SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_sorrentino

Advice: Pathways and Porches

Sarah Sorrentino
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

When we moved into our new home about two years ago, there was already a flagstone path from the driveway to the front porch. We added the pavers to make a more formal walkway from the sidewalk ourselves. We went with what seemed to be a relatively easy and affordable material choice for that path at the time, but now it's feeling like it sticks out a bit and doesn't exactly flow with the flagstone. In addition, I'm now sick of the bare concrete front porch floor and would like to reface it somehow. But I'm concerned about the materials all feeling very "patchwork" so I want to be sure we choose carefully this time. We definitely want to keep the flagstone and want the other materials to complement that one, and the style of the home. So, here are my current conundrums:

1. What material would be best for the porch floor? Bluestone/Flagstone/Slate? Wood? Brick? I love brick porch floors, so my first choices would probably be that or wood - but wood is going to be harder for us to install ourselves.
  2. Based on the selection for #1, what do we then do with the formal walkway? Does it need to match the porch floor material?
  3. How many materials is generally considered "right" for a home's exterior? Is it best to just stick with all stone, or can we mix in an elegant way?
  4. One other consideration is that we're thinking about adding a stacked stone veneer to cover the bare concrete foundation of the house sometime down the line. This is only visible from the sides and the back of the house, but I know we need to consider that along with the rest of our material choices as well.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice!

Comments (7)