SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
persianmd2orchard

Balcony fruit in SoCal

Hi everyone, haven't posted in a while and I'm not sure if this is better for the container thread. I just moved out to LA and am eyeing an apartment with a good sized south face balcony actually in Pasadena. I'd prefer to keep the fruit trees on a balcony year round (I mean if it's going to be the coldest night of the year I can bring them in for a night or two, but would prefer to max their time outside on balcony and not go thru shocking plants with shuffling them long-term in and out). One concern I have is I feel like plants are a little less cold hardy when in a container and so I'm unsure if some of the more tropical things I'm interested in would do OK.

-I assume figs, pomegranates, citrus would do just fine outside the whole year. Is there anything else tropical to subtropical I can add that might do well on a balcony in a container outside 99% of the year? How about passion fruit, banana, mango, avocado, atemoya? Any way to grow these compactly but still somewhat productively hat would be fun?

-Should I go with south facing if fruit is my main goal? West facing also an option.

-Any good sources around me in LA for already bearing fruit trees that might work well on balcony? Willing to pay for quality/more mature plants.

Comments (3)