SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcyzone6

Who lives in the path of the eclipse?

Marcy
6 years ago

I'm in southern Illinois and the city of Carbondale will be one of the areas where the total eclipse will supposedly last the longest..... motel rooms in the area are being booked for as much as $700.00 per night, and I'm talking about a Motel 8!!!!!!!!! Are you planning to view the eclipse, and if so will you have to travel to watch it, or will it be visible where you live?

Comments (150)

• dbarron
    6 years ago

I don't see that it should stress them, they've been seeing day and night come all their life. This one is just a bit earlier arriving, and sooner departing than most nights. In believe that in an animals mind, all will be normal.

• Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Don't know dbarron....that's just what the animal expert said could happen! Our vet sent out emails recommending that people with very timid pets should take them into a darkened room and turn the lights out while letting your pet know that everything is ok....... I tried not to laugh, but that just seems sort of weird to me....Then again, I'm not a vet, and Bingo isn't really a chicken dog.

Local news says traffic is backing up on all the routes around Carbondale Illinois and Hopkinsville Kentucky. I'm staying home tomorrow! LOL!

• Related Discussions

Total eclipse 2017....are you making plans?

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes, I am planning to at least make a day trip of it for my birthday! Haven't decided exactly where to go, the path will be roughly a 5-6 hour drive to KY or TN, I think, if I stick to major roads, but longer if I try to get to a more remote area
    ...See More

Astrology and the solar eclipse

Q

Comments (10)
    I have never understood why astrologers would go to the effort to learn the constellations and when they will appear in the sky, and where relative to the constellations the planets can be found, without then also learning that the locations of the planets are predictable because of the physics of mass and gravity. And the same math that will determine where the planets will be, also clearly shows that the gravitational influence exerted on you by any of the non-earth planets is significantly less than that exerted on you by a large truck driving past your house.
    ...See More

OT - Did you see the eclipse?

Q

Comments (41)
    A group of 50+ of us went to a state park in TN (east of Nashville) so we were there for totality (2 minutes, 34 seconds) It was so cool watching the moon eat the sun, bit by bit. At totality, everyone whipped off their eclipse glasses and cheered and was just amazed. I stood there looking up--those 2.5 minutes passed really quickly. I got to see the diamond ring effect both at the beginning and end of the eclipse, as well as being able to see Mars. It didn't get as dark as I expected--we could see stars and Mars, but it wasn't dark--it was deep twilight. I didn't take pictures, but friends who are with me are sharing theirs. It was an amazing experience and well worth the 9+ hour drive!
    ...See More

Hurricane Irma ... Who's on the path?

Q

Comments (68)
    Cape Coral, across the river from Ft. Myers here. We came through fine. My plumeria looks pretty battered, but the rest of my plants and our home are fine. Most neighbors fared well, too. All around town there are downed or broken live oaks and palm trees, and plenty of palm fronds. Royal poinciana trees didn't fare too well, either. It could have been much worse. Spotty power outages still exist in the Cape, but other areas in FM and Naples may be without power for a week or two longer. While the storm surge wasn't bad here, there is some flooding. We get sheet flow from Charlotte county. Other areas of the county are dealing with a lot of water. You also need to remember that when Harvey hit Texas, we had a tropical low dump rain on us at the same time. Although unrelated to the hurricane, we did get over 20 inches of rain in a couple of days. So the ground was already saturated. I think the ACOE is trying to figure out a way to pump the water out of some areas because they won't drain. We had actually evacuated to our son's place in Tampa - - because, you know, it looked like it would hit up there! LOL He did not even lose power. The area is near USF and didn't look like it took too much damage. His place of employment was flooded so he didn't work on Monday or Tuesday. But all in all, they dodged a bullet, too!
    ...See More
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I will be at work tomorrow afternoon, and without eclipse glasses I can't see it (72%), they were sold out in my area. You guys have fun!

• wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

Cloud cover here. Doubt the sun will be out in the next hour.

Update: Sun burned off the clouds in time.

• linda_6
    6 years ago

Sunny here, so far. I've made my view out of a cereal box. Now I'm just waiting for something to start happening.

• Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's about a third covered here!!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

It's passing locally, sun close to back to normal size and shape. At our 95% totality, it was still more light on my patio than I would have expected. I would have needed lamps on inside and the street light came on, but not as dark as I would have guessed. The temperature dropped ;0)

It was so foggy when I first got up at 6 AM, I had thought we were going to have to get in the truck and drive inland to see, but the fog had burned away by 7:30.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Marcy, where are you? We have sun here, not dark yet. I am near Canada by Lake Erie.

• donna_loomis
    6 years ago

I'm so bummed. It was nice and sunny at home, but by the time I got to work (about 12 miles from home), it was overcast. Couldn't even see the sun.

• sjerin
    6 years ago

I left pilates class a little early and saw the moon do its thing with my neighbor, here in San Jose. Very exciting and so fun to watch tv too as the eclipse makes its way across the U.S.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

morz8, that was my reaction as well :-) I had expected the darkening to be more pronounced than it was........it was more like a dimming of intensity rather than actual darkness. At only 92% totality here, I guess that 8% sunlight makes a big difference!! And if you didn't have the eclipse glasses and never paid any attention to the news, you might not even realize there was an eclipse occurring at all. We too had a lot of fog off the Sound but it was low enough and dissipated well enough it didn't impact viewing.

What I liked best about the whole thing was the gathering of dozens of folks in the usually completely deserted vacant lot across the street (and who graciously shared their eclipse glasses) and the way that small sliver of remaining sun moved clockwise around the moon. That was very cool!!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

It' s about 1/3 covered here, borrowed someone's glasses. Really cool! :-)

• chisue
    6 years ago

Cloud cover here north of Chicago. At close to totality the temperature began to drop a little -- only went from 81 to 79. Birds were noisy. Air was still. Enjoying the TV coverage from NW to SE across the US. Only saw the 'green flash' on TV.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I saw it at about 65 percent and took a photo. Not much darker here....there are quite a few clouds.

• Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

I drove my kids to school this morning through a bunch of rain and I was really bummed.

The sun burned off enough clouds that I could see it so I made a pinhole viewer and ran up to school. Got my 10 year old out of class and she got to see it with me!

• Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Summers I'm in southern illinois

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Thanks Marcy. I have to buy the eclipse glasses for 2024. It's so pretty!

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Hahaha I too agree that animals won't be affected by it. There were lots of FB sharings about bringing your pets indoors. I mentioned it upthread. Having thought about it, animals are smart, and they don't walk around looking at the sun on any given day, neither do I......it hurts! So I nor they, nor the cattle and wolves will have any fear of going blind.

• Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It was beautiful wasn't it Summer!! My MIL got the biggest kick out of the diamond ring!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

It was beautiful indeed! Glad you had a great time with your family! :-)

• aok27502
    6 years ago

Wow, so cool! We traveled to Charleston, SC, and stayed with relatives. We were 100%. It was pretty well clouded over, but in the last couple of minutes before totality, a hole in the clouds came past. We had almost perfect viewing. Uncle H got some fantastic photos of totality. Absolutely worth the trip!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    6 years ago

Clouds and a couple of sprinkles.

• socks
    6 years ago

I went to a school where there were thousands of people gathered. I saw it through the glasses, about 60%. Awesome!

• vicsgirl
    6 years ago

Where I live, Long Island NY, it was only 70 percent, yet breathtaking to see a sunny afternoon turn dark like it was 5 pm, I did put on my darkest sunglasses and looked into the sun for a couple of seconds. Dumb, I know. I did see what I'd call a 'crescent sun". My eyes have returned to normal, thank goodness.

• lily316
    6 years ago

It was sorta of a non-event here. I didn't have glasses so stayed indoors and watched it on TV where they had 100%. We had some hazy sky cover and it got weird out but never got anywhere near dark at 78%.

• lilion
    6 years ago
    Got to admit. it was cooler than I expected - literally. The temp dropping was as beat as it going dark. it didn't get as dark as I expected, I thought it would be like night. it was more like late evening. Still, very cool.
  • Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's what we saw during the totality...

• Chi
    6 years ago

Nice picture! Beautiful!

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

It was really a thrill. We were in Greenville, SC for a mini- family reunion so near Clemson which was dead center. We saw the shadow snakes, the beads, the 'diamond rings' and the beautiful sunrise effect with 2 minutes and 7 seconds of totality.

I loved the effects like seeing the stars come out and the shadows on the ground. The hotel where we were staying made it a party and had a cookout.

• Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My niece took it while I was oooing and ahhing at the sky! LOL!

• Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That sunrise deal was amazing, wasn't it!!

• kittymoonbeam
    6 years ago

Ours was 75-80%. We had clouds from the Pacific that gradually opened up to show the beginning of the eclipse.

The light became a beautiful golden and all the roses glowed. It felt like the beautiful hours before night. Through the trees everything looked very soft and pretty.

I had one pair of eclipse glasses that I left on the table on the porch for any neighbors to use. I had a number of people come by and kids. I had lemonade , iced tea, coffee bread, cookies and strawberries and had a great time visiting. We need these good things to get together. People need more happiness right now.

I watched the live totality in two states on the NASA channel and it looked fun.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

A nice photo! It looks like a gaint eye staring at us! :-)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

We drove up to a little town called Sparta in the middle of nursery country in central Tennessee. THANK YOU, Sparta! This tiny community sat in the center of totality, a full 100% eclipse for 2min., 38sec. That's two and a half minutes to appreciate it without those black glasses.

It was a hot, sunny day in little Sparta. We could tell it was a bit glutted with EPs (eclipse peeps) but we had chosen an area that was well off the beaten path. We passed many little gatherings in church parking lots, roadside pull offs, wide driveways, and the like. We chose to aim for a high knoll we spotted just off the main road, accessed by a steep, narrow paved path.

There was already a couple of cars there and they waved us up to join them. In short order, we were a little group of about twenty humans of every age and one Yorky.

Most brought chairs which we settled under the small trees to watch the sun being slowly swallowed up by the moon. It seemed to take forever to get to the point where we collectively began to notice some significant changes in our little environment.

At about 80%, it was decidely cooler, the colors all around us more saturated, I could take my sunglasses off. That's another thing you just cannot get by watching the TV.....how weird the light starts to get.

The cicadas and crickets really piped up at that point, but it was still pretty light. A tiny breeze tickled the leaves in the trees.

At 90% or more, the street lights flickered on and drivers began to put on their lights. Mosquitoes came out in full force (!!!!!) and all of the friendly chitchat amongst us died away as we became wholly involved in what was happening, each in our own way.

But it wasn't until that final sliver gave way to full totality that we couldn't help but shout out and applaud....it was that emotional. My visceral reaction was to grab my husband's hand and to well up with tears.

In those final seconds, that tiniest sliver disappeared and we were able to stare up at the black hole in the dusky sky, with its fiery corona. Venus was as bright as if in a night sky.

When the sun poked out the other side (diamond ring), we donned our glasses again, the talk between us picked up as we compared observations. It seemed to get lighter so much faster than it got dark; within five minutes the EPs began to depart our little knoll.

• kittymoonbeam
    6 years ago

my favorite picture from the eclipse. Wow what a lucky shot!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Rhizo, a lovely eclipse tale! I hope everyone had bug spray.....,,I only looked up twice, it was covered 30% and 70%, had to borrow someone's glasses, I found it was breathtaking, priceless.....,,I have to buy the glasses for 2024 and to watch the whole thing.

Nice photo Kittymoonbeam!

• lily316
    6 years ago

I'm jealous of those who had a 100% eclipse. At 78%, it was less than spectacular.

• dbarron
    6 years ago

At 90%, it just got a little dim, less than spectacular is an understatement :)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

The clouds covered it, off and on, but broke at the moment of corona. It was far cooler than I thought it was going to be. I didn't bother with pictures as I was trying to see so many things, including the multiple eclipses on the ground through the trees. Really cool. Already looking forward to next time.

• Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes rob those crescents were fantastic weren't they!!!!

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Courtesy of NASA, this is one of my favorite photos of the eclipse.

Yes, the crescents on the ground and the crazy patterns created by the leaves in the trees were amazing. Yes, Venus was as bright as I've seen it! It gave me chills to hear the small crowd around us call out, cheer, gasp, clap, or have such reactions when totality occurred. It seemed like you could imagine the entire US was experiencing this at the same time, in that same moment.

Did anyone else see the shadow snakes? They were very faint but really cool! I tried to take a video. Not sure it's visible on the video. The hotel let us use a white sheet. We would not have seen the phenomenon I don't think without it.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Looks like only 100 percent is worth while!

But, it was exciting to get into the mix of it all.

• wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

We were in a 75% area so I didn't bother. But DD took the little ones to their dad's workplace. They were excited to be able to go up on the roof via interior ladder view their first eclipse. Family memories are made like that. ;-) Today I took some sun print paper to them and we made sun prints. DGD also asked me to help her make a glitter star to give to one of her favorite little friends next time she sees him. Science lessons of the week.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

In Sparta, we drove to a convenience store parking lot to use the restroom. It was a little bit after noon, well over an hour before peak eclipse time when we got ready to drive around to find our viewing location. Robert just happened to look up with his eclipse glasses before we got into the vehicle and said, "It's already started!"

Sure enough, a little bite was missing from the sun! Even that was exciting.

The difference between any smaller percentage and a full eclipse is very significant. You wouldn't think so, but it is. Even at the last minute.....99%.....there is still sunlight providing light, if even a little bit. as the moon moved into that perfect position everything changed. It was shocking, startling, gasp provoking. Can't explain it, really.

I shouted to everyone to remove their eclipse glasses; it was an amazing thing to see. The corona around black hole was like a dim night light, providing some illumination to the night sky but not to the ground. Can't really explain it.

Everyone was quiet, speaking only in whispers to those closest. It was an intimate moment for this small group we were with, thankfully not a mob nor with an idiot who felt compelled to shoot off fireworks. ;-( But that second when the moon moved into that perfect spot, lots of noisy spontaneous reactions.

Funny about the bug spray. The guy who came with his little Yorkie (Rocky, a rescue) went around offering spritzes of his organic repellent after the little nuisances came out in hoards; they were ravenous! It duskish at that time and we needed protection!

By the way, Huntsville was in the 97% range, enough to enjoy an interesting experience. We chose to "go big" and drive that picturesque two hours to Sparta.

Robert took a couple of quick videos and they are both filled with the sounds of the crickets and cicadas. The difference between a couple of minutes before the total eclipse and the big moment was striking. Day and night. I can't quite explain it.

• Janie
    6 years ago

I was in the 62.5% area and still found it wonderful. We looked through the glasses and enjoyed the darker sky and strange color and 4 degree cooler temps for a few minutes. I knew what to expect and I enjoyed what I got!

• Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree that the first tiny bite missing from the sun was amazing!!! And as that bite grew larger I noticed that unles I put on the glasses and actually looked at the eclipse, I wouldn't have been able to notice that anything was going on. The sun still seemed to be just as bright as always......then I put my glasses back on and WOW!!! Those of you who didn't think it was worth it in your area may have missed a show! Once the sun was about 2/3 covered, things started looking noticeably different, but the sun still seemed to look whole unless I put the glasses back on and looked directly at it. It was way cool!!!!!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

marcy, I didn't get to see the shadows. I looked, but the conditions weren't right for me. I've really enjoyed the many photos of them!

• Curlysue
    6 years ago

We were in the 99.2%. As soon as this one is over we start talking about the next. In 2024 we will be at 98%, not much different. I have 7 years to plan that party, this one was great but the next one will be even better. What a memory!

• jrb451
    6 years ago

100% in Lithium Springs, MO. It was awesome. Diamond Ring with Bailey's Beads in the right hand side.

• Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beautiful!! We were so awed when the diamond ring started that we didn't even think to try get a picture, then within a few seconds it was over..... Thanks for sharing that jrb!!!