SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rishie_52

Need help with railing for back of house please!

Michael Little
6 years ago

We are trying to decide on railing for the back of the house and are having some minor issues. We were thinking of powder coated alum railing but the cost seems crazy for something that we are not even a huge fan of. Our allowance is $6000 and our gc just gave us a bid for $11.5k... don't get me started. At any rate we were looking at some other alternatives and had some questions. The distance between the posts in the pic are about 10' so we are looking at someone that sells a 10' section unless there is another option? Here are our thought:

Trex/Composite/PVC Railing:

We like the look but are not sure they make a 10' section with top/botton rail and baulsters? Should there be a support in the center and if so how can I do it? Do I have to add another post in the middle or a simple support foot?

Cable Railing:

Expensive hardware but I can do the install myself if needed. We got a quote for $3500 for the hardware but were not sure about the 10' span. Can the cable and top rail span 10' or do I need some sort of intermediate post (maybe a small one)?

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (24)