SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

ISO Source for Metal Exterior Stair Railings

chicagoans
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm having my front porch rebuilt and got some quotes for the metal stair railings from a local design firm, recommended by my builder and architect. They work with metal workers from various states and have some beautiful examples of custom railings, locks, appliance pulls, etc.

I was a bit disappointed but not surprised that the estimates came in higher than I'd like: $4650 for aluminum and steel powder coated, and $6560 for brass. (I prefer the profile of the aluminum for my house, which is Georgian style.) As you can see from the pic below, it's a simple porch and there are only a few stairs (that's a preliminary pic from the architect; builder has detailed drawings) and the quote is for a fairly standard design with just a curve at the ends, no flares at the bottom or anything fancy.

I've Googled several options and can't find anything other than big box options, which are probably what I have now. I'd like something nicer than what I can get at Home Depot, but I'm afraid the powder coated aluminum/steel option isn't going to look like a $4k upgrade.

What kind of company should I be looking for, for a mid range option for stair railings? My home is mid-range to high-mid-range for this area (low 800’s, probably, while new builds are about 1.3M and up.) I hope to sell in 2-3 years so while I don't want cheap, I don't need high end. Are these quotes what I should be expecting? Haven't done this before and I can’t seem to find comparisons. I don't mind spending the $4.6k if I get something to compare it with and find it to be reasonable.

If it helps to judge the relative value of new railings, I'll be replacing the door and sidelights, getting new windows on the first floor, the new steps and stoop will be covered with pavers (there’s an existing paver walk way), and there will be nice moldings or plinths on the house wall behind the columns.

Would love to know where you sourced your railings.

TIA!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996