SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisademagall

Question about Foliar treatment of Fish Emulsion

Citrus Killer
6 years ago

My search did not produce the answer to my question, but I know its been covered before, apologies for the redundancy...

I am currently dealing with a spider mite epidemic. I have lost a few battles along the way (2 fuchsia), but I am winning the war (HA! Take That spider mites!)

I have neemed all of the infected plants each week for three weeks, but would like a better preventative measure for my Meyer who is carrying fruit and has flower buds. As well as the fact that my citrus family is growing and neem is pricey-- I just found out that Hirt's garden center is a mere 45 minutes away and I may have treated myself to new citrus babies (a Cara Cara and a Persian Lime).

I purchased Alaska brand fish fertilizer, which the garden center said was the same as emulsion (5-1-1, thick, brown, and stinky). My question is on application rates and amounts? How often are you spraying plants? the bottle recommends 1 Tablespoon/ gallon water for outdoor container "soil application", are you all using the same amount for foliar application?

My plants and I thank you all for your continued support and wealth of knowledge. Many Thanks!

Comments (45)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

What is the point of the foliar application of the fish? Plants do not take in nutrients in any significant amounts via the foliage (so a very ineffective method of fertilization) and as often as one might need to apply the fish as a fertilizer, it is unlikely to have much impact on the spider mites. As the mites dislike humidity, just spraying down or misting the plants several times a week will have the same effect as the neem and at no cost.

Citrus Killer thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Citrus Killer
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Not interested in using as fertilizer, I have Foliage Pro for that, but trying to keep the upper-hand with spidermites. They have been brutal and spraying has helped, but not controlled the problem. We have had a very wet summer here in ohio, but they persist. I spray with hose at each watering, but I swear, I turn my head for one moment, and they are back at it. I HATE spidermites!

• Related Discussions

Fish/seaweed emulsion question.

Q

Comments (8)
    How long would a dustbin sized fermentaion take in cold weather? Possibly forever. The idea of these gardening teas is to wash the microbes off of the compost and feed them in a warm environment to multiply them by 1000x. I have put in fresh seaweed, rotton tomatoes, some grass clippings, few handfulls of chicken manure pellets, a bucketful of worm casts, urine, a couple of whole oily fish cubed, and about 300g of molasses raw sugar and a small air pump and sir stone, and filled the whole thing up with water until about 3 inches from the top. A 30-gallon tank could use as much air as you can get. When the bacteria and fungi start to multiply, all their offspring need air too. It is not very hard to run out of oxygen. It's quite a thick mixture, and fairly difficult to stir, if this makes any difference to fermentation, i don't know? Something's wrong. It should not be thick. The thing is, it's quite cold here in Britain (Kent, England) at the moment, only around 10C or so. I'm guessing this would slow down the microorganisms and make the whole process last a long time? That is a problem. 10C is a bare minimum where the microbes start to come alive. Even warming it up by 5 degrees would really help. I've had this going for about 5 days now, and it doesn't look as though any of the solid matter is breaking down at all. If you get it just a little warmer, 24 hours should be the maximum time to leave it. Longer and you will lose oxygen and kill the beneficial microbes. Is the idea to wait until all or most of the solids are turned to a liquid mush? You know, rotted out more or less completely? I've never seen this before. Again, the idea is to wash off the microbes. Once that's done, you can remove the compost solids and put them back into your compost bin. New to all this organic growing, but very keen to learn. I put up a website for a guy who didn't have time (at the time) to put it up. Click here to see how he made his compost tea maker.
    ...See More

Fish Emulsion ? about application

Q

Comments (7)
    Jim, are you using the FE strickly for fertilizer or an insect repellent? When I use for insect repellent, I measure 1 capful per 16oz mister..Shake well, then spray the entire plant. If you're using only for fertilizer, follow the container directions which is 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, then water plant..Either way, your citrus will be treated as a fertilizer, but as a foliar feeding, it'll work as a fertilizer and insecticide..It works simialar to oils, w/o chance of burn since it's organic. Toni
    ...See More

How to use Fish Emulsion

Q

Comments (29)
    I use it to give the plants a boost when I plant out. Also, I have some new beds this year that have quite a bit of organic matter that's still breaking down and could tie up nitrogen, so I use very diluted fish fertilizer when I water to try to make up for that while the organic matter breaks down (this is in addition to tomato/veg fert, which I apply regularly once fruiting starts). So far, plants seem happy, no sign of nitrogen excess or deficiency, but it's still earlyish. Because I just use tomato fertilizer on all my fruiting veg (just keeps thing simpler, fewer things to buy) I also use the fish fertilizer to supplement those plants that like a little more N than tomatoes. The fish fertilizer is good for leaf veggies. I don't foliar feed. I already do regular preventive spraying for fungal diseases and will spray if I have pest issues (thinking of adding a capsaicin product for squirrels and chipmunks), and too many things sprayed on the plants seems kind of silly, as it seems I'd constantly be washing off what I previously sprayed, etc., plus, more importantly, I'd spend ALL of my time spraying, which is not my favorite activity. Since I've never had problems with deficiencies when I apply fertilizer to ground/roots, I haven't yet felt a need to feed via foliage.
    ...See More

Fish emulsion vs Neptunes for pest control

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey Barb... Fish Emulsion works wonders for me all summer, and I never have to worry about leaves burning too or to much build up of oils if used often that can suffocate leaves besides bugs..It has to be a good quality pressed cold one such as Neptunes Harvest... I find it most certainly deters pests before they ever start, but can take a bit longer to rid them if one is not consistent with using it when allowing bugs to take hold..I spray my plants every 2 weeks or so until they come in... I wish I could use that all year since it does not affect the leaves ability to grow properly when use as often as you would like while just enough oil deters mites and other sucking insects for me... I also love the Neem, but one has to be very careful with it, even though natural and it can kill blossoms and force fruit to drop suddenly...
    ...See More
  • Silica
    6 years ago

For application of various micro nutrients, foliar application is very helpful for citrus trees. Foliar sprays are not intended to replace root zone fertilizer applications, but never the less they are quite beneficial to the tree. The nutrients applied by foliar spray can absorb into the leaf as long as what is applied remains on the leaf in the liquid state. For nitrogen applications the most easily absorbed form as a foliar spray is urea (low biuret formulations)..

Citrus Killer thanked Silica
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Absolutely no benefit of using fish emulsion to control spider mites other than the humidity factor of spraying any liquid on the foliage. But as that is the case, why not just continue to use plain old water?? You may need to hose down or spray the plants daily at least (if not more often) to effect complete control but then just the occasional humidification of the plants should be sufficient to keep the mites at bay.

Are these indoor or outdoor plants?

Citrus Killer thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

Label says to use pine oil based cleaner for cleanup which leads me to conclude that it is an oil/water emulsion which should suffocate mites, although it is not formulated for that purpose.

Citrus Killer thanked Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
  • myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

You know, I can't scientifically tell you why my trees never have a mite, scale, mealy, or thrip issues when they come in or all summer, but all I can tell you is that I regularly use Neptune's Harvest on mines for the reason of controlling pests and it works...If I did not do that, just watering the leaves alone does not work, for I tried that one year and I was sorry I did.

Mike))

Citrus Killer thanked myermike_1micha
  • johnmerr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

For everyone who uses or advocates the use of Neem, it is a BROAD SPECTRUM INSECTICIDE; that means it kills all your beneficials that aid in the control of mites. Simple washing of the plant goes a long way to controlling mites. Horticultural oil is helpful in controlling scale and spider mites. By applying neem, you are killing everything that is trying to help you. A few years ago in my Antigua garden I had a nest of Brachonid wasps; my wife wanted me to kill them because they "bothered" the guests. No one was ever stung; but she persisted until I agreed and killed the nest. Within 3 weeks we had the largest infestation of scale on my Meyer lemons!!! Now we have the wasps back; but luckily for me, the nest in on the neighboring property.

Citrus Killer thanked johnmerr
  • Citrus Killer
    Original Author
    6 years ago

gardengal48 they are potted, zone 6 Cleveland, OH and on the deck with southern exposure for the summer. Misting with water several times a day-indoors or out- had zero effect. Hosing them off certainly slows them down, and neeming kills what is active on the plant at the time, but i read that it can cause fruit or flower drop. I feel like I am just chasing the mites from one plant to the next, and at the moment they are the most controlled (several bottles of neem product later). I guess the solution is to move my most treasured plants to a better hose off location and give em a good spray each morning, cause moisture alone is not enough. Thanks.

• Citrus Killer
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mikerno_1micha "my trees never have a mite......" So stinking jealous over here! I swear there is a direct correlation between the money spent on plants, and the mites desire to kill it...honestly, there are acres of woods for them to eat, but no, they don't want that...how about the plants I purchased on sale for $6.99 a flat, I've plenty of those....but NAY! those little buggers go after all the good plants! So Mike, how "regularly" are you spraying FE on your plants? Once a week? twice?

• Citrus Killer
    Original Author
    6 years ago

johnmerr I know, I know....its a broad spectrum, that is why I am looking at other options

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

How many trees do you have?

How big are they?

• Citrus Killer
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mike, I have 4 trees that I plan to overwinter: a Key Lime and Meyer Lemon (both have had mites) and my two new trees a cara cara and persian lime. All of them are record buck farm rootings, so they are small. The two new ones are 1-2 ft, no fruit or flowers, and the key lime and meyer are 3 foot of so and both are carrying fruit.

At the moment, both the new plants are in quarantine on the north side of the house, so it may be a good opportunity for a control group/ test of sorts. Perhaps I move the Meyer and Key lime closer to the hose, where they will get a daily shower. And the two newbies can get a Fish emulsion spray (I still don't know how often would be appropriate) and then I can compare which methods are best suited to this little problem of mine...

• Silica
    6 years ago

In an above post Gardengal suggest --- "why not just continue to use plain old water??"--- to rid a plant of spider mites. This suggestion did not seem to be received well by other members as a viable solution. In my greenhouse I have a professional restaurant stainless steel double sink with the typical sprayer that restaurants use to clean off food scraps from the dishes.. I have long taken container plants of all kind over to the sink and washed off spider mites. The mites are gone, and the plants like a good bathing. I has worked well for me for YEARS. If the container plant is to large, then I spray with Ultra Pure horticultural oil.

• Citrus Killer
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I cannot speak for others, but for myself I always wish for a one-stop-shop-treatment, unrealistic though it may be. Its a pain in the butt to drag plants about and haul out the hose each day, especially once indoors. And I am sure that my poor citrus trees think its a pain in the butt to have to be grown in a pot- in zone 6a! All the while the spidermites merrily snack away.

So, I either get in line, and bath my plants daily, or I continue to lose plants to mites. Moisture alone, however, has had zero effect on my mites, washing them off by hand each day, does.

• Silica
    6 years ago

It seems a bit excessive to wash off a tree every day. I wash them only when I find a problem.

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

Spider mites like dry and dirty (dusty) conditions. Washing the plant with a good spray once a week is usually enough to control them.

• Sammers510
    6 years ago

To me the hardest part of washing the tree every day would be not getting the potting medium wet as to not cause a constant wet environment for the roots. How do you guys keep the water from going into the pot? I like to water with a watering can (faster per pot and better control for me) but have taken to using the hose with a sprayer (because of my back) and spraying down the leaves as well when I water but that's about every 2-4 days depending on the heat, even when I've tried just getting the leaves a decent amount of water still runs down into the pot.

As for the Fish Emulsion I only recently got some and only applied one application before hurting my back and not being able to get out into the garden much. If you want to see if it works for you start with the recommended dose 1x a week and see how it does. You may be able to go every two weeks but I suspect it will be a trial and error process.

Citrus Killer thanked Sammers510
  • myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

The reason why I asked is because there are a few things that have also worked very well for me in the past, before I even used Fish Emulsion..

Why not get the stuff they sell at Home Depot or Lowe's, called'Horticultural Soap, by Safer's and use that once every 3 to 4 days until the mites have died?

Or you could use a safe soapy water, preferably a good natural soap mixed with Rosemary Oil..Do that once every 3 to 4 days for about three weeks..

Too, you could keep them at bay while outside with a hose and spray under the leaves upwards about once a week every week which would also control them.

Here is three safe methods along with Fish Emulsion one that would get rid of them in a jiffy but the key is to maintain your regimen and not loose a beat!

They are small enough for a hand sprayer and should have no mites at all after about three weeks of treatment.

Mike

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

I wish this would work for scales and ants too. I swear, the ants are hiding the scales somewhere and every time I think they are gone, some new are appearing. Not as fast as in the beginning of the growing season but still reappearing.

• robin98
    6 years ago

At the risk of being shot down, how about using a chemical treatment? I have treated mites (came in on a new lemonade tree, spread to two other citrus) with a mite & insect spray (called Mavrik here) containing tau-fluvalinate, a new generation synthetic pyrethroid. Labelled as "gentle on beneficials such as ladybirds & lacewings" (how, I don't know), and "non-toxic to honey bees once the spray has dried" (spray at dusk to avoid the bees).

Did it three times, mites gone, haven't come back (so far, that was last year). While I'm generally not a fan of chemicals, it worked with three treatments. It sounds like all of the safer/more organic type treatments require many more goes. So, overall, would the beneficial insect carnage be more with 30 oil or neem or insecticidal soap sprayings, or with only 3 pyrethroid sprays? Just something to consider...

Of course I did remove all the developing fruit, which was sad, as I didn't want to eat sprayed fruit, at least not from my own garden (supermarket apples are just laden with chemicals, and I eat those...), but the trees probably needed that while they were recovering anyway. I wouldn't use this as a preventive, which is what you're after, but it sounds like you should get the problem under control first and then look at prevention. Just my two cents worth... :)

Citrus Killer thanked robin98
    6 years ago

I think for mites it is just overkill

• Silica
    6 years ago

Actually I have find it quite easy to eradicate mites.. One (1) thorough spray with a horticultural oil and its done. If you want an insect DIFICULT to get rid of, try eliminating white fly.

6 years ago

Ha, not a greenhouse owner yet. But I can imagine that this is a pest not easy to get rid off.

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

gardengal said, What is the point of the foliar application of the fish? Plants do not
    take in nutrients in any significant amounts via the foliage (so a very
    ineffective method of fertilization) and as often as one might need to
    apply the fish as a fertilizer, it is unlikely to have much impact on
    the spider mites.

and

Absolutely no benefit of using fish emulsion to control spider mites
    other than the humidity factor of spraying any liquid on the foliage.

gg, I promise I'm not following you around to disagree with you ;-) This isn't supposed to be a disagreement, but more of an explanation - a theoretical explanation. The theory for spraying seaweed, molasses, compost tea, and even milk, on the exterior of plants is to feed the microbes living there. I believe it was something Dr Ingham wrote many years ago that indicated there were 20 "layers" of microbes living on the leaves and stems of plants. I believe she wrote that back in her early compost tea days. By feeding the external microbes they become more healthy. Apparently these external microbes help the plant to resist and fight against both disease and insect pests. When the microbes are healthy they do a better job of it.

As an anecdotal example of similar theory, we had a botanical research hobbyist in San Antonio for a long time who invited me into his greenhouse one day. He showed me three plants in 4-inch pots. I don't know what the plants were, but they had enough foliage that it extended beyond the pot rims. He had them pushed together so that the canopies intermingled. One of the plants was covered in aphids while the other two had no aphids. The research he was doing was on potting mixes. It was a double blind test, so he did not know what was in each of the pots. All he knew was that one had plain Walmart generic potting soil, one had Walmart generic plus compost, and the last had Walmart plus compost and crushed basalt. He was testing for root mass development and not testing for insect resistance, but the way our conversation was going, he wanted me to see these plants. His theory for the insect invasion on one plant was the idea that a healthy plant will resist aphids. If you are thinking like a scientist, then you're thinking that this proves nothing. One sample is an anecdote. As impressive as it was to see aphids on one plant and not on the others, I would very much like to see the test done on 30 groups of plants and not on just one group. Still it is findings like this that should spur research at universities.

• Silica
    6 years ago

Actually, nutrient foliar sprays, at least commercially, is not intended to nourish microbes, but is done to nourish the tree.

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

Silica, the microbes have a symbiotic relationship with the plant. By feeding the microbes, they will help the tree. As gardengal mentioned, the leaves and stems of most plants are not good at direct "foliar" feeding as it has been advertised for decades. Healthy external microbes can take some of the stress off of a plant which can make the plant look better. Increased turgidity and improved color can give the effect of feeding, but I don't think the plant is directly feed by the seaweed.

Plants feed themselves with photosynthesis to produce sugars. Normally the roots exchange some of those sugars for other nutrients found in the soil by a biological activity with soil microbes. Osmotic pressures also come into play in the root zones.

• Silica
    6 years ago

Well, dchall, we will have to agree to disagree. Foliar sprays are normally intended to add micronutrients, witch do absorb into the leaf structure itself. If any microbes would like to munch on the trace minerals before absorption so be it.

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

We absolutely disagree on that point. Perhaps if you could further define the word, absorb, in terms of a biological process, it would help me to understand what you're thinking.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

The Myth of Foliar Feeding

If you use a liquid fertilizer that contains all the necessary micronutrients - such as any of the Dyna Gro products - then the need for any foliar applications of fertilizers are non-existent. And since the OP stated that the intent was not for the purpose of fertilization - he is using the DG Foliage Pro for that - it is just the issue of whether or not a foliar application of fish emulsion will control spider mites. And the answer to that is no.

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

Ahhh, so, gg, you're a follower of Dr Chalker-Scott. I consider her to be a well educated crackpot with an anti organic agenda. She fits right in with Dr Jerry Parsons from Texas A&M. I believe in both cases they are intelligent enough to understand microbiology, they simply don't want to try. That might be why we occasionally disagree.

I agree with you that fish emulsion will not directly control spider mites. And I (begrudgingly) agree with Dr Chalker-Scott that micro ounces of foliar nutrients do not provide sufficient sustenance to support a plant. However, to summarize what I said above, I believe the fish emulsion will help the plant to keep spider mites from coming to visit in the first place.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

LOL!! Gosh, I didn't realize being a PhD in horticulture with minors in both biology and botany qualify one as being a 'crackpot' :-)) Not to demean your experience at all, dchall, but maybe you could enlighten us as to what educational background YOU have that makes your assessment of two highly educated plant scientists as particularly accurate or relevant?? It would appear to me that having an education but not sharing your very narrow viewpoint automatically qualifies anyone as being a crackpot or the information they impart wrong. I am happy to encounter disagreement but it is really more of an interpretation of experience than it is a situation of being right or wrong.

As to having an "anti-organic agenda", I see no sign of that in any of her publications. She is not pro-organic by any means but neither is she pro synthetic ferts and pesticide usage either. I actually find her opinions and recommendations rather middle of the road. btw, her opinions and the scientific substantiation of her publications are not hers alone.......they are shared by many in similar positions.

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

Whoa, Gardengal.... I am the resident curmudgeon on this site....internationally certified. We allow here almost all opinions; whether they are valid, supported, or just dreamed up. As for me, I have quite a bit of experience, but only in one small thing; but I don't come to this forum to teach; I come here to learn. Some say experience is the best teacher; but it is often expensive and too often painful. The experience of OTHERS is the best teacher; it is painless and free.

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Look I LOVE you all and I have no problem with any of you..

I may not have a 'scientific ' explanation about my success with fish emulsion, but in my case and that of many of my friends it DOES control mites and even smothers them with the oily residue left behind, that is if you are using what I use, COLD PRESSED FE from Neptune's Harvest...I always have a problem with them on tomato plants unless I use it and even my peppers. I always HAD a problem with mites before using the stuff, and I never do anymore..I have never had a problem with white flies......Fish Emulsion for me = no mites, scale or mealies...That's in fact here in my case and that of many others...If you don't think it does, no problem...)

But if i feel it can help many others, I am going to say it even if others disagree...))

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

Mike,

We all learn from experience; and the best is the experience of others. I have learned much from you and your experiences; they are valued here. The experiences of others at times encourage me to try things for myself... sometimes I get the same results; and sometimes I don't, but at least I learn something. It is a little like playing poker... if you lose, at least you have learned some lessons; if you win, you probably did not learn anything, but at least you have some money; the worst is to break even... you have only wasted your time.

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

dchall - You said:

By feeding the external microbes they become more healthy. Apparently
    these external microbes help the plant to resist and fight against both
    disease and insect pests. When the microbes are healthy they do a
    better job of it.

Can you back up this statement with references to peer reviewed scientific papers?

6 years ago

Mike I spray regularely with neptuns and no mites, aphids or mealy bugs. Scales is different. Not as many as in the beginning but still not completly gone. And ants still there too. Maybe if I find a safe way to remove the ants?

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

No ants, no aphids. Scale is a different critter, most commonly spread by birds... sometimes by butterflies, human clothing, or even wind. My most powerful ally in controlling scale are wasps, most particularly the Brachonid wasp; but systemic insecticide helps a lot.

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

John your words are very kind and coming from you that means a lot considering I have learned much from you too, while even learning about how scale is brought about and how best to control that..I had no idea..Thanks!

Susanne, don't give it, they will eventually die off like mine did. It can take some time but systemic is the fastest way for many. I have been there and done that but now that I use FE on a regular basis, I no longer have to worry about any other method. Once they are gone they can be easily controlled..

• robin98
    6 years ago

Back to the OP's question, directed at those who use FE for spider mite control : how often are you spraying and what dose are you using?

Citrus Killer thanked robin98
    6 years ago

once every week one gallon and one tbl FE

Citrus Killer thanked Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
  • myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

I use about a cup per gallon.....Probably a lot more than most do..........Once every week until they come in starting in August. Every once in a while when they are outside.

6 years ago

oh, you really use a lot more then I do. Maybe I should up my dosage to get rid of the scales before winter.

So, this is what you use in your greenhouse? I just can not imagine using it during the wintertime in the house because of the smell

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

I don't have to use it ever in the house....I use a softer version or Neem mixed with alchohol and a bit of natural soap and at times I ad Rosemary Oil since I hate the smell of Neem. Or I get lazy and just use Horticultural Soap to get me through but so far I have had no need.

Maybe the reason why I have no scale and other pest of that nature that everyone else seems to get is because I make a much stronger mix. Still my mix has never burned the leaves on my plants when spraying early in the morning or later in the afternoon or even in the afternoon when it was the only time I had time to.

There is also a very good product that will wipe out mites and other pest rather quickly that you can put on the end of a hose and do a very good soaking on all your plants that many I know that do and have great success..They us All Seasons Dormant Oil...

6 years ago

I'm lanning to use that before the trees coming in for the winter. Just to make sure this time that I don't bring any unwanted guests. Mike when do you bring your trees in? Last year I had them out till beginning of november. First cold nights in october I just moved them to the house wall and covered with fleece. This year I have to bring the little once earlier, thinking end of september. Just not long enough house wall ;)