SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elohbee

Refinishing stair railing

elohbee
6 years ago

When attempting to clean 35 years of grime build up off my stair railing (using soapy water and a rag), I managed to remove most of the grime, but also most of the finish and a fair bit of the stain too. No big loss as I never loved it.

I'd like to refinish the railing and the post with a black or almost black stain (I'm open to paint if stain will be a giant PITA, but would prefer stain. I'll paint spindles white. I'm pretty sure it's all pine, if that matters.

So, what is the best way to go about refinishing the post and rail? Can I sand lightly and use a gel stain? Or do I need to sand down to bare wood? The post still has far more stain than the railing--will a dark stain mask that or do I need to get them looking the same to start?

Also, please note I embrace the "done is better than perfect" philosophy. I'm ok with cutting some corners in the interest of the project actually getting done, so I'm good with "good enough" (ie, the approach that doesn't require me to spend 72 hours sanding).

Comments (3)