SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Question on plants grown from seed and hybridization

Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So I was reading this thread just now (http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3887787/why-are-japanese-maples-not-true-to-seed) and gardengals reply caught my attention. Especially this last sentence on one of her posts "Anything grown by seed is just a species plant".

1) So lets say I have a grafted acer palmatum 'osakazuki', a green leafed JM, and my neighbor has a red leafed JM. So if they pollinate each other and I collect the seed produced from my osakazuki JM, what color leafed JM will that seedling be? Red or green?

2) I have an acer shirasawanum in my yard now and an acer platanoides and an acer rubrum in my neighbors yard. Would that cause hybridization in the seed thats grown from the osazakuki?

3) Next question. I have a couple pine cones growing on my pinus thunbergii 'thunderhead'. If I take the cones, stratify it, and try to grow it from seed will it just be a pure 'pinus thunbergii' species? And say there is a pinus strobus nearby. Can that produce a seedling that is a hybrid between thunbergii and strobus.

4) I am trying to buy an iris sanguinea from an online nursery the propagator(also the owner of the nursery) of this plant says she grows it from seeds. Do irises hybridize each other? She also has other different irises as well.

Comments (3)