SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rskrishnan

How to prune a lemon plant grown from seed ...

rskrishnan
18 years ago

Hello All,

I have a lemon plant/tree thats been growing from a seed (safeway fruit). I'm not exactly sure what kind of lemon/lime this is. It's not about 5' tall, has what I think are essentially "double" stems - two sturdy about 1" dia stes growing from the ground up. The plant/tree-let is about 5' tall and seems to grow in spurts!

Every now and then I see intense violet/black new leaves which evetually become nice green leaves. Has some nice big thorns - yes thorns - about 0.75" long.

Do I have to prune this tree to get it fruit ? It is about 5 years old and has not yielded any fruit or flowers. Some research seems to indicate that I may not have "enough nodes" - though what is a node or how many is enough is open for debate!!

So how do I prune this plant and when ? Has anyone got any fruits from a store bought lemon/lime ??

Some pointers on how to id a lemon/lime plant would be great! I did some research and the consensus seems that the seed will be true to the root-stock of the store bought fruit - not true to the particular fruit I got it from! Seems pretty incredible - but I'd still like to id the specific citrus if possible - just so I can care for it better. It has done well across 5 years moved with me across 2 apts and a house, and moved from seed -> BIG glass jar -> soil in my house! And seems to have weathered my uneducated care! So it deserves some "chill out time" now!!

Thanks,

rsk.

I'm in SF city if it makes any diff to pruning tech.

Comments (21)