SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Ridiculous heat in the Pacific NW

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Most easterners have this stereotype of climate in the Pacific North West. We tend to think it's cloudy, misty and rains every day (a stereotype we have for '"London" weather as well). In fact, I frequently see these assumptions about the climate in that neck of the woods here in the various gardening fora. It was a surprise to me to discover how Summers are really quite arid in a lot of the Pacific Northwest (compared to eastern norms).

Still, this recent weather predicted in the Pacific North West sounds dangerous (110 F. for Portland; 100 F. for SEATTLE!), especially when you hear a lot of people don't even have air-conditioning in the region. Hope if you live in that region of the country you don't have to deal with fire as a result of all this. And somehow trees and shrubs will have to cope.

May be my imagination but it seems that area of the country still has been much hotter and drier than normal in recent years. Being that it generally is arid in the Summer, I guess these highs are within reach; whereas this year, it's been hard to get really hot in the East due to high moisture content of soils (despite Miami setting a new all time heat record for the month of July 2017). This is about as normal though as I recall my local NJ weather being in a several years!

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/record-heat-west-early-august-2017

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths