SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonnynathy

Transplanted my rose, did I kill it?

jonnynathy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,
I have been lurking on this forum for awhile now and learnt a lot so I want to say thanks first and foremost.

I am in Vancouver so zone 7b to 8. So my father bought some roses to plant in the garden around early April, he planted a Mister Lincoln in the shade without researching much. I read everywhere that the rose needs to be in as much sun as possible so I decided to transplant it.

So in mid June after the 3 blooms it were spent. I transplanted the rose to the front of the house with full sun. I also buried the bud union about 2 inches below grade. However, all the foliage started to slowly fall off, I thought this was normal from what I have read. I watered it whenever I felt the surface top 2 inches was dry (about twice a week). This summer the temperature has been hovering around 25 degrees C (around 80 F). It has been about 4 weeks since I transplanted the rose and the bush has been completely without foliage for 2 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be putting out any new growth. So did I completely kill the bush?? I regret transplanting it now. The main canes are still green but the top canes are turning to a brown color.

What should I do? Should I just call it dead? I carefully uncovered the top layer of soil to see if there were new growth underneath and the canes are still bright green but no visible growth.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES