Do you think the loft is a crazy idea, or does it seem feasible? If it is going to add $5k to the cost or something, not worth it to me, but my husband really likes the idea (probably because it was his - LOL)

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

I was going to suggest a room up there when I did that rendering. It could be accessed through the attic via the rooms over the garage.

E K thanked PPF.
  • E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Awesome - thanks for taking time to make a visual for that! I am not sure there would be a way from the room over the garage to get to this; I will have to give that some more thought......

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Like cpartist said -- the ceiling defines the space.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

E K thanked PPF.
  • E K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

PPF - I have a question about something in the pic you put above about "defining" the space. Is it advisable to have posts (columns? not sure what they are called) like you show to define the space further? We have that random post between the great room and kitchen that may be very expensive to get rid of, and I am thinking that more posts would make it stand out less, but I am not sure if I would like the look of multiple posts throughout the area like that.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

The columns are personal preference. I like interior architecture, and defining spaces without using walls.

It is fairly common when you have a single structural column to pare it with a non structural one for balance, unless the single one is located where it seems natural.

Yours looks like it is not at a corner of anything.

I don't understand why you need it in that specific location. If it were moved about 4' towards the powder room it would be at the corner of the great room and start of the vault.

• Momma K
    6 years ago

I don't think it does need to be right there exactly.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

You could arched, or flat top openings.