SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 8 - 2 - 17

User
6 years ago

John Tyndall Quotes
English - Physicist August 2, 1820 - December 4, 1893

Life is a wave, which in no two consecutive moments of its existence is composed of the same particles.
John Tyndall

Knowledge once gained casts a light beyond its own immediate boundaries.
John Tyndall

The brightest flashes in the world of thought are incomplete until they have been proven to have their counterparts in the world of fact.
John Tyndall

Believing, as I do, in the continuity of nature, I cannot stop abruptly where our microscopes cease to be of use. Here the vision of the mind authoritatively supplements the vision of the eye. By a necessity engendered and justified by science I cross the boundary of the experimental evidence, and discern in that Matter which we, in our ignorance of its latent powers, and notwithstanding our professed reverence for its Creator, have hitherto covered with opprobrium, the promise and potency of all terrestrial Life.
John Tyndall

Every occurrence in Nature is preceded by other occurrences which are its causes, and succeeded by others which are its effects. The human mind is not satisfied with observing and studying any natural occurrence alone, but takes pleasure in connecting every natural fact with what has gone before it, and with what is to come after it.
John Tyndall

If you ask me whether science has solved, or is likely to solve, the problem of this universe, I must shake my head in doubt. We have been talking of matter and force; but whence came matter, and whence came force? You remember the first Napoleon’s question, when the savans who accompanied him to Egypt discussed in his presence the problem of the universe, and solved it to their apparent satisfaction. He looked aloft to the starry heavens, and said—“It is all very well, gentlemen, but who made all these!” That question still remains unanswered, and science makes no attempt to answer it.
John Tyndall

It is as fatal as it is cowardly to blink facts because they are not to our taste.
John Tyndall

Knowledge once gained casts a faint light beyond its own immediate boundaries. There is no discovery so limited as not to illuminate something beyond itself.
John Tyndall

Religious feeling is as much a verity as any other part of human consciousness; and against it, on its subjective side, the waves of science beat in vain.
John Tyndall

The first experiment a child makes is a physical experiment: the suction-pump is but an imitation of the first act of every new-born infant.
John Tyndall

The mind of man may be compared to a musical instrument with a certain range of notes, beyond which in both directions we have an infinitude of silence. The phenomena of matter and force lie within our intellectual range, and as far as they reach we will at all hazards push our inquiries. But behind, and above, and around all, the real mystery of this universe [Who made it all?] lies unsolved, and, as far as we are concerned, is incapable of solution.

There is, however, no genius so gifted as not to need control and verification. ... [T]he brightest flashes in the world of thought are incomplete until they have been proved to have their counterparts in the world of fact. Thus the vocation of the true experimentalist may be defined as the continued exercise of spiritual insight, and its incessant correction and realisation. His experiments constitute a body, of which his purified intuitions are, as it were, the soul.
John Tyndall

We can trace the development of a nervous system, and correlate with it the parallel phenomena of sensation and thought. We see with undoubting certainty that they go hand in hand. But we try to soar in a vacuum the moment we seek to comprehend the connexion between them … Man the object is separated by an impassable gulf from man the subject.
John Tyndall

We live in the sky, not under it.
John Tyndall

With accurate experiment and observation to work upon, imagination becomes the architect of physical theory.
John Tyndall

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions