SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wheat1022

Need a door at bottom of stairs... but HOW??

Lauren W
6 years ago

Hello! First time poster here. I'm hoping someone has some ideas on how or IF we can add a set of skinny french doors to our stairs (OR another kind of door, but I think french doors as shown in the last pic would work the best to save space, look nice, let light in/out, and for functionality. I'm open to suggestions!!!).

We lose a lot of heat up there in the winter, have pets we'd like to keep out, and plan to start using the attic space as our master in the near future. I've posted a pic of what I'd LOVE to do (last pic), but not sure if it is possible, working with what we have. I'd like to do the door on the second or third stair up. We understand the staircase will need to be framed and closed off, frame the door, build (or have someone build) custom doors, etc.

I don't want to alter the staircase itself structurally. It isn't in the budget. Putting a door at the top of the stairs is not really an option either. The attic is a loft style space so framing walls and a door will really ruin the open concept and the sloped ceilings would make it very difficult.

So, does this seem like a feasible option? Could me and my husband (moderate DIY'ers) tackle this project or do you think I must hire a pro? (please ignore the horrendous chips and scratches, I'm about to paint and stain, then add a runner, but obviously doing the wall and door first is necessary.) Thank you!

Comments (13)