SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

What is eating my leaves??? (And updates)

I've never had this happen before and it is driving me crazy. I have seen it on a few of my trees which are in the same area. I think Tom mentioned grasshoppers....I had not seen one till today. I saw one green one less than an inch long. I squirted him off with the hose but if I'd thought of it, I would have squished him if he's the culprit. Should I just cut off that long limb that has been mostly chewed? There's not much left of the leaves...

Also, to update you guys....my nagami kumquat looks great now. All the limb dieback has stopped. I never did use the copper stuff, but I did spray it twice with neem/HO combination. I still don't know what it was, but am glad it stopped.

And last but not least, my cuttings....all have started to really grow. I finally separated them today. They all look great and had very developed root systems. I am glad I separated them when I did because they were already partly tangled.

Cocktail grapefruit

The three on the right are oro blanco....all from one large branch that broke off my tree. I never thought they'd all take. Will they be ok on their own roots?

And just now, I finished potting up Kevin the Key Lime...he is in a massive pot now and will be where he will stay. Once he grows that out, I will just trim the roots and put him back in. He is loaded with key limes and wil likely grow even more there. I will post a pic tomorrow...it is dark now.

Comments (54)

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

I think slugs are the cause. I tried beer traps but that did not work well. This might be helpful: http://www.gardenmyths.com/eggshells-control-slugs/

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

Have you considered earwigs? Those little bastards hide in the leaves at the base of the plant and only come out at night. Your damage looks too neat to have been caused by slugs.

• Related Discussions

What's eating my kiwi leaves?

Q

Comments (9)
    OOP - sorry JM. Yer right - been around a long time. Actually, I have a good excuse. I worked almost 40 years as a medical transcriptionist - we had a lot of big words to spell (typed them from sound, rather than sight). It ruined me for English spelling - even tho I could spell the Latin words just fine. My co-workers used to tease me a lot. One of the worst ones that I hung up on were: peal for peel. basil for basal. their for there. and now loop for loupe. LOL. But just give me schizophrenia, thoracolumbar, costovertebral, etc., and I'm a real whiz. Just another 2 c's. Bejay
    ...See More

Eating the edges of the leaves of my Contender leaves

Q

Comments (1)
    Whenever I hear that description of damage (V-shaped notches), I always think of weevils. I'd do some investigating.
    ...See More

What's eating my Echinacea leaves (but not my Shasta Daisy)

Q

Comments (3)
    Someone on a different forum suggested I go out at night to see if whatever is eating my echinacea leaves is a "night-time" eater and sure enough, I saw something. Can someone tell me what this is and how I get rid of it?
    ...See More

urgent! What is eating my tomato plant leaves?

Q

Comments (2)
    My #1 suspect would be possible Flea Beetles. They are quick to jump off the plant when they see you coming. Very small critters about the size of a speck of black pepper. They prefer eggplant leaves but will attack pepper and tomato leaves too leaving behind little shotgun holes. After sunset but when it's still light enough to see them they usually won't jump away, that's a good time to inspect the leaves to confirm their presence.
    ...See More
  • orangelime1
    6 years ago

Good call John it could very well be earwigs I have seen them around the bottom of the pots not many but they are there . For sure the damage is being done during the night time hours i have never seen anything on my tree's that could cause a threat during the daytime.

Brian

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My vote is grasshoppers, I have the same damage on my Cara Cara leaves and I've caught many grasshoppers on that particular tree. Also on my Oro Blanco, not sure why they like those particular trees, maybe the leaves taste better to them. When I find them, I flick them off the leaves and it stuns them, then I squish them with my shoe, otherwise once they get over being flicked they jump back up on your tree and continue eating leaves. They're like caterpillars and have voracious appetites they'll eat a lot of leaves.

Evan

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

my vote is earwigs. I have the same damage on a lot of my plants and think it is time to do something against them. Just not sure what?

6 years ago

I still think it is slugs. Earwigs and grasshoppers make smaller holes and take out smaller pieces of leaves.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    6 years ago

I see that damage all the time in my yards (including now)... and I have caught them in action. Katydids (or grasshoppers when they come by). Every time I take a walkabout and spray the leaves, I see them make a move and slap them dead if I can reach them.

The damaged area is too vast / large for earwigs ( I haven't seen earwigs with huge bellies). Slugs / snails leave some veining behind; I have one tree in a slug/snail prone area and the damage is visibly different. The culprits are usually found camping out under the leaves. When I shake the tree vigorously, they usually fall out.

6 years ago

I closely inspect all of my trees once or twice daily and have never seen any grassshopers or katydids on them. Damage must occur at night - slugs.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    6 years ago

This time of year there are lots of caterpillars, such as leaf rollers, that are active. But if I saw a grasshopper, I wouldn't hesitate killing it!

6 years ago

It certainly could either / or / or both. I've included a few pictures describing what I see on my trees... My theory is that the katydids attack the upper new growth as they climb and adults can fly rather well. They eat in from the side. Sug/snail damage appears to begin on the lower leaves and include damage that begins at a random point in the center of the leaves. Usually, but not always they leave the veins on older leaves.

This first pic is of my Trovita this past January - note the veining left behind. This tree is close to wet landscaping and was covered with snails and slugs having a party...

And here is the same tree still having some problems in May,,, you can see the leaves with veining intact on the right.

OK, and here are a few pictures of the Katydid / combination damage.

Valencia - June: there are no slugs / snails in this dry area that has been consistently dosed with slug/snail killer. I have seen plenty of katydids though.

Just took these - Sanguinelli - and I believe they are from katydids as they are rather high up - have been killing several every week the past few weeks....

Happy hunting! I am gonna throw down a bunch of Slug/Snail killer today just in case!
    - George

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    6 years ago

I'm having this problem and its slugs doing the damage to my trees and plants.

6 years ago

now I need to know if it is possible to have katydids and how they look like as the damage on my leaves look the same. Will post pics later

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks guys. We have earwigs, but I've not seen many of them. I certainly have slugs, but I have noticed that they do damage the lower leaves. I have not ever had slug damage on my citrus perhaps because of the lips on the pots I use?? I don't know. I have had slug damage on purple decorative cabbage I have out front, but they do leave a trail, which I've not seen here. I think it was that green grasshopper I saw. We also have katydids here, but I rarely see them. Vladimir, although I inspect my trees during the day, that little grasshopper was the EXACT color of the leaves and was hiding underneath. One of the branches I posted is very tall and thin. I don't think a fat slug would have been able to get all the way up to the very top and do that. I guess my vote is for grasshoppers, but what can I do??

6 years ago

Katydids - buggers! [not my pic... ]

6 years ago

yup, have seen those. What can be done to prevent damage?

6 years ago

Here is one picture

I might have to spray with something to prevent further damage but what??

6 years ago

The fact that I see chewed leaves at the top of trees makes me think it is due to grasshoppers, which I have seen in my yard but not on my citrus, or katydids, which I have not seen. Here is what UC recommends for treatment:

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r107300411.html

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r107304311.html

I will probably do nothing as the damage is minimal.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've seen those, but what I saw yesterday was a grasshopper that blended PERFECTLY with the leaves...unbelievable...I almost missed him. He was in a chewed up tree. In a couple of my trees the damage is minimal, however, in the one I posted, all the new shoots are chewed down tremendously. I may cut those limbs back.

• tom1328732
    6 years ago

Yep, totally grasshoppers/katydids based on the fact that higher leaves are chewed. What can you do? Not much... just check them out once in a while and kill any perpetrators.

I did accidentally let a 2" long Great Black Wasp in my house earlier this week, but I braved the danger and managed to get it back outside once I found out it parasitizes katydids and grasshoppers almost exclusively. Apparently they are voracious hunters!

-Tom

6 years ago

This is why I hesitate to use any pesticides. I'd rather live with the ugly view and hop the next flush it becomes invisible. If the hoppers are getting too bad, might have to rethink the location of my trees. Most damage is on those that are standing in front of my fennel wall.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is one scary critter Tom! Tom, your comment from another thread was what made me start wondering and looking for them. I do think they devastated two limbs so much that I will trim them...ugh. I hate doing that.

6 years ago

Tom, he looks like something from a 1950's horror movie.

My trees are alongside a huge planting of wild flowers that have grown thick and stand 4 - 5 feet high. The bunnies like to hide in there and I am sure so do whatever is eating my citrus.

• tom1328732
    6 years ago

The clever things are amazing at blending in when they're at their fourth to sixth stage instars. I wouldn't prune those branches unless you have to because, believe it or not, they're still making food. I've had new buds burst into growth without even hardening off in situations like that during the same flush. Whether or not that's good, I don't know... it's more bug food, haha.

I was considering killing the wasp, but I figured I'd research it a little before I swung the axe. Glad I did because the enemy of my enemy is my friend! Especially when they capture up to 17 katydids per day per wasp (according to this, here's a link to the original source).

-Tom

• PKG
    6 years ago

Was able to go out and squash a huge green grasshopper yesterday that had been ravaging my tarocco orange for several weeks. He was the biggest hopper that I've ever seen and had bugged out eyes like some kind of alien visitor you see in Nevada! (+: When they get full they can't move very quickly so I was able grab him and throw him off the tree pretty easily.

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

Katydids are bad critters; they can devastate trees in a day or two; they are one of the few things I spray for supplementally when we get a big infestation. Mostly I rely on the wasps to keep the katydids under control. The systemic insecticide we use kills them and helps to break their life cycle; but not before they do a lot of damage. Ironically in Spanish the katydid is called Esperanza, which means hope.

6 years ago

Aren't grasshoppers and katydids edible... and tasty? I think I was told to give them a light toast on the grill to caramelize the citrus leaf sugars inside them.

I'll let you know... : - )

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL George....let us know ;-). John, that is ironic for sure. Tom, I guess if I see a wasp like that, I will pray it finds the crickets before it finds me! I have been looking again and have seen no grasshoppers and no new damage. I guess for now I'll let the branch go, but it looks so pathetic...

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

Wasps rarely sting humans, unless they are threatened. Luckily, at least for me, the smallest wasps are the best "enemies of my enemies"

• hibiscus909
    6 years ago

I would let the branch stay, unless you start to get brown (dead) stuff.

I found a katydid on my citrus a few weeks ago, quite by chance I just happened to see one of it's legs. Otherwise, it was incredibly well hidden, looked just like a leaf.

Problem is, they and their cousins, are so hard catch. Usually they fly/jump away too quickly. Looks like azadirachtin might be effective for control.

6 years ago

I have looked for katydids and have found none. Looked for grass hoppers and the only ones I found were in my vegetable garden. But then I noticed chewed leaves on my butterfly bushes, elderberries, coffee plants, wildflowers in my wildflower garden and some other plants. But I saw no katydids or grasshoppers!

• jinnylea
    6 years ago

Vladimir, katydids blend in so well! I found this guy on my citrus yesterday. (Yes, I found some holes in a few citrus plants also, guys! ) After I tried to catch him, he quickly flew over to my pomegranate. He is the same color as the pomegranate leaves.. I finally captured him and moved him to a different location out in the field with the milkweed and native wildflowers..

The grasshoppers have been munching on my raspberry leaves.. :(

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

My fruit trees and my vegetable plants are currently enjoying the outdoors on the 11th floor open balcony. I am noticing that earwigs are all over the place, are they harmful and what beneficial insect eats them?

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

Earwigs are inglorius bastards; they eat everything; and I don't know of any beneficials that eat them.... I think you have to deal with them with conventional insecticides. Cleanliness of the "floor" helps to limit the population as they like to hide under rotting leaves on the soil

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's a great pic Jinny! What amazing camouflage they have. Sunshine, JohnM above mentioned that they do eat leaves, but I don't know about beneficial insects. Hopefully he will chime in.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

Oops Laura, didn't read that part :) Your Nagami tree looks beautiful, how old is he/she?

Johnmerr, can you help how to get rid of them.

6 years ago

I decided to do nothing. Does not look pretty I admit but lately I see my Guinea Hens patrolling the trees. Watching closely and see what happens

• orangelime1
    6 years ago

Love that pic looks like I am going to hire a few of those guy's myself lol.

Brian

6 years ago

Brian they are some noisy birds but so funny to watch.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So cute! I have heard they are very effective at controlling insects. I hope they work for you! Sunshine, I got that kumquat about a year ago and it was a very robust tree then...he is even buffer now ;-). He is the twin of the kumquat I lost this winter. I have another just like him. I think we will have lots of kumquats this winter. My fukushu is also blooming like crazy, so I hope that we will soon get to taste the famous fruit.

• Bob
    6 years ago

I walk my yard 3 or 4 times a day, if i see one i step on them. I don't worry much about them. Maybe it is a beneficial thing like your too fast growing tree get stunted a bit and therefor flower sooner. Who knows.

• John 9a
    6 years ago

Since katydids are so good at blending in, sometimes the only time I see them is when I mow the yard. The are really good flyers and they take off and fly when the mower gets close to them. That's the time to shut down the mower and go catch and kill him. It's a kind thing to try to relocate some critters but this guy will probably be back eating your trees if you don't permanently dispatch with him.

My main pest this year is the citrus leaf miners. They are awful!

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Are not those Katydids the insects that sing at night in the trees to remind you that summer is almost over? I would give a tree of mine over to them if they are!

Laura, I have had the same damage mostly caused my grasshoppers right about this time of the year! If it is starting now, then I would assume grasshoppers since earwigs are out all summer and should of caused damage weeks ago like they did to one of mine placed near the ground.

Laura, good luck with them...Yikes(

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mike, the insects you are thinking of are cicadas. They are singing around my parts these days. They are fine and do no damage.

6 years ago

Cicadas lay eggs on the soil and the worms are the one doing big damage on root systems. Yup, I like to hear them too but not near my veggie garden

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

So, a little off topic, but I visited a local produce stand today and found a basket of oranges covered in barely visible off white insects with webs between the oranges. I didn't notice the 1000's of them till I picked one up - looked exactly like spider mites. Needless to say, I ran straight inside to change and wash before I checked on my trees Lol. It was disgusting!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yuck! Yes, I would have been scrubbing myself also. Were the oranges any good?

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Yuk is right!

Hey Laura, here is some very interesting stuff on the Katydids that I had no idea about! They are not like Cicada and sing by night! They are those bugs that croak from the tree tops all night long as soon as the sun sets.

Cicada sings or screeches by day on hot afternoons!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tettigoniidae

I'm thinking if they are active at night growing, and a lot like grasshoppers..Humm

• John 9a
    6 years ago

As a general note, I think it's a good idea to examine our plants at night if there are unknown pests eating them and no sign of the pest. I think katydids eat at night and I also found another pest at night that I didn't expect. One year I noticed something was eating my rose buds before they had time to flower and also eating the leaves. I couldn't find anything on the roses though. I finally went out at night and there were adult June bugs all over the roses.

• hibiscus909
    6 years ago

Um, maybe my cicadas are different? They are incredibly loud, almost painful if you are right next to them. Plus so creepy to see them. Interestingly, I had to leave a bed I was working on when a cicada-killer showed up with her meal and wanted to bury it right were I was working.

I have found it easiest to spot the legs or striped antennae of the katydids on the citrus, as the green body blends with the leaves.